FC40 camera video and WiFi range.

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the largest nearby open field between waterways to do some range testing. It was some very soggy grazing land but the owner had warned me about that when I talked to him a few days earlier so I came prepared wearing my wellies. He said he hoped my flying would chase the geese away. I don't know when it happened but at some point I noticed they had indeed decided to go elsewhere. A small flock passed over the field not too far from the Phantom once with the camera catching them in flight.

I made three flights and recorded video with two. I sent my bird further away than I had ever done before. During the second recording while hovering around the limit of the WiFi connection I noticed the video counter had stopped even when I had a live feed again after it being frozen for a while and me bringing the FC40 in closer again. I assumed the recording had stopped so I tried to start it again. It didn't respond immediately so I tried again and eventually the counter started again. Back home I found three separate recordings from that flight, the middle one being only 19 seconds. I now wonder whether the recording had in fact still been running and I perhaps stopped it. With the feed being at the edge of its range the counter perhaps didn't appear right after I might have started it again resulting in me stopping it again after 19 seconds and starting it again for the third time. I'll be testing this the next time. Do others have experience with this?

I noticed the signal/live feed being influenced by the orientation of my phone. When I turned 90 degrees sideways the feed became better. Based on the video I could fairly accurately pinpoint the position of the Phantom and with the use of a topographical map on my computer I measured an approximate distance of 180m from my position. Actually a bit better than I expected. I'll see whether I can push it a bit more with different orientations of my phone or with my Nexus 7.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik