FC40 control by new DJi Controller with LiPo & Gimble wheel

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new controller with LiPo battery & Gimble wheel on an FC40. Being 5.8Ghz it should fly the FC40 BUT what about the Gimble control ? Will this operate all gambles connected through Ch7 ?

When it was first released I contacted my DJi dealer & emailed DJi both said "sorry not compatible with FC40" then after input on this forum via my session about substitute controllers it appears some think this is not the case.

I now have a second controller from eBay which is a Phantom 2 unit (5.8Ghz) its working, so I called my dealer again this time asking about flying & Gimble control.

Answer now is "yes it will fly the FC40 BUT the gamble control is only for the Phantom 2 Vision + not compatible with other gimbles"

Is this in fact true or again false info. Anyone tried it?

Re: FC40 control by new DJi Controller with LiPo & Gimble wh

I would also like to know this, hopefully someone has tried this and can let us know.

Wait.. So that new control for the Vision Plus works on the FC40?

Hi PsychopathRC, to be clear any Model PVT581 controller will work with the FC40 I know this because I purchased a second controller on ebay which came from a Phantom 2 owner. The one I purchased has a USB socket on the base unlike the FC40 unit.

I want to know if the latest controller with Lipo battery and Gimble wheel will whilst control my FC40 also control my Walkera Gimble connected to Ch 7.

Hello from Tallahassee ,I have a FC40 with the 5.8 radio. I added a Walkera G2d gimbal. The camera that came with the Phantom was great except the rolling of the video when making turns etc.so I added the gimbal. I then installed the lever on the back for the tilt. Well I wasn't happy with the limited function of the lever ,I saw the new controller with the rechargeable batteries and side wheel. but couldn't get an answer on if it would not work or not.

So I took a chance and ordered it from Amazon for $99.00 .
Two days later it arrived. I linked the new radio to the Phantom ,used the Naza assistant to set the gimbal and calibrate the radio. Tilt wheel works great .Short answer is,yes it works.

I also bought a SJ4000 wifi cam . The Walkera gimbal is set up for a GoPro ,I had a lot of jello in the video, the SJ is lighter so I had to add a little weight to balance the camera on the gimbal. (With the power off ,it should sit level) after only balancing the camera the jello is gone.

Wayne

Christmas day has come indeed (nearly over here in UK) thanks a bunch for this great info. As you see I was puzzled as to why my dealer and DJi said this new controller wasn't compatible as they have a 5.8 & 2.4 version and my second controller from a Phantom 2 worked. I was thinking of going to the dealer and taking my FC40 to test but now you have answered. Merry Christmas

Fuji-Flyer said:
Christmas day has come indeed (nearly over here in UK) thanks a bunch for this great info. As you see I was puzzled as to why my dealer and DJi said this new controller wasn't compatible as they have a 5.8 & 2.4 version and my second controller from a Phantom 2 worked. I was thinking of going to the dealer and taking my FC40 to test but now you have answered. Merry Christmas

I called DJI and asked if it would control my gimbal,the person on the phone said ...my FC 40 doesn't have a gimbal. I said I had a Walkera ,she said that was not a DJI product so it wouldn't work. I said good bye and hung up on her.

I have lots of install tips for the Walkera if you need any.

Thanks Tallyrver, I have already installed the Walkera G-2D Gimbal with my GoPro and used it with the existing Controller so I know it works. I have now ordered the new Controller with Lipo / Gimbal wheel and if I have any issues I'll be back. I bet many have been put off by the attitude of Dji and Dealers towards compatibility.

Just received the new Controller with Lipo batt & Gimbal control, works a treat on my FC40 with Walkera G-2D no setup required worked straight from the box despite my dealer and DJi saying its not compatible. So now to place the spare controller on ebay. A happy boy.

on my Walkera if i slide the mode switch,1 setting keeps the gimbal centered until i move the tilt wheel then centers it back when i let go. slide it the other way ,the gimbal stays in the position it put it in.i kinda like that one ,i use the SJ4000 wifi app to see where my camera is pointing. until i upgrade again with some FPV stuff...
DJI would sell more toys if they updates their sales people. :D

Thanks Tallyrver, I have sent a note to my Dji Dealer here in the UK as you say if they kept their guy's informed more sales would result. Wonder how many of us asked about the controller and were told "not compatible" Still we are OK also thanks for input on settings. When you get your FPV let me know what you get. The GoPro app with my iPad only has limited range which is a pain I know I could get a WiFi extender but its all the kit you then start lugging !!

Hi Tallyrver just completed first flight with new controller, with Walkera Gimbal switch in 1 a small wheel movement anti clockwise will pitch down only a few degrees and stop. Further wheel movement further anti clock takes the pitch progressively fully down but when I let go it returns to first pitch down setting it reached. Wheel clockwise takes the camera pitch back to start (LEVEL) from this first position.

Gimbal switch 2 anti clock wheel progressively pitches down and stays when you let go but will not return with clockwise wheel input.

Do you get the same? What settings do you have for the Gimbal in NAZA - M assistant?

First thing I did was to level the gimbal with the camera mounted and no power .i use a SJ4000 that is lighter than the GoPro ,the Walkera gimbal needs to sit level side to side.i had horrible jello even without the props running until I balanced it. Then I removed the tilt wire ,turned on the power to the gimbal. There are 3 adjustments . Gain ,tilt and balance. The 2 next to each other are tilt and balance .i sat the Phantom on the table and moved the screw until it sat level,then turned the other until it sat just slightly down. I used the wifi app on the Sj4000 to see if the props were showing.
The other adjustment is gain,it seems to adjust how much movement the gimbal gets when you tilt.

I calibrated the tilt wheel a few times in the Naza assistant ,seemed like if I adjusted the gain on the gimbal it changed the settings on the transmitter.
This video has lots of good info.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAaVhRvgKe0[/youtube]

Hi yep I saw this video before I purchased, here below is the first flight I did yesterday with new controller (a friend is having an extension so he wanted a video before/after) As you see camera is very stable but I lost the the WiFi connection GoPro to iPad and hence didn't know the framing of his house. Plus I was holding the Gimbal wheel Anti Clock to keep the camera down (let go at some points) I need to attempt to get the control to set position and stay then adjust back when required. Perhaps tweak settings may get there but still very pleased with the outcome. http://vimeo.com/115709057

Just found a Youtube video "DJi Transmitter with Wheel - Modified" this guy removes the spring from the Gimbal wheel on the TX this may make sense to have precise control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic