FC40 Battery

Am I flying wrong then??? I just assumed you could fly until a few mins b4 the battery ran out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Am I flying wrong then??? I just assumed you could fly until a few mins b4 the battery ran out.

Wrong? Technically no. But unless you’ve gotta reason to hammer the battery into ODDV (over discharge detection voltage) you’ll soon sacrifice significant battery pack life for an extra couple minutes of flight time.

13 minutes from a stock, good condition battery is gonna be very close to “auto land” for average Phantom1/FC40. Do that just a few times and be assured 13 minutes will quickly drop to 12, 11, 10 minutes and so on.

It’s very hard on these batteries to drain them when below 1/2 SOC (state of charge) and also leaves no reserve in the event you’re unable to reach desired landing site in time? Or, perhaps a dog or child runs up to your landing site and you need to abort landing? A little extra reserve capacity is never a bad thing.

Don’t mean to preach or go “chicken little” but I think most experienced Phantom 1, FC40 pilots would agree that 8-10 minutes flight time from good 2.2Ah battery pack is about what you can really expect without hammering said battery pack into damaging voltage levels.

If you can use an RC Balance charger, cell level alarms and “mind the store” when it comes to these battery packs then wring ‘em out if /when you need it?

I’m quite conservative with my battery packs (timer set for 7 minutes and I take my time returing and landing) but I’ve got packs that are several years old still performing close to new.

Best deal I’ve found for stock size P1/FC40 battery packs. 2qty Turnigy 3S 20C 2.2Ah packs for about $25 shipped USA.

Reactions: René Wilhelm
Ah right good advise there Ti22, didn't realise or think of the battery life. Tbh I'm not flying a great distance as I'm only really a new phantom owner and don't have the confidence yet to take it distance/altitude that I've seen the fc40 fly to. All advise gratefully accepted and taken on board. Cheers

Reactions: Ti22
Multistar 4000 mAH 3s 10C. Over 13 minutes depending of flying style and conditions. Full load: gimbal 2d, tx, osd n1. I trimed a little bit the battery compartment and the door to put the leeds outside.

Reactions: Carlo Napoli

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj