FCP question: creating Proxy or Optimized Media (at Import)

Reaction score
[FCP users question] Hi FCP users - I am just starting to use FCP for editing 2.7k MOV files on my 2013 MacBookPro - just for fun. (So just learning FCP basics)

My media files tend to be 30 seconds to 5 minutes long, and I'll probably have a dozen per project. Final projects will be about 5 minutes long.

In the Transcoding section of the Import window :

Options:

"Create Optimized Media" - it creates different versions of the files

Or "Create Proxy Media"

I know that I might want to do this - to reduce load on computer, and to speed up the editing process (for it to draw previews, etc)

Any recommendations? I know using either option will cause it to change the source media, or create proxy media.... what are the pros and cons? What is the best option? Thanks.

[FCP users question] Hi FCP users - I am just starting to use FCP for editing 2.7k MOV files on my 2013 MacBookPro - just for fun. (So just learning FCP basics)

My media files tend to be 30 seconds to 5 minutes long, and I'll probably have a dozen per project. Final projects will be about 5 minutes long.

In the Transcoding section of the Import window :

Options:

"Create Optimized Media" - it creates different versions of the files

Or "Create Proxy Media"

I know that I might want to do this - to reduce load on computer, and to speed up the editing process (for it to draw previews, etc)

Any recommendations? I know using either option will cause it to change the source media, or create proxy media.... what are the pros and cons? What is the best option? Thanks.

Hi John,
my rule of thumb is: if i need to PREVIEW my files, then I just import them on FCP without transcoding. However, when I need to WORK/EDIT, then transcoding is practically essential. Just account the processing time and the space required by your "optimized" media.
Working on non transcoded/optimized media is really annoying and practically not recommendable.

I have no experience on proxy media workflow though.

Cheers

I check both to edit more quickly. When done you need to be sure to flip the view option to original before rendering. Doh!

Then you'll get an export file of low quality because the export was based on the proxies instead of the full-res originals.

I never bother with proxies and I've been editing for years. The only time o ever did was when I was working in the field on national news and speed was the issue. If you're not time pressured just let FCPX import and create optimised media. You don't have to wait tho. You can edit straight away.

Proxies are useful for me so I can edit and preview without stuttering and skips on my old MacBook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.