Faulty Motor Replaced

ResevorDG said:
T-Motors with the -11 have changed a little since the above photo.
They now say either CW or CCW. Unfortunately mine were backwards. The CW is the CCW and the CCW is the CW. Luckily I noticed.
They do indeed take the self tightening props, though they fit snug around the base.

Took it out today. The P2V still has a little bit of a jerk to left but it's not as bad. I plan to do a good prop balance soon.

When I run the motors at idle without blades, 3 of them feel smooth on the side one feels like it is out of balance. This same location felt a bit off with the other motors. I wonder now if my case is not perfect?
Anyone else notice this?

Still loving my drone BTW, I just like things to be the best they can be.

I've been tempted to buy the t motors I'm just not sure it's worth the upgrade cost.

Scottrod said:
ResevorDG said:
They now say either CW or CCW. Unfortunately mine were backwards. The CW is the CCW and the CCW is the CW. Luckily I noticed.
They do indeed take the self tightening props, though they fit snug around the base.

Took it out today. The P2V still has a little bit of a jerk to left but it's not as bad. I plan to do a good prop balance soon.

When I run the motors at idle without blades, 3 of them feel smooth on the side one feels like it is out of balance. This same location felt a bit off with the other motors. I wonder now if my case is not perfect?
Anyone else notice this?

I've been tempted to buy the t motors I'm just not sure it's worth the upgrade cost.

If your motors are working fine I say stick with them.
T-Motors claim to be better and I think they are, but it's not night and day, it's a small difference.
Slightly faster flying, slightly longer flight time, your money is better spent on a second battery.
The T-motors are much cooler to the touch after a long flight than stock, so that tells me there is less electrical waste.

For the bad. They do take the stock props, BUT pay attention to labeling vs the threading. Mine was labeled backwards.
Also the stock props don't just slide right on like they do with the stock motors, they take a little force as the fit is very tight.

If you are upgrading anyway or you have some extreme need, go for it. Other than that, stick with stock
I and a motor problem so I decided to just give it go, I was buying two motors for $65 anyway why not triple that right?

Hope this helps with your decision.

ResevorDG said:
Scottrod said:
ResevorDG said:

Anyone else notice this?

If your motors are working fine I say stick with them.
T-Motors claim to be better and I think they are, but it's not night and day, it's a small difference.
Slightly faster flying, slightly longer flight time, your money is better spent on a second battery.
The T-motors are much cooler to the touch after a long flight than stock, so that tells me there is less electrical waste.

For the bad. They do take the stock props, BUT pay attention to labeling vs the threading. Mine was labeled backwards.
Also the stock props don't just slide right on like they do with the stock motors, they take a little force as the fit is very tight.

If you are upgrading anyway or you have some extreme need, go for it. Other than that, stick with stock
I and a motor problem so I decided to just give it go, I was buying two motors for $65 anyway why not triple that right?

Hope this helps with your decision.

Yeah I've heard they will give about an extra minute. But for the price you're right an extra battery would be a better investment.

There's something else the T-motors have going for them; bearings. They have top of the line bearings, and other components.
Whereas the stock Phantom Motors are just the plain Jane version of an electric motor.
So, IF one day you have an e-clip failure, or a bearing failure with your stock motors, the chances are, your Phantom is going to be a big box of parts.
Those chances are greatly reduced with the T-motors. They run cooler, will last much longer, are quieter(so I'm told), and may run a minute longer.

You have to decide on if what you are carrying in your Phantom is worth the extra dollars to upgrade to the T-motors.

I just changed out my stock motors at 158 flights. Broke one of the threads that hold a props on(don't use a crescent wrench to tighten the prop nuts-dummy). But, I plan to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Let me give an example; you get "hired" to fly for a commercial. You go out to the "Set", spin your stock motors up, and you hear some grinding? Now what are you going to do? You want the most reliable set-up you can have, in that situation. And, while stock motors are fine for flying around and doing "projects"....when someone else is paying you a lot of money, well, I think that would be the time to upgrade to the Cadillac of motors. Also-you want spares!!! And, bullet connectors, so if you're on Set, you can easily swap out motors in the field.
Basically-if you do that kind of work, you either better have 2 Phantoms(minimum) ready to go, or a whole bunch of spare parts.

1 bad crash, and you're done!!! And, when the DP/Producer calls "Action", and you're not ready......you won't see the sunset. You'll be in your car, on the way home....and won't be asked back.
So think about it in terms of an Insurance Policy....you don't want to lose a job because the bearings in your motor decide they've had enough......

Sure-it's almost $200!!! But, you can make that back in less than 1 day, on a shoot. Just depends on what you plan to use your Phantom for.

Finally I found a post to figure out my problems. My story. P2 with maybe 2 hrs on it. Long story short had 2 bad crashes after installing a zenmuse gimble. Motors making noises, uneven power on lift off, gps and imu working hard to keep it level and stable. Lack of power etc.. IMU and GPS is fine. After reading your post I firmly believe I have at least 1 bad motor, maybe 2. I have ordered 4 new tmotor 2214,s anti gravity motors.
As far as the bullet connecters, great idea! More solder joints? Cumom! We do it all the time on our other UAVs ! No problemo!
Wish me luck! And thanks for the post!

Justgregg said:
Finally I found a post to figure out my problems. My story. P2 with maybe 2 hrs on it. Long story short had 2 bad crashes after installing a zenmuse gimble. Motors making noises, uneven power on lift off, gps and imu working hard to keep it level and stable. Lack of power etc.. IMU and GPS is fine. After reading your post I firmly believe I have at least 1 bad motor, maybe 2. I have ordered 4 new tmotor 2214,s anti gravity motors.
As far as the bullet connecters, great idea! More solder joints? Cumom! We do it all the time on our other UAVs ! No problemo!
Wish me luck! And thanks for the post!
Glad it helped. Yea, it's a bunch of soldier points...but, I have around 100 flights now on that set-up, with zero issues. I haven't even had the top off the Phantom since before I sent it in for the engine replacement.

I replaced all 4 motors with upgraded tmotor anti gravity. Didn't help my irratic flying and no power. Shipping back to dji for warranty repair, then unloading it. Only 2 months old and less than 10'flights. Keeps falling out of the sky like a rock!

Justgregg said:
I replaced all 4 motors with upgraded tmotor anti gravity. Didn't help my irratic flying and no power. Shipping back to dji for warranty repair, then unloading it. Only 2 months old and less than 10'flights. Keeps falling out of the sky like a rock!

If you are unloading it, let me know your price. Also let me know if you would be interested in selling the T motors separately.

Justgregg said:
From past experience with a bad battery-you should get your Phantom back in about 4 months!!!

Since we are on this topic... One of my motors has some up and down play. I can't see upgrading all 4 for $200. I have no problems with the stock motors...

Does DJI or anyone know what is the amount of hours these motors will go, I don't want to crash because of a faulty motor

Thanks all

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31