Fear of Heights

Reaction score
I am a real estate photographer and bought a P3S 3 weeks ago in order to add aerial photography to my business. I'm practicing every day but have run into a slight problem - I seem to have a psychological aversion to flying high and over the tops of the homes I'm filming. I'm a photographer at heart and the drone is simply a tool to get my camera in the air. Has anyone else experienced this 'barrier'? Do I just need more stick time to conquer this fear?

I am a real estate photographer and bought a P3S 3 weeks ago in order to add aerial photography to my business. I'm practicing every day but have run into a slight problem - I seem to have a psychological aversion to flying high and over the tops of the homes I'm filming.
The Phantom has no fear .. it goes wherever you send it.
But for most real estate shooting you should avoid going too high anyway unless you want to show a map-like view of the whole property.
Too many beginners shoot from too high and the result is that you just show the roof.
No-one is wanting to buy the roof ... they want to see the house and its setting.
You'll get the best results from 10-40 feet in most situations

Reactions: Airbroker
I would suggest you go to rural land, a large open sports field or park and get some more air time and you will overcome that fear. It just takes a little experience and you will wonder why you were so bothered by it in the first place. :D

Well, most Phantom owners would say that as long as you can still see your Phantom there is no reason to worry. If you fly over a house, just keep it high enough to keep it in sight. If you wish to fly at roof height over a house than just ensure your surrounds are clear before trying and your worries will dissapear. If there are trees around just be sure to fly higher than the trees.

Also... if ever you lose transmission signal just raise the controller high or move 10 feet in a different direction and you'll probably reestablish the connection. Finally put your faith in Return to Home. I can assure you it works brilliantly. Good luck!

I have a fear of heights as well but that's only when I'm on a ladder, or in an airplane, or when my feet are not on the ground. But I have not had a fear of heights from flying my P3S.

Thanks for your sage advice. Meta4 - yes, most of the RE photography from a drone is really bad. Way too high and doesn't tell the proper story. My problem is getting over the highest trees. I've been practicing in an open field as you suggest LuvMyTJ, but the fear sets in when I'm over a home or trees. I guess more practice will reduce/eliminate the fear. One note of interest - my fear has increased as I've spent time reading this forum. Any correlation?

Thanks for your sage advice. Meta4 - yes, most of the RE photography from a drone is really bad. Way too high and doesn't tell the proper story. My problem is getting over the highest trees. I've been practicing in an open field as you suggest LuvMyTJ, but the fear sets in when I'm over a home or trees. I guess more practice will reduce/eliminate the fear. One note of interest - my fear has increased as I've spent time reading this forum. Any correlation?
Trees are the number one Phantom killer so you should be cautious when flying close to them.
Take it easy, take your time and be careful if you have to get in close.

Fear is probably a manifestation of mistrust. Continue flying until you trust the drone is doing what you want it to do. Once you trust it won't fly off or crash into something the fear will dissipate....

Reactions: cr6 and Airbroker

As others have said, the fear goes away with trust that nothing bad will happen. It just takes time. I can understand increased fear from reading this forum. Here you will find all your fears manifest in other folks' bad experiences! Mostly people share their bad experiences in order to understand what went wrong and prevent it in the future. So you generally read all the negative instead of the positive. Remember those who might write about their positive experiences are still out there flying around and not posting here!

I am a real estate photographer and bought a P3S 3 weeks ago in order to add aerial photography to my business. I'm practicing every day but have run into a slight problem - I seem to have a psychological aversion to flying high and over the tops of the homes I'm filming. I'm a photographer at heart and the drone is simply a tool to get my camera in the air. Has anyone else experienced this 'barrier'? Do I just need more stick time to conquer this fear?
Don't feel bad. When I fly Nadir (camera pointing straight down), my brain cannot comprehend it! I have over 3,000 hrs flying the MQ-1B Predator for the U.S. Air Force. The predict cannot look Nadir. The MTS, cameras go apeshit. So when I'm flying my P34K, if I'm looking Nadir, and the acft is moving, my brain hurts, I get disoriented and almost an instant headache...
Take your time. Fly with the camera looking straight ahead or even up to the +30 degrees up. Stop moving the acft, then pan down. Slow movements to frame your shot.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a fear of heights as well. I noticed that my actual fear of heights has translated to a fear of flying my drone at any great height. I've only flown my P3P a few times since I bought it a few months ago, but when I first started, I would look down at the screen on my phone, and when I saw the view and how high it was, it made me feel like I was up there myself, and the fear of heights would grip me. As I've flown the drone more, I've become more confident and less fearful. Today I took it out in an open field outside of town and just let it soar up as high as I was still able to see it. It performed very well, and I never lost control of it, even for a second. I just told myself "The drone WANTS to go higher." This experience has made me less fearful, and who knows, maybe this will end up being therapeutic for me, and help me overcome my fear of heights. Maybe drones can help other people deal with their fear of heights she same way it's helped me ...sort of like a "drone therapy."

Fly by sight and don't look at the video feed.
You can fly from the driveway, you don't have to be on the roof to fly over it.

I have a fear of heights as well but that's only when I'm on a ladder, or in an airplane, or when my feet are not on the ground. But I have not had a fear of heights from flying my P3S.

Maybe go see some of those I-Max movies where they fly over cliff edges with the camera.

H
I have watched a few of those. They don't really bother me.

Hated they never put the camera on the nose of the space shuttle booster. After separation when it was tumbling it would be wild. But if that big screen doesn't bother you, a 4" iphone won't.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj