Faulty Camera

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could assist - I recently acquired my Vision via Ebay and have experienced issues with video from the camera.
Sometimes the album is "grayed" out and replay is a "black" screen!
The micro card is 8GB - should I upgrade this to larger - is the max 32GB? am I simply running out of space?
I have tried recording smaller files with limited success - but I find anything over 2 minutes not possible.
Taking pictures is not affected - I can have plenty of shot - just thought you can get longer videoplay.

Sorry if my questions are a bit newbie - always willing to learn.

Regards

Flyboy80

I agree with above. Format the card in a PC to make sure its OK.

You can record a lot of video on 8 gig. Most my flights are about 500 meg so that would roughly 16 flights to a 8 gig card.

rrmccabe said:
I agree with above. Format the card in a PC to make sure its OK.

Actually, I would recommend you not use a PC to format the card, but, as Geert said, use the Format function in the Vision app. This can often rectify formatting anomalies that are introduced by a PC that your Phantom camera might be sensitive to.

What make is your SD card? If it's poor quality, that could lead to issues as well. If you have another that you can use to test, that would help narrow down whether it's the card or the camera.

Unfortunately, it may very well be a bad camera... which could explain why the unit was being sold on eBay in the first place. You just never know with used Phantoms.

When you say the "album is grayed out", do you mean in the Vision app? Or when you're trying to read the card in your computer?

Many thanks all for your invaluable help!
When I mean grayed out - I do mean in the DJI app.
I will try formatting via the PC - this step is one that I am not looking forward to as I have yet to connect
my vision to the laptop!
My reason - slightly apprehensive about stuffing up my settings by inputting the wrong stuff - but there again
nothing venture - nothing gained!

You do not need to connect the Phantom to the computer. You should be able to format your card via the Vision app on your phone.

By the way... since you mentioned you HAVEN'T connected the Phantom... what firmware are you running, and have you updated the camera?

Hi,

Tonight I installed a new 32GB card and installed the latest firmware. It all powered up correctly and checked that latest version was on there.
I tried a sample 10 sec video and still nothing when I went into the album. The pictures I took show up fine but video was still blank boxes and when you go
to play video through the app- you get a black screen but still playing?
Any thoughts on this?

Kind Regards
Flyboy80

Some not so smart phones will not playback 1080 video, can you play the movies on PC ?
If so you need a better phone.....

Hi,

I am using an iphone 5 with app loaded. It has worked previously from time to time so not sure it's the phone that's the issue?

Never format your SD Card on your PC.. Always use the camera to format.
Are you using a class 10 SD Card. Anything less will have a noticable decrease in performance AND compatibility.
What firmware is your camera at? It should be at 1.19. If its not that may well be your problem.

To the OP, I hope you also checked your IMU calibration and made sure your quad was not next to some magnetic source before you fly for the first time. The 3rd line down Compass (RAW) should not be 2000 or something like that cause your bird might not fly right. There are other things you might want to check and turn on (RTH) but reading the manual will really help.

So now that you have the correct firmware on everything, the bird, camera and Radio controller, format that micro sd card in the phantom, using the Phantom Vision software format option to do this. Then do a test video. Now up to this point you should have a camera live image. If you press record and the micro sd card is either missing or bad it should tell you and refuse to record. If it starts the recording is is very important that you also stop the recording and do not think it will end itself correctly if you just turn things off, you must hit the record option again and make sure the red blinking light goes out. Now, you should have a recording if all those things are met. If for some reason you can not open and view the recording we just made, then take the micro sd card, instert in SD card and put in pc to view the pictures and videos that are on that card. Or, hook up usb cable to camera and copy files to pc. I don't recommend that you view the files from the micro sd in the camera. I hope all that makes sense and helps. good luck

I installed 1.19 firmware - set the camera down a nothc on the settings to 30fps and it seems to be working fine now.
Thanks for all your help.

Regards

Flyboy80

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj