FC40 camera bad out of the box?

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the quadcopter world having bought a FC40 last week. I charged the camera (got the flashing red light until it went dark) and then turned the camera on- the LED Status and Wi Fi light started to rapidly flash green, and that's all it does. The phone (with the DJI FC40 app installed) naturally does not see a FC40 wi Fi network out there. BTW all this was done while the phantom itself remained unpowered. I did contact the dealer but haven't heard back yet. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

It's an iPhone4, updated to a 7. I followed your advice and tried to pickup the camera in Airplane mode. The result is the same, I get the flashing green light until it times out.

I'm assuming you know but just in case... It will flash green for a while before turning to a solid green. Has it ever turned solid green or does it just keep flashing green? Mine seems to take up to a minute at times before it turns solid green..

Hi, just a quick note you may need to go into iPhone system settings and connect to the wifi signal before you launch the iPhone app, I have 5c and have to do the same, then it will pick up the camera hope that helps

Wait until the green light is SOLID green.
Go in settings / wifi
You will see a new available network similar to FCxxxxxxxx
Connect to it.
Open the FC40 app.
Press on the new wifi name.

You're done.

jerrymac12000 said:
Are you saying that you opened the wifi connection on your cell phone, tablet, etc. that there was NO FCxxxxxxxxx listed?

That's correct. In the Wi Fi box there is no FCxxxxxxxxxx listed anywhere. I see my home network, and my neighbors, but no FC network. Wi Fi is enabled and I've tried it under both Airplane and non Airplane mode.

jetdust said:
I'm assuming you know but just in case... It will flash green for a while before turning to a solid green. Has it ever turned solid green or does it just keep flashing green? Mine seems to take up to a minute at times before it turns solid green..

It just flashes green for a couple of minutes or so then appears to shut down. It has never lite solid green, it only flashes.

Hmm.. that is odd if it isn't turning solid green, which means the wifi isn't fully activating and why you are not finding it in the wifi box. It sounds like there is a problem, you will probably have to contact DJI via email support or call them to exchange it because it should be turing a solid green after blinking for a bit. Have you tried activating it in an area away from your home or in different areas? Maybe there is some odd interference or something..

ericdes said:
Wait until the green light is SOLID green.
Go in settings / wifi
You will see a new available network similar to FCxxxxxxxx
Connect to it.
Open the FC40 app.
Press on the new wifi name.

You're done.

That is exactly how I understand the process but again the problem is that the light will not go green so I'm stuck at step one.
I'm beginning to think that the iPhone, which was a 4 but I updated the software to a 7, may not be compatible with the camera. After updating, all of the functionality of a new 7 is not available on an updated 7. Maybe this is the issue. Maybe an updated phone just will not work here.

But should the camera go to solid green regardless of if the phone can see it or not?

Correct, the camera should turn solid green no matter what, it doesn't require anything connected to it to do that...

If it is not going solid green then there is nothing you can do for that. It is suppose to broadcast itself, when it does so it goes solid green.

That did it- I removed the SD card and hit the power button and in 15 seconds the light went solid green and the FC network appeared on the phone. I opened the app and it connected to the camera, at which time the light began flashing slowly green. Everything works fine. Video and still pictures work great. What an amazing little device for the price! Thank you guys!

So it appears that an unformatted card can't be in the camera when it powers up, it will not let it establish the network.
One final question- is the camera controlled only through the app? Pushing and holding in the Rec button on the camera itself seems to do nothing.

I picked up a class 10 SD from Amazon because my class 2 and 4 were giving me problems.. Since the class 10 my camera has worked great! To manual record you turn it on and when flashing or when solid green you push and hold the red button on the bottom until the camera flashes red once. To stop the recording you push the red button again and it will flash red again I believe to let you know it has stopped. I guess its good to know that it is picky about the type of SD card..

My camera records video, but no sound. Any ideas? The camera and the quad are new. First time I tried it and this is the result.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31