FC40 Flying duration tests - Naza voltage settings

What is the difference between your no load and under load settings? In other words, what is your offset? Are the settings above the former or the latter?

Thanks.

I am reliably informed by a bloke more experienced than me that it does not give a hoot what the other figures are - a theory that is proved - since the only input by me was the calibration figure - measured with a voltmeter and the NO LOAD figures, and they made the difference in the duration.

Maybe someone else may agree to disagree but the figures are there in black and white,

Regards

Pete

Great testing. Thanks Pete

I am assuming you are running a stock FC40? (No aftermarket gimbal/camera)

Ohary said:
So what are we concluding, about a 40% increase in flight time?

I dunno. I'm rubbish at figures but 38-24-36 I DO know.

Wait till I do another two test flights on the 4000 mAh. then we will get a better idea.

THEN -

I have to add camera and do a series of tests all over again with the 2200 and the 4000 mAh batteries.

My missus rolls her eyes :roll: to heaven each time I take the 40 out. Do you suppose she is checking the sky for birds. How kind of her. She's a little treasure,

Regards

Pete

Yes my little treasure checks the sky for birds of prey whenever I take mine out too. Must be true love I think....

Im curious if the weight of the 4000 is a little too heavy and hurting flight times. I seem to remember reading where people were getting 14 mins out of the maddog 2800's.

Pete,

What method do you use to check your voltage levels? Naza software, multimeter, etc?

mikey said:
Pete,

What method do you use to check your voltage levels? Naza software, multimeter, etc?

I use a voltmeter. I have found that the Naza software does not set the true battery voltage so I have to calibrate at least once. Funnily enough, it is fairly accurate after that one calibration,

dtviewer said:
Im curious if the weight of the 4000 is a little too heavy and hurting flight times. I seem to remember reading where people were getting 14 mins out of the maddog 2800's.

I'd like to hear more about this battery. I have the 4000's and they are pretty husky in shape and weight.

I have the Mad Dog 2700mah and the Turnigy 4000mah and have had a chance this weekend to test them out.

Test consisted of the following:
1) Phantom FC40 with Parrot Drone motherboard, gps, and camera used for telemetry (similar to the setup IIVII has.
2) Phantom had 8 inch props and 9 inch prop guards
3) All batteries charged to 12.5v using the Naza charger that came with the Phantom.
4) Naza first voltage warning set to 11.2v. Second warning set to 11v. Loaded offset was .6
5) Hover in 10mph wind with some light flying
6) Flew past warnings holding altitude close to the ground until it would not hover anymore.

DJI 2200mah: 8m 49s 11.05v
Mad Dog 2700mah: 10m 38s 10.83v
Turnigy 4000mah: 14m 38s 10.60v

I checked voltage levels an hour after flights and battery voltages are above.
If I removed the prop guards and used 9 inch vision props, I assume I'd get a few minutes more. I'll be very happy to get 16 minutes with regular flying on the Turnigy 4000mah. I'll bump up the 4000mah Naza warning thresholds to hit 10.8v so I'll probably lose a minute or two of flight time.

I did have to modify the battery slot to fit the 4000mah but given the cost of the battery and the longer flight time, I think its a worth it. One thing that is apparent from the above is that voltage warnings need to be different for each battery to achieve the most use out of each battery and the longest flight time. Its a pain to set different thresholds for different batteries so I'll most likely be sticking to the 4000mah to make battery use and conditioning consistent.

Hobby king sells a quanum telemetry system that let's you check voltage online. Probably a better solution. I have order one

How would it be a better system?

My setup is similar to IIVII setup at http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13890.
It cost around $120 with all parts and materials but it provides a lot while maintainging good latence and low weight. I'll post more details in the future after I finish a few more mods and then take pictures.

With my AR drone motherboard and camera I get all of the following:
GPS and a realtime map of where the drone is flying over (Using ARDRone Flight Pro on Android)
Direction, speed, altitude, and orientation
720p camera with low lag. All my telemetry info is over the camera image.
Recording to microsd on the drone as well as the Android phone

If my drone goes down or gets lost, I have the last point on the map that it was at. The android phone is small enough to fit into the Quanum DIY FPV kit and it works pretty well but I do not have a good solution yet for long range and am working on that.

Does anyone know how much power the LED's consume?

It would be nice to know if anyone has disconnected them and knows how much longer the flying time is.

Thanks

Pete

brzez said:
I have the Mad Dog 2700mah and the Turnigy 4000mah and have had a chance this weekend to test them out.

Test consisted of the following:
1) Phantom FC40 with Parrot Drone motherboard, gps, and camera used for telemetry (similar to the setup IIVII has.
2) Phantom had 8 inch props and 9 inch prop guards
3) All batteries charged to 12.5v using the Naza charger that came with the Phantom.
4) Naza first voltage warning set to 11.2v. Second warning set to 11v. Loaded offset was .6
5) Hover in 10mph wind with some light flying
6) Flew past warnings holding altitude close to the ground until it would not hover anymore.

DJI 2200mah: 8m 49s 11.05v
Mad Dog 2700mah: 10m 38s 10.83v
Turnigy 4000mah: 14m 38s 10.60v

I checked voltage levels an hour after flights and battery voltages are above.
If I removed the prop guards and used 9 inch vision props, I assume I'd get a few minutes more. I'll be very happy to get 16 minutes with regular flying on the Turnigy 4000mah. I'll bump up the 4000mah Naza warning thresholds to hit 10.8v so I'll probably lose a minute or two of flight time.

I did have to modify the battery slot to fit the 4000mah but given the cost of the battery and the longer flight time, I think its a worth it. One thing that is apparent from the above is that voltage warnings need to be different for each battery to achieve the most use out of each battery and the longest flight time. Its a pain to set different thresholds for different batteries so I'll most likely be sticking to the 4000mah to make battery use and conditioning consistent.

Thanks for your information,

Regards

Pete

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31