FC40 Flying duration tests - Naza voltage settings

deltamike said:
Does anyone know how much power the LED's consume?

It would be nice to know if anyone has disconnected them and knows how much longer the flying time is.

Thanks

Pete

Someone answered this question on another forum - they use so little power its not worth bothering.

Pete

I have to pass this on to you all.

Having had no data to the actual discharge allowable on a given 3S battery I have had more help from a more knowledgeable friend.

He has said :-

A full cell is 4.2v/cell and a discharged cell voltage under nominal load is 3.6 volts these still remain as the established and de-facto values to use. So for a 3S battery/system: -

1st level protection voltage (under load, not a recovered voltage) would be 3 x 3.60 = 10.80v.
2nd level protection voltage (under load, again not the voltage from recovery) would be a nominal 0.1volts less, so 3 x 3.5 = 10.5 volts, more usually 10.6v. to give a slightly increased margin.

This gives you a system that will not destroy your batteries and when you get into trouble, have sufficient power reserve to undertake an RTH or safe landing from altitude, noting how long it takes to undertake a controlled descent, which of course consumes power in doing so.

Reminder that battery voltage is a very rough estimate / measure of capacity. You could pick-up a used recovered battery and think it is at say 50% charge using the voltage method and find (the hard way=crash) that it has perhaps 5% charge left, many people have done this, myself included, this is why I now segregate used batteries from charged batteries so then can never be mixed and used again.

So, I have to advise you all that to consider battery longevity a base line of 85.5% (10.80 v.) for the first level warning, and approx. 83.52% (10.6v.) for second level warning.

This will, of course, give a slightly shorter duration than my final flight trial but will save the battery.

However, I am going to keep the settings as per my final trial flight and see just how long the batteries last - just out of curiosity. I may be sometime ...........

Pete

1st. Naza voltage level warning set at 10.36v.(82.5%)
2nd. Naza voltage level warning set at 10.30v. (81.5%)
1st. level warning at 22m. 47s.
24 seconds to ‘auto-land’.
Duration at ‘auto-land’ 23m. 11s

I thought I would let you know how things are progressing after 26 flights on the same battery.

I now limit myself to a maximum of 18 minutes flight time including landing and the 4000 mAh battery is still going strong.

Another thing to be considered is that I mainly take still shots and no video so its a case of climb and position then hover - take the shots - and then land, a very different scenario to do constant manoeuvering to shoot video.

Whatever changes I carry out to the a/c I carry out a trial flight and note the time till the 1st. level warning. I then subtract the time to land - I give myself three minutes - and set my timer to sound off. I have it set for 15 minutes at the moment.

The next thing to do is remove the FC40 camera and fit a Tarot Gimbal and the GoPro camera.

If anyone is interested I will let you know of the reduced flight time to the 2nd. (Auto Land) level warning.

Pete

Any advice on specific model numbers? The 4000 batteries I'm finding show the length around 140mm or greater. Stock battery is only about 120 or so.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik