Fc40 help ?

Reaction score
Hi people looking for some help I am new to the group also new to phantoms I purchased a f240 from eBay for some reason I didn't read the discription which normally I always do I only checked when it came and noticed it said it had a intermittent fault which I asked the seller what it was his reply was well I crashed it and replaced the shell sometimes the motors come on sometimes they don't which I have noticed I took the shell off and checked for splits on wires looses wires cracks on the board but nothing everything looks fine when it does power up it flys well but when it fires up one motor struggles when the rest come on almost like juddering but after about 3 seconds it turns on and maintains its speed with the other motors could someone please help sometimes it doesn't find a GPS either checked the cermatic patch that is fine has had a new compass lead as there is a spare in the box I've done a firmware update last night the only thing I could see on the board was dust would yous recommend wiping it down ? Thanks

It sounds like one or more motors might have suffered in the crash, sometimes a shaft gets bent which means it may struggle to spin at low revs. I would have a look at the motor and spin it by hand. If it feels rough compared to the others then I would consider replacing it. If it's not a bent motor shaft it might be a problem with the bearings so it's also worth checking to see if it runs hot compared to the other motors. Do you get GPS at all? Does it lock onto satellites but then you lose the signal? Make sure you are in an open area when you start the bird and wait for the maximum signals before flying. I'm pretty sure that dust on the GPS module won't be the issue

Reactions: Gavh94
It sounds like one or more motors might have suffered in the crash, sometimes a shaft gets bent which means it may struggle to spin at low revs. I would have a look at the motor and spin it by hand. If it feels rough compared to the others then I would consider replacing it. If it's not a bent motor shaft it might be a problem with the bearings so it's also worth checking to see if it runs hot compared to the other motors. Do you get GPS at all? Does it lock onto satellites but then you lose the signal? Make sure you are in an open area when you start the bird and wait for the maximum signals before flying. I'm pretty sure that dust on the GPS module won't be the issue
U
Hi mate the motor when spun by hand feels fine when it's at idel the let under the motor flashes red ? Yeah I locks into all of its satellites I've Evan tried a RTH worked perfectly when I first turn the phantom on and wait for the warm up after if I try to power the motors it flashes green about 5 times rapid but if I do not wait for the warm up and just power the motors straight on then wait for it to lock its GPS works perfect

I suspect the flashing red LED may be caused by a fault in that particular ESC. At the moment it sounds like the bird is OK to fly but with a fault like that it could fail completely at altitude resulting in another crash. I would suggest hooking it up to your PC in flight assistant and doing a motor test (WITHOUT PROPS ON!) to see if the same motor is sluggish from start-up. If it is then it's probably either a fault with the motor or ESC. Even though the motor might feel free, check the windings on the rotor, if they look discoloured compared to any of the others it is a sign that it has got hot at some stage and this can have bad results as well.

Thanks for the replys appreciate the help I plugged it in not sure how I get the assistance up would you happen to have a link if it's not to much trouble ? Someone else said ESC board

Just go on the DJI website, look for downloads and you can install flight assistant and the driver. Be aware you might have problems if you run Windows 10 though. There are lots of threads on here and on YouTube on this topic.

Just go on the DJI website, look for downloads and you can install flight assistant and the driver. Be aware you might have problems if you run Windows 10 though. There are lots of threads on here and on YouTube on this topic.
done it mate I actually done it on Windows 10 it just makes you install the server manually pretty simple I had no idea it wouldn't work but done a bit research and found a thread how to do it on Windows 10 anyways I plugged it in done motor test which I had absolutely no errors at all there was no updates either it is all fine so I have no idea what the problem is I think I might just change the motor bit gutted tbh as I checked eBay and there was a fc40 with gimbal carry bag upgraded motors higher landing gear upgraded batterys for 200 pound which is what I paid for this except that is in perfect condition with the receipt its my own fault as I should of read description

OK that's good news on the driver front at least! If you did a motor test and all seems ok I would just swap out the faulty (sluggish) one to see if that cures the problem. If the fault persists my guess is a faulty ESC is to blame but if that IS the case you will at least have a spare motor! Changing the motor isn't hard but be careful when taking the top off, the small cross-head screws on the end of each arm are pretty soft and the heads can easily get chewed up if you don't have the correct screwdriver.

OK that's good news on the driver front at least! If you did a motor test and all seems ok I would just swap out the faulty (sluggish) one to see if that cures the problem. If the fault persists my guess is a faulty ESC is to blame but if that IS the case you will at least have a spare motor! Changing the motor isn't hard but be careful when taking the top off, the small cross-head screws on the end of each arm are pretty soft and the heads can easily get chewed up if you don't have the correct screwdriver.
thanks man I will keep you updated and let you no what works. It starts fine now ever since I plugged it in seems to turn on straight away without waiting but still sluggish motor but will keep u updated again thanks

Reactions: ScouseMouse
Hi I finally got some time to look at the fc40 I switched the dodgy motor with the opposite side funny enough it happens to be dodgy on the other side so that solves that ESC has been checked by a friend who is a electrician I was about to order a new motor until he said don't bother he should be able to fix the dodgy one he has 40 years experience as a electrician any ways he has it with him now and is 100% certain he can fix the dodgy motor I will let you no on Monday if he sorts it. If not does anyone have a link to buy a new motor as I carnt seem to find one which will ship from the uk all seem to be America etc thanks !!!

Thanks for al your help he's sorted it didn't say how as he left it in my van for me I found a site called helipal.com does all parts for phantom 1 and phantom 2 I believe mine is the phantom 2 if I'm not mistaking ? I will find out what he's done to sort it as it might help you or someone else someday. Last time I seen him was Monday as I ain't been at work till late today he said on Monday a dry joint in a connection what ever that is but will find out exactly when I see him again thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj