FC40 Camera FPV Wifi Booster.

Reaction score
Is anybody using a wifi booster for there fc40, got a Hawking wifi booster and wanting to fit some better antennas to it to boost the FPV. Has anybody boosted there FPV some more by upgrading there wifi antennas, and if so what are you using. cheers

I go 1000 meters with tp link wr703n modded for external antenna and a sunhans 2.5w amplifier and alpha 7dbi mini panel antenna. best setup I've seen

Some of them flat panel antennas work great for longer range tho they are very directional and need to be aimed right at your phantom to keep a connection.

I am to waiting for some good weather now to test my set up. I have a Hawging with 2 12dbi antennas mounted on a 5ft tripod. Im hoping for maybe 1500ft, seen someone on you tube with a Hawking with stock 3dbi antennas and he is getting around 1200ft so im hoping the much bigger antennas will boost it some more and maybe get around 1500ft.

I have found that the 7 dbi panel antenna I use has a 40 degree range and doesn't really need to be aimed once past 100 meters or so. Just point in the general direction and your good to go. I wouldn't use more than an 8 or 9 dbi

I wouldn't want to use a big tripod setup as it would be hard to move when you fly in a different direction. I use the small alpha 7 dbi mounted right on my transmitter so it's small and easy to move around

I successfully flew up to 750M with my TpLink TL-WA830RE, sat on the roof of my car hooked up to my car's 12V socket and a pair of +7dbi omni aerials I found at work for free!

I got 1500ft in city with HAWKING HWREN2 and TPlink 8-dbi antenna. I have head that if u use a kindle fire HD it will also give u long range.

I got 1500ft in city with HAWKING HWREN2 and TPlink 8-dbi antenna. I have head that if u use a kindle fire HD it will also give u long range.

Even an old non hd kindle fire will give increased range. BUT not together with a repeater. Being the kindles range with a repeater would only let you get farther from the repeater and still pick it up on the kindle from the repeater.

Tho if some ones flying in a big open area say a big field or some thing like that is to put the repeater a 100-300 yards away from were they are going to be flying from and that will let you fly that much farther away from were you are.

But as far as the best range antenna you can use on a repeater. There are some really inexpensive flat panel 11dbi directional patch antennas. That can get you out to about 800m if you have it on the receiving antenna side of the repeater. BUT you have to keep the face of the antenna pointed almost directly right at the phantom the whole time. Which can be hard if the repeater is on a tri pod or siting on some thing. But there is a mount that is meant for the dji light bridge that will hold the repeater right on the controller so that you can keep it pointed in the right direction by just keeping your transmitter pointed in the the general direction the bird is flying.

I have been experimenting with my AMped repeater with a 5w wifi booster attached. I am also using a 14 db panel antenna on a tripod. I have not gotten this kind of range with any of my previous setups. I have to do a bit more testing, but the range is way far. I stand next to the setup of course, but I got no cutouts at all and my neighbor was spotting with his binoculars. We are going out again soon, but just to let everyone know, here is the setup.

Amped wireless repeater 1000
5w wifi booster between repeater and antenna on port 2 (repeater main port)
2 12 volt batteries ( YOu need it for the repeater and booster they are both 12 volt)
14 db panel antenna (on port 2 that is the primary port)
9 db omni antenna ( I put this on port 1 which is the backup port)
1 camera tripod to hold all of the hardware

Optional items :D :

1 lawn chair :D (I almost fell over twice, but I sit low next to the tripod and not back into anything)
1 spotter with binoculars ( you can go pretty far with this setup and lose sight easily)

Tested my set up at last and got more distance than i thought i would, really pleased. Next i will try one of these 7dbi panel antennas some of you are using and try to find out which is the primary port on my Hawking booster to plug it into so, if anyone knows that would be great.
I will take a look at this mount which is for the light bridge because that sounds good all so.

Hey Everyone just wanted everyone to see the latest setup I am using. The 5W wifi booster adds quite a bit of range to the repeater. I have no idea why I did not try this before. I put it on top of the car when I go flying or extend the legs when I am in a park. The 14 db antenna is from Amazon they work quite well. I bought 2 and use the second to extend my home wifi. If anyone tries this setup, let me know your results I am really happy about it so far. My next project is the OSD and telemetry system. :D

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 774
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 638
If you are using a booster with the hawkings extender which also has its own 500ma booster in it. You can ever get better range if you go in to the extenders configurations settings and turn down the extenders output power so that its not putting out more power then what ever the max amount your boosters input is supposed to be.

When an already amplified signal gets boosted some more by going threw the bigger booster esp if over powered input it ends up getting a lot of the noise amplified to and also cuts out a lot of the signal. When I was testing out the hawking with an 8w booster y range dropped when the extender was at the default 100% power setting. but when I found out about the thing with the signal lose and why some times people need to use an atuninator to cut there power down before boosting is when I also found out I can do the same thing by just turning the extenders out put power to match the specs of the boosters input that had to be under 21dbi Which on the Hawking meant I had to turn its power down to be 18% tho they only have increments of 10 So i had to drop it to only have 10% power. Then the booster started to really up my range even farther then it was before adding the amplifier to the mix.

J.James said:
If you are using a booster with the hawkings extender which also has its own 500ma booster in it. You can ever get better range if you go in to the extenders configurations settings and turn down the extenders output power so that its not putting out more power then what ever the max amount your boosters input is supposed to be.

When an already amplified signal gets boosted some more by going threw the bigger booster esp if over powered input it ends up getting a lot of the noise amplified to and also cuts out a lot of the signal. When I was testing out the hawking with an 8w booster y range dropped when the extender was at the default 100% power setting. but when I found out about the thing with the signal lose and why some times people need to use an atuninator to cut there power down before boosting is when I also found out I can do the same thing by just turning the extenders out put power to match the specs of the boosters input that had to be under 21dbi Which on the Hawking meant I had to turn its power down to be 18% tho they only have increments of 10 So i had to drop it to only have 10% power. Then the booster started to really up my range even farther then it was before adding the amplifier to the mix.

If I can get even more range, then this is going to be super awesome. :D I am getting much longer range now, but later I will connect to the repeater and look through the settings. I have to see where I can find an attenuator also. I did not want to test the longest distance using the quad, so we setup the tripod and antenna in a flat field, and my neighbor rode his atv out to see where the signal would cut out. The field had a slight down slope, but I could still see him. Going to use google to check the distance, but I am pretty happy with it, but if I can increase the range this will be great thanks again I will report back once I am finished. :D

Sorry I am blowing up this thread, but I have progress :D The Amped wireless repeater has 28 dbm maximum transmit power. I had to lower it to 20 dbm because that is the maximum input power for the booster. The range is still pretty far, but I notice that there is less lag with the camera, even far out. Going to do more testing later.

Not used a amp for the booster yet i am still messing about with different cheap Antennas, i am now looking at a much more expensive Antenna which is a RHCP Half Sphere Helix 2.4GHz from FPVLR model number fpv-33, it has a 9dBi gain, 76 degrees beamwidth at -3 dB. This is going to cost me about 100 dollars delivered to me in the uk and i am wondering if this is going to be worth while. I know that FPVLR make very good Antennas but i am just wondering if one of these fitted to my booster will make a 100 dollar difference so to speak. I guess it will be about the best i can get but dont know if it will be much better and worth while than a cheaper directional antenna i can get of ebay or amazon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj