Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FC200 Soft Focus

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by enseth, Apr 4, 2014.

1. enseth

Hi, I'm a relatively new Vision owner. I'm really enjoying it so far and also finding this forum a valuable resource. I have been lurking for a while but decided it was time to register and start posting etc.
    I know the topic of soft focus down either the left or right side of photos has been covered extensively in previous threads but I thought I would ask a couple of specific questions rather than tack on to those.
    As you can see in the accompanying image my photos suffer from soft focus down the left hand side. I have contacted the dealer I bought my P2 from and am waiting for a full response.
    In the meantime I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find a definitive answer to in related threads.
    Firstly, is this an inherent camera design problem suffered by all FC200 cameras?
    Secondly, are those who return their cameras for repair or exchange satisfied with the results from the repaired or new camera?

Attached Files:

2. gfredrone

I got lucky and my second one was tolerable. Some have sent theirs back 3, 4, and 5 times and still get a bad one with the soft focus edge returned. DJI tech support in California told me it's a known manufacturing defect where the sensor is misaligned. There must have been a huge batch of defects go out with so many people having the same problem on this forum alone. I'd return it and get a new one if you have easy access to your dealer/shipper. Mine was through Amazon.com so was a very simple return and replace process. Sending it back direct to DJI could take a month from what others have said. :shock:

3. Peter Evans

I think it is a quality control problem rather than an inherent design fault. I say that because some people get left side softness, some people get right side softness, some people (like me) get lousy resolution all over, and some people get reasonably acceptable images. So, it seems to be a lottery.

As to the second question, personally, I returned mine and didn't want another one, I went a different route instead. I know that some people on this forum have had three or four replacements and have still not been happy. Some have even taken the camera apart and repositioned or re-focused the lens. Others have been more lucky. However, I get the impression that the lucky ones are in the minority.

4. gfredrone

5. AndySwe

6. enseth

Thanks for the quick replies. After reading the thread that has just been posted on adjusting the sensor I'm really tempted to have a go myself but given it's under warrantee and I used a local dealer I'll think I'll wait to see what response he comes back with. It's a bit disappointing to hear that this is basically a quality control issue. These UAV's cost a bit. One would think the least they could do is send them out totally fit for purpose.

7. Peter Evans

Yes, it is very disappointing because (IMHO) the Phantom 2 is a brilliant camera platform. It flies beautifully and is pretty easy to control right out of the box in 'Phantom' mode. Once you get used to it and then go over to 'Naza' mode, you have even more capability. It really is a very clever and well constructed piece of technology.

If only the same could be said of that FC200 camera they've fixed to the Vision version.

8. pault

I had no problems swapping mine and the dealer did not quibble at all. The original one was very soft on the right and the new one is much sharper but of course a bit soft on all extremities which is inherent in all the cameras. The fix just posted does look good so it is quite a dilemma as you would void your warrantee (if they found out ;)).

Alternatively you could use it as an excuse for swapping it for the V+ !

9. Seahorse

If this post @ RC is right, you can fix it yourself.

Attached Files: