FC40 how to tell distances away?

Before I order the the Flytrex thats on clearence for $30 I just want to make sure that it will work for my FC40 which I just prchased. It is 5.8ghz and has been connected to the software which already had the most current version. Will I run into any problems if I install the one on clearence? I believe I will need to also buy the cord for the phantom and will have to open up the body, correct?

You should not have any problems with it working if you get the cable with it to. and make sure to get the phantom cable when you order it cause they are getting hard to find the cables for the first version flytrex core..

and yes you do have to open up the shell and also need to find a way to route the cable to the outside the 2 easiest ways to do it is to either cut a tiny notch out of the edge of the shell and put some tape on the wire so it can pinch in between the 2 halves of the shell when its back together. or if you want to run it out of one of the holes in the legs you will have to take the wires out of the connector using a safety pin or a sewing needle to remove the wires and connector pins from the black plastic plug. then feed the wire threw one of the holes in the landing gear and then put the pins back in the plug.

On mine I did the notch and ran the wire out the side and then used some hot glue to keep the wire laying flat against the shell were i ran it down to the belly. and have it mounted between the camera and the usb port.

Total came out to $46.98 for the flytrex and cable

So shipping was not included then?

Yep it will not let you out of there without $8 shipping but its no problem just wanted to let everyone know :)

J.James said:
So shipping was not included then?

I just received my Flytrex 2 today. I installed it with no issues, however, after my first flight with it I noticed it created the FPV file on my SD card. When I tried to upload it to the website it immediately says the webpage can't be found. I checked some of the forums and found that most people say you can not use an "HC" card. Is this true? Is this why I can't get the file to upload or view any of the data? I am confused because I also read some posts where some people said you can use "HC" cards in the Flytrex 2.

HC humm..... I'm not familiar with the term. is that a brand or is it some thing else ?

Tho if when you up loaded it and it said page cant be found that almost sounds like a problem on the flytrex server. Some times I get a file or to that just wont load and the file is just corrupted. and only a few kb in size. And they just wont up load. So maybe try makeing a few more files and see if you can get any of them to load. Even if you dont take a flight you should be able to just plug the battery in for a minute and un plug it and it should make a file that just wont have much of any thing interesting in it. Except for maybe a few feet distance and altitude from picking it up and moving it while its recording.

After trying everything included what J.James said without it working I contacted Flytrex. They said that sometimes Internet Explorer is touchy and may not support HTML5. They suggested I try Google Chrome or Firefox. So, I tried Google Chrome and it works perfectly. Even after downloading all updates for IE I can't get it to work. I guess Google Chrome it will be.

Thanks for the help.

mikey said:
Thanks everyone. Lots of great ideas. Also seems my answer has been answered in that if one wants to get the actual distance you need to make mods (flytex or ground station) to your setup. It's a shame each of those options seems to be around the $200 mark.

Today I took my phantom up high enough that I lost my FPV.. or at least that's why I thick I lost the connection... I was disappointed that when I came back down (within 50ft) it had trouble connecting again. not sure if perhaps it would have been wise to close the app and reopen it for a better connection?

If you are using the cam that came with the FC40 get a WIFI booster and set it up with your cam, the setup in this vid will bost the distance a few hundred meters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr_CHLscqo but the more money you spend on the idea the further you will get, also you can but i have not done this open the camera up detach the antenna an solder an external screw type aerial lead to your cam so its possible to screw on a better antenna

an even better option for even more fpv range instead of using one of them extenders which will get your FPV to about 300m.
I you get a kindle fire even a regular non hd one can be had for a good price. and a mount for them is under $20
The indle will get you out to almost 400m with out any mods or extra battery mods to power it. The kindle an also be modded to have an eternal antennas also for even further range still. and if you also do the antenna mod on the camera then I'm sure that's going to couple together for even more range on top of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues