FC40 crashed, tilted motor, problem?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to this forum and to copter mulitcopter flying, but I recently bought a FC40. I am really happy with it. Yesterday I accidentally shut off the motors mid-air, by using the command (joysticks to corners). It fell from about 10m/30ft straight down. Fortunately, just one prop guard broke and the machine is still doing fine. However, one of the motors is now tilted, the white plastic is a bit bumped, see picture.

Do you think this is a major problem? Can you guys give me a tip on how to fix this? Also, I think it is too easy to shut off the motors mid-air, maybe the machine should 'now' it is flying and prevent stupid users from crashing the machine.

3nABJGQ.jpg

Looks like at least the top shell is cracked there. A new shell would be best of course but you could try taking it off, bending it straight and using two-component glue to join the crack and put a layer on the inside around the crack to reinforce it. Probably the same goes for the bottom shell.

It's not going to fly well being off axis like that. I wouldn't trust the shell in flight, either. If you glue it and it breaks lose, what will the quad do? What happens if it snaps completely? I have no idea and neither do you. New shells are $50, you need to get a new one. That quad could just drop out of the sky one day if you don't replace the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did the same today but the plastic warped and deformed. I took off the top shell. Removed the motor and board. Then I used a heat gun to soften the plastic to reshape it into position. Reassembled and it flew great.

Jermz said:
It's not going to fly well being off axis like that. I wouldn't trust the shell in flight, either. If you glue it and it breaks lose, what will the quad do? What happens if it snaps completely? I have no idea and neither do you. New shells are $50, you need to get a new one. That quad could just drop out of the sky one day if you don't replace the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on re shelling it.

YA new shell would fix it for sure.. But i have a phantom vision that I did a full restore on that was broke in the same exact spot and the same way as your. That I was able to fix by straightening the lower part of the arm with some heat. Then I used epoxy to fix the crack in the top. I even had some white epoxy i used on the out side and put some plastic wrap on it to smooth it out and then when you peel it off later its nice and smooth and blends in good. Then on the inside I used jb weld epoxy because its stronger then they stuff I used on the out side and i didnt care about the black gray color of the b weld on the inside. and put it on thick so it over layed the crack. I figured that would be good till I could get a new shell. But Its held up to a few crashes since. So Im just going to keep it and not even do a reshell and if I do being its a lot of work to move every thing to a new shell and only the top part thats busted if I do get a new shell I'm just going to put the new top part on and keep the bottom the way it is.

I eventually reshelled my Vision+ but it flew just fine like it was with the propeller just clearing the top of the Phantom body. I think its more of a cosmetic issue than anything. The NAZA M is a pretty smart bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik