Fc 40 or the vision 2 ?

Reaction score
Hi all
Can some of you weigh in and give me your thoughts which your preference is ?
I have read so many horror stories I can decide which one to get , from the " fly always "
To the battery door in the fc 40 opening up , the tip overs . Is there THAT big of a difference in quality in the video /stills in the vision 2 to warrent the difference of $500.00 ? I can appreciate all your feedback .
Thanks ,
Jeffn0506

I can't talk about image comparisons as I only have a Vision. But the difference is not just in the camera quality. The Vision is based around the latest Phantom platform, so you get the benefit of 20+ minute flight times between battery swaps. The Vision package gives you approximately 3x longer range for FPV and you get flight telemetry. The camera is 1080p for video, plus there's a tilting single-axis "gimbal" and LED status signals on the motor arms. The downside is that the batteries are proprietary and cost >£100 each at the moment.

It's probably going to be a cost/features/quality balance that only you can make!

Yeah but now he would get a 24GHZ controller.
Better range - more prone to interference - Can't put a gopro with WIFI. Would need dedicated FPV. $$

The vision is all in one, owever many are disappointed with video, and very high battery price.

FC40 - almost same price has P1.1.1, 5.8GHZ controller, starter camera with FPV. I have one and it is quite nice.

Will upgrade with Gopro, keep the camera as FPV, add WIFI repeater (Sr10000) to get 1000 feet distance for camera.

I've just bought the FC40 and think it was the best option for me at the time. I've just started getting into aerial photography and yes the camera isn't great, but it's certainly better than a cheap keychain one and with the ease of the wireless FPV already built in, it saves a lot of time and money in extras. The reason for not going for the vision 2 is because after I've played around with the FC40 I will undoubtedly want to get a goPro with a decent gimble, which will cost a fair whack! So why pay extra for a single axis gimble and ok camera when I'm only going to upgrade in the near future?

I think the FC40 is certainly the happy medium. One question for the previous poster, ERICDES, you mentioned using the sr10000 as an extender...could you explain more how that would work? I may be wrong, but doesn't that just repeat the source signal which would be from the camera, so if that source went too far away from the repeater then it would be of no use? I could be completely wrong here however!

Pull_Up said:
I can't talk about image comparisons as I only have a Vision. But the difference is not just in the camera quality. The Vision is based around the latest Phantom platform, so you get the benefit of 20+ minute flight times between battery swaps. The Vision package gives you approximately 3x longer range for FPV and you get flight telemetry. The camera is 1080p for video, plus there's a tilting single-axis "gimbal" and LED status signals on the motor arms. The downside is that the batteries are proprietary and cost >£100 each at the moment.

It's probably going to be a cost/features/quality balance that only you can make!
Hi -and thank you for your reply ,
I have a phanthom 1 , I have up graded the motors to t/motors , what a difference , but when the new phanthom a came out I'm thinking of selling it to move up to the vision or the fc40 since all the extras & work is already done for you , that's why I asked
Now after reading your suggestions & the stories of the vision batteries , and the flyaways I'm not sure which way to fly,
Suggestions ??
Many thanks for your time

Hi all and thanks for all the info
I have the phanthom 1 & recently up graded the motors to t/motors , what a difference
Then I noticed the new fc40 & vision so I was thinking of up grading since that's what I was going to do eventually , but I'm hesitant to move up with all the stories of the vision batteries flying out or the flyaways .
I like the ability of controlling the camera through an iPhone but where do u mount it when you get the fc40 .
Any suggestions which way to go would be appreciated

Jeffn0506

Battery issues are now fixed by both firmware and uprated data pins. What flyaway issues have you seen with Visions? I haven't come across that many that can't be mainly attributed to incorrect operations (no home lock, poor compass calibration, loss of orientation, not understanding NAZA mode, not doing preventative maintenance checks, etc).

If you want latest hardware then you shouldn't go FC40. However if you want to be able to use your existing stock of spares and batteries, etc, then an FC40 is basically a V1.1.1 rigged for 5.8GHz control I believe so you can carry forward any existing compatible bits you have.

Middle ground option might be to get a P2 (non-Vision) with GoPro and FPV kit?

Choices, choices!

Hi Pull up
thanks for the reply !,
hoping your weather has been better than ours here !, we have had 16 snow storms in a row another one due tomorrow ,,,
today was so so but I went out anyway and had a chance to fly the phantom with the t/motors ,,, very sweet ,,,,,
choices , yes as I said im not sure which direction to go ,,, here in the us there's that injunction to certain dji dealerst /supplies are scarce ,,
Is the battery on the vision have its own charger or can you charge it from a standard charger like I charge the rest ?
I just have a few batteries for the v1 that's why I said im puzzled as to just go for it & get the vision or just upgrade to the fc 40 , by the way how does the iphone connect to the transmitter if I went that route is the holder for the vision available separately ?
some of the dealers are offering a free battery with the purchace of the vision 2/camera , so its tempting ,,,,
but still have heard of the flyaways & batterys falling out , ( looked on utube ) & like you say you cant always go by those as you know know there level of expertise...
after flying rc helis for 20 + years I always check things TWICE !,,
CHEERS

jEFF

It's a proprietary charger as the battery has proprietary connectors. It's a smart battery with built in balancing and data circuitry so just one connection to the DJI charger. The only times I've seen batteries coming out is when people have hit the dirt, or a tree, or a house! I've had my Vision since release day and haven't had any issue with it that weren't self-inflicted. Free second battery would sweeten the deal as that's $160 value.

Everyone will have an opinion, and both aircraft have pluses and minuses. I'm very happy with mine, but you might not be. Not much help I know - but all I can say from personal experience is that I've had nothing close to a flyaway or my battery coming out in flight (in fact I have the opposite problem, if I have cold fingers I sometimes struggle to get it out at the end of a flight!). I think it's just going to have to be you putting the research in and making a choice. Have you got a chance to fly either or both at a hobby store or similar?

The SR10000 repeater has 600mw of power. it will extend the signal from the camera to the smartphone or tablet.
It probably takes about 3 minutes to follow the wizard (if that), and you are done.

1) Power up the TX
2) Power up the Phantom
3) Power up the SR10000
4) On your smartphone or tablet, connect to the local wifi name that you gave the repeater. It should be noted here that you should give it a name similar but not the same as the FC40 camera.
5) Open the FC40 app. Connect to network name you just created.

You now have approximately 800-1000 feet of FPV range.

I covered in the FC40 section on how to easily and quite cheaply make this setup mobile by connecting the repeater to a stock phantom battery. That should last all day. In the field.

hell mate
no I haven't had a chance to fly either one @ a local hobby shop , there isn't exactly one near by , which is why im trying to do this here,,,
as I said I cant put much into the reviews as the people a not exactly experts , , but I just read the fc 40 has a shorter wifi operating range than the vision 2 cam , NOT LKE IM GONA TAKE IT THAT FAR !
do you have an iphone attached to your transmitter , if so how do u like it ?
I wish there was a way to use an ipad as its bigger to see
hows ur weather ???
I was afraid if the battery being there own plugs , which means charging Is going to be difficult in the field , or have an a/c inverter ,,( just trying to cover all the bases as there expensive !
what is ,,,, you get flight telemetry.? that you mentioned , is that only with the vision 2 camera , if so what exactly is it ??
much appreciation for all your help !
j

Flight telemetry is P2 vision only.
It shows battery level, height, distance, etc... I would love to have that on my FC40, who wouldn't.

You can however add this as well as a crap load of other mods later on.

Really here's the deal : Vision is a total solution locking you to proprietary batteries and camera (which you can still swap out but you paid a premium for it. Want it all in a box, get the Vision. Fine Quad. 1199$

I got the FC40 to get me started, I have my hands full for a while, but got a camera and FPV.
Once I get over that I upgrade and mod, or heck get a new bird entirely. 499$

Or naked Phantom 1 with 2.4 GHZ controller for what these days? Prices fluctuate right now.

Well that's what I was going to do , upgrade
After just adding the t/motors I thought I would sell it & upgrade
I listed it @ what I thought was. Fair price for a phantom 1
With brand new t/ motors @ $399.00 US dollars
And everyone thinks nuts for asking so much
The motors alone were $189.00 ! Everyone wants something for nothing !
Yes the batteries are special for the v2 camera
But is it worth the extra $500 to get double the fly time & better Video
& a holder for your phone ?

Only you can make that decision, unfortunately!

Many people are using 7" tablets with their Visions rather than phones - some are reporting very good things using the latest Google Nexus 7 (bright screen, fast processor, etc). iPad size devices are too big and heavy to attach to the transmitter really - although you could have it mounted to a tripod next to you...

If you have a GoPro already then have another look at the P2 (non-Vision) perhaps?

Weather here was good this weekend, bad again now! Batteries on storage voltage, so that tells you I'm unlikely to get out in the next few days!

The FC40 honestly is a great quad, I've had mine for 3 weeks now and fly it several times a day. I have also picked up the SR10000 and can get 1k feet without a problem for fpv and it does come with the same phone holder the vision has so it does have a phone holder included in the kit. The video quality and stability is actually very impressive for being as compact as it is, not as nice as the vision but still very impressive and for the price you can't go wrong.

Hi Guys :
well I finally decided to go with the vision 2 & ordered it today , due in a week !
I hope I get the package before the wife does or ill be sleeping with the Harley in the shead in 15 degree weather ,,,
just a few questions come to mind ,
do you /are you suposto do a compass calibration before every flight ?
did you up date to the latest firmware /software when you first get it ?
im guessing the wi/fi repeater has a usb plug to charge ?
anything else I should know ?
so grateful for all your help and assistance

Jeffn0506 said:
Hi Guys :
well I finally decided to go with the vision 2 & ordered it today , due in a week !
I hope I get the package before the wife does or ill be sleeping with the Harley in the shead in 15 degree weather ,,,
just a few questions come to mind ,
do you /are you suposto do a compass calibration before every flight ?
No
did you up date to the latest firmware /software when you first get it ?
Mine was up to date out of the box.
im guessing the wi/fi repeater has a usb plug to charge ?
Yes
anything else I should know ?
Hope you are getting the free extra battery
so grateful for all your help and assistance

Only thing I'd add to the compass calibration question is you should do one before your very first flight. After that there are two schools of thought - the "calibrate before every flight" and the "don't calibrate unless you have issues" (or move a long way away) schools.

Whichever you prefer just make sure you calibrate in a really sensible place - wide open, away from buildings, metallic objects (fences, drain covers, rebar concrete, etc) and so on. A bad calibration can introduce errors that otherwise weren't there.

Happy flying!

Hi
Ah no I didn't get that battery !, not happy .when I researched who to buy a new one from "amazon " has a vender that had a98% rating , family owner ,,, all of the reviews were so positive , they return calls right away,,
I went to call the other day , got a machine z, left a msg , & never got a return call back, I called several other fenders & asked if they would do the same with the battery , > nope
So I wound up going elsewhere , but got an extra battery
What are your feelings on "prop guards "?? Do you use them .?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj