Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FC40 stock distance shocker

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by jetdust, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jetdust

This past weekend I was in an area with no gsm coverage, limited cdma coverage, and virtually no wifi networks in Norther Michigan. I just mapped out how far I went FPV using just the FC40 camera and managed to go 1300' which is way more than I can go around my home where everybody has wifi in their homes.. I suspect the lack of interference really makes a huge difference!

2. ericdes

Is that 1300 feet?

Some have gotten 5000 feet and more in a rural area. Just check out some Vision owners and what they say.

I know I am not willing to push it out that far, but many do.

3. chrisc

The most I've done is 750feet with the wifi camera in a built up residential area.
    If you was getting video from the FC40 camera at that distance that is amazing.

4. nintendrone64

Technically, all Phantoms are capable of hitting 4000 feet before losing connection with the your remote controller. Anyone saying they went past that must have a different set up because the stock setup has a max of 4000 feet!
    You'll definitely get more range in just a large open space, but just try to time your battery if you're going real far!

5. ericdes

6. rduffman

I typically get between 130-170 meters with mine if I use my iPad 3. With the iPhone 5 the video is a bit more choppy and slightly less distance.

7. Big Ben

Last week I made a few flights trying to see how far I still got WiFi signal from the FC40 camera. I had the camera facing sideways and flew in CL or HL so I could see the image tilting when flying further and levelling during hover. During two flights at a certain point repeated stick actions moving the Phantom further out didn't result in the image tilting anymore so I concluded it was outside WiFi range. Later at home when checking the distance of the farthest position as visible from the video with a digital map I came to the conclusion it didn't tilt anymore because I probably had reached the limit of my geofence setting at 300m. This was all stock gear. So now I have increased that setting to 350m but haven't had the chance to do additional testing to find out whether I can still get signal from beyond that 300m point.

At that distance it was near the limit of visual range. When I changed from looking at the Phantom to my phone and back it had become difficult to find/see the Phantom again. Once I couldn't find it and simply flew it back. One trick I discovered is to fly it a little bit back and then out again so it shows the red and green leds because of the tilting. That helps in locating it again.