Fatsharsk the way to go or will I be disappointed?

Reaction score
Im loving my P4 but keen to start with goggles or a headset? I've ordered the HDMI kit to bolt onto my controller and have an old set of Fatshark goggles (from my RC flying days) - although I always thought the image was a bit poor? What's the best set up to replicate the high quality display seen on my iPad when flying the P4 traditionally? I wear reading glasses so that a consideration? I'm tempted to buy the latest Fatsharks as they seem to have the biggest image but they aren't cheap and I'm worried I won't see a huge difference to my old Fatsharks? Thanks in advance ...

I have the Fatshark Dominator V2. Can't say that I'm impressed all that much but - YMMV. Much depends on how well your eyes can focus on the screen. Even with the overly expensive negative diopter kit, I can't get close enough. I am going to visit my optometrist next week to see if there is anything he can recommend. Pros - the Fatsharks are smallish and not as intrusive as the Headplays.

Which I also have. Much better view, still need a bit more correction. Light and comfortable. But you look like a Compleat Dork and I won't use mine unless I am in an isolated area. But that's my personal Issue, again, YMMV. There are a couple of other options out there now. You might wander over to the FPV section to see what they think.

I'm waiting to see what the Epson BT-300 do and the reviews when they come out (Jan. 2017 ?). That way I'll be legal for line of sight as well as FPV whereas the hoods need a secondary person as a monitor (legally). I need to know more about the glasses and lens Rx part of them though. Some time to save up too as they run ~$799 and don't know if they require the DJI HDMI addition.

I have the Fatshark Dominator V2. Can't say that I'm impressed all that much but - YMMV. Much depends on how well your eyes can focus on the screen. Even with the overly expensive negative diopter kit, I can't get close enough. I am going to visit my optometrist next week to see if there is anything he can recommend. Pros - the Fatsharks are smallish and not as intrusive as the Headplays.

Which I also have. Much better view, still need a bit more correction. Light and comfortable. But you look like a Compleat Dork and I won't use mine unless I am in an isolated area. But that's my personal Issue, again, YMMV. There are a couple of other options out there now. You might wander over to the FPV section to see what they think.
Thanks for the candid feedback. I'll bear it in mind and good luck with the optician :)

I'm waiting to see what the Epson BT-300 do and the reviews when they come out (Jan. 2017 ?). That way I'll be legal for line of sight as well as FPV whereas the hoods need a secondary person as a monitor (legally). I need to know more about the glasses and lens Rx part of them though. Some time to save up too as they run ~$799 and don't know if they require the DJI HDMI addition.
Sound sensible - must admit I saw those too. If they work could be a real contender> Thanks

Does anyone know if I can easily hook up my old Fatshark V5 Teleporter's to my Phantom 4? I've ordered the Phantom HDMI module but can't see any HDMI ports on my old Fatshark? Ideally I wanted to try them before jumping straight into a Fatshark upgrade although I'm tempted by the Epson BT-300 mentioned above! Thanks

Since you mentioned the Epson I took a look in more detail - it seems a very cool product.

Ive used Fat Shark Attitudes for some time, i love them, havent tried any others though to compare, would like to try a set of those HeadPlay ones for comparison.
If your flying at range the goggles experience takes some beating and gives very good precision flying when needed, i rarely fly without them. :)

I've done this mod with some velcro in my Dominator V3 and happy with optical correction.

These googles are very handy however I would love bigger image and better resolution. But still happy as I can fly with.

dc96d9dd8fccfb0d04e371ec6d57dd5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Since you mentioned the Epson I took a look in more detail - it seems a very cool product.

Agree, but it's sort of confusing.

It was also just shown at Copter World in Germany, but the images do not show the phone/tablet clamp on the RC transmitter at all, nor any wires to the USB port (Looks like no HDMI add-on either.). I dunno how the thing is setup nor why they have the two sensors on the right eye-frame both (Camera and something else there? Head movement control?) ? Looks like in the below image the wire is not on the left eyepiece either (or is it, and going where?) and then frame might be in two parts rather than one now too. Since it isn't finalized and out there, who knows.

There is also this (from Augmented Reality Takes to the Skies with Epson/DJI Partnership - YBLTV ):
"The two companies will co-market the Moverio BT-300 as a compatible DJI accessory. The Epson smart glasses will be available for purchase on DJI.com while the DJI GO app will be available for download from the Moverio Apps Market."

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj