fc 40 weight with gimbal/go pro and 4000 mah turnigy

Reaction score
I have an fc40, go pro 3 blk, walkera gimbal, longer landing legs and a 4000 mah battery , i have never flown with all of them together but am in the process of modding the battery door now to try it out, with teh stock 2200 battery it already feels a little heavy, is anyone running a similar setup and have they had problems with taking off or descending? dont know how else to shed weight unless i go for a lighter gimbal and there isnt many out there , but i think with all this it will be too heavy and dont know what else to do, other than ditch it all and get a larger frame

Similar setup .. Gimbal , gopro-alike ,bandy legs , 9443 props and 2700 battery comes in at 1325 grams .. just over the 1300 limit.. flies OK .

About 8-9 minutes with 2700 , 5-6 minutes with 2200 ... Enough for what I do ...

thanks for vote of confidence i have a turnigy 4000 that weighs 250 grams... going to spray the case black this weekend as well not sure if that will add a few grms but on the 2200 im getting 5 to 6 mins as well only annoyance now is i want to add fpv etc and worry it will be way too heavy. used s800 shells are going cheap atm so it may be time to upgrade....

chaghal said:
thanks for vote of confidence i have a turnigy 4000 that weighs 250 grams... going to spray the case black this weekend as well not sure if that will add a few grms but on the 2200 im getting 5 to 6 mins as well only annoyance now is i want to add fpv etc and worry it will be way too heavy. used s800 shells are going cheap atm so it may be time to upgrade....

Your FC40 can easily carry the FPV gear and still deliver usable flight times. You'll need to use at least a 2700mAh batt and P2 props, but the airframe you have now can get you well over 10 min per flight when loaded with a go pro, gimbal and FPV Tx.

thanks buddy ;-) thinking of getting the immersionrc 2.4 fpv transmitter should only add 30-40 grams afaik

Just conducted my 2nd Phantom flight using the 4000 battery and was able to get 17.5 minutes with stock camera and props. I will be installing a Walkera 2d gimbal and Gopro3+ and P2 props. Hope I will still get at least 15 minutes flight time with the additional weight. A little nose heavy on takeoff, I plan on mounting the gimbal farther back for better balance if possible.

FredSheldon said:
Just conducted my 2nd Phantom flight using the 4000 battery and was able to get 17.5 minutes with stock camera and props. I will be installing a Walkera 2d gimbal and Gopro3+ and P2 props. Hope I will still get at least 15 minutes flight time with the additional weight. A little nose heavy on takeoff, I plan on mounting the gimbal farther back for better balance if possible.

Would you share the link to the gimbal, the battery, and the FPV equipment you've gone with, or are considering?

Thanks very much, this shopping around thing is getting reallllllllllly old.

IflyinWY said:
FredSheldon said:

Would you share the link to the gimbal, the battery, and the FPV equipment you've gone with, or are considering?

Thanks very much, this shopping around thing is getting reallllllllllly old.

Gimble ordered here:
http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-G-2D-2- ... 15760.html
Camera ordered here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3F ... UTF8&psc=1
Battery ordered here:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... ouse_.html
WiFi Extender ordered here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5 ... UTF8&psc=1
Battery for Extender:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RQ ... UTF8&psc=1
Fred

Thanks FredSheldon,

I've got frozen fingers attached to my frozen brain. I will have to respond in kind at a future date.
It's 0 (zero) here at the moment. :cry:

FredSheldon said:

I don't think you'll come close to 15 min with the extra weight.
My experience on 2200mAh stock battery:
Stock FC40 setup as bought: 12 min
FC40 with Feiyu-Tech G3 3 axis gimbal: 6 min

Change 8" props to 9" Phantom 2 props:
Stock FC40 setup as bought: 15 min
FC40 with Feiyu-Tech G3 3 axis gimbal: 7 min

I'm thinking of taking the FC40 apart and using it's parts on a 550mm hex copter and just add 2 ESCs and motors...

sharkyza said:
FredSheldon said:

I don't think you'll come close to 15 min with the extra weight.
My experience on 2200mAh stock battery:
Stock FC40 setup as bought: 12 min
FC40 with Feiyu-Tech G3 3 axis gimbal: 6 min

Change 8" props to 9" Phantom 2 props:
Stock FC40 setup as bought: 15 min
FC40 with Feiyu-Tech G3 3 axis gimbal: 7 min

I'm thinking of taking the FC40 apart and using it's parts on a 550mm hex copter and just add 2 ESCs and motors...

I'm hoping that since the Walkera gimbal weighs 145 grams vs 305 grams for the Feiyu-Tech G3 it will do better than your results. I will be happy if I can get 12 minutes.
Fred

FredSheldon said:
I'm hoping that since the Walkera gimbal weighs 145 grams vs 305 grams for the Feiyu-Tech G3 it will do better than your results. I will be happy if I can get 12 minutes.
Fred
Holding thumbs ;)

Just received a Multistar 4000 lipo yesterday. Modified the FC40 so that the Multistar would barely fit with all wiring inside.

My FC40 has a 120g Walkera 2D gimbal and a GoPro Hero 3+ black.

With the standard battery, I get from 6-8 minutes flight time until the red light flashes.

With only two hovering flights with the Multistar, I get 12.5 minutes to auto land. Lipo was at 11.3 volts after 10 minutes off. Will supply more data later.

This sounds reasonably promising, please tell more later on how the handling and stability is affected and if you needed to tweak the gain settings. Would be interesting to note.

1090g total weight with Multistar 4000, WQalkera 2D, GoPr0 3+ and std. props.

Saw no difference in handling. No gains adjusted. Could not tell any difference in zooming straight up full blast. More later.

Hello all,
New user here and first posting. I have a FC40 and have been reading all the post about using a 4000 size battery.

Sorry if I have opened an old thread but it seemed the best place to start.

I am considering doing the same for my ship. But, if you will please excuse me for point out a couple of things that I have noticed
in the posting that are a bit confusing.

First in Fred's posting of the equipment he ordered the the battery he linked to is a 4S not a 3S. Hopefully nobody ordered the wrong unit.
Most likely a picking the wrong link, but it did throw me a bit

FredSheldon said:
IflyinWY said:
FredSheldon said:
Just conducted my 2nd Phantom flight using the 4000 battery and was able to get 17.5 minutes

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... ouse_.html

Fred

Second, and I am not sure it has been mentioned is that the Multistar battery being discussed has a 10C discharge rating as opposed to the
20C that is the original battery. Has anyone found this to be a problem of any kind??

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... _Pack.html

I am guessing that since the 4000 battery is getting good flight times it may not be a issue. I just wanted to get some comments so I know
what I should be expecting. Trying to play it safe.

Thanks in advance.

Les

Hello Les, :D Welcome to the party

Here's the correct link to the 3S battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

I purchased 4 of them a while back and they are my favorites of all my batteries. Yep, they have a 10 C discharge rate.
I have not had any issues with that. They do have a 20 C discharge rate for 10 seconds, maybe that's preventing issues for users.

FYI: I'm flying at about 6,000 feet above sea level so my flight times are significantly reduced from what folks get at or near sea level.
I do notice I can continue to fly for up to 4 minutes after I get a red flash.
If I haul *** all over and climb rapidly, it will significantly reduce that 4 minutes after the first red flash.

I've noticed no issues using the 10 C battery. I also have a 35 C, 2700 mAh that performs quite well too.
I'm guessing the FC40 doesn't mind a little variation in it's diet.

Perhaps if the folks at DJI paid closer attention they would chime in and let us know that we're wearing this or that out at a higher rate than normal by using a 10 C or 35 C. We're not going to hear from them because the FC40 has been slipping farther and farther under the radar. It's a great machine, I really like mine and continue to find ways to make it better.
The newer Phantoms have "Smart Batteries" that are expensive and give the users quite a few problems.

Prop guards are great while you're figuring out how not to run into things. 9443 props are a nice upgrade. 9450 props are a great upgrade. If you're thinking about a gimbal for a GoPro or similar, you may seriously want to consider purchasing a light weight model.

How about adding your location so we have a little better idea who we're chatting with?

What else would you like to know?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl