FC200 camera - poor image quality when shooting stills.

Reaction score
Guys, I have had my phantom since July and everything is fine. But whilst I'm very impressed with the quality of the video image, I'm very disappointed with any stills that I take. The picture is washed out and lacking in any real detail or vibrancy of colour. Pretty much all the shots I take end up being deleted, being of such poor quality.

I have tried taking a sequence of test shots using different settings (large, medium and small and standard, hard and soft) but the result is just the same, really rubbish images What I don't understand is how poor the stills are when compared to paused video footage shot at, say, 1080 30fps, the frames of which are highly detailed, full of colour and pretty well pin sharp. When comparing them, you would hardly believe they were taken with the same camera!

So, am I missing something here, or is this just a feature of the FC200 camera?

Greyfox51 said:
Guys, I have had my phantom since July and everything is fine. But whilst I'm very impressed with the quality of the video image, I'm very disappointed with any stills that I take. The picture is washed out and lacking in any real detail or vibrancy of colour. Pretty much all the shots I take end up being deleted, being of such poor quality.

I have tried taking a sequence of test shots using different settings (large, medium and small and standard, hard and soft) but the result is just the same, really rubbish images What I don't understand is how poor the stills are when compared to paused video footage shot at, say, 1080 30fps, the frames of which are highly detailed, full of colour and pretty well pin sharp. When comparing them, you would hardly believe they were taken with the same camera!

So, am I missing something here, or is this just a feature of the FC200 camera?
Are you shooting JPEG or RAW(DNG)?

Geert said:
Definitely not a pro camera but changing the ISO value is important as that directly affects what is written to the sensor. Geert./.

Okay, thanks for replying and also your suggestions. I shall give it a try.

Just as an aside, is there any easy way of saving a paused video frame, other than using PrtSc? I guess I would have to use some dedicated software.

Thanks again for your input.

jimre said:
Are you shooting JPEG or RAW(DNG)?

I took some test shots in both JPEG and RAW (DNG) but Windows wouldn't open the files. I tried a couple of other viewers with the same result, so I gave up.

I realize the FC200 doesn't have the capabilities of a DSLR, but the video footage it produces is more than adequate for my requirements, I only wish I could get the camera to perform to the same standard.

Greyfox51 said:
Just as an aside, is there any easy way of saving a paused video frame, other than using PrtSc? I guess I would have to use some dedicated software.
Have a look at VLC media player (on pc). You can save the current frame in jpg, bmp or png format.

Brilliant, Cyclone, thank you very much for that. I shall give it a try.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik