Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FatShark setup

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by midknightskie, May 12, 2014.

1. midknightskie

First all I am new here and just purchased a Phantom 2 no vision. I want to purchase a Fatshark goggle system but I need to know what I need to extend the range on the FPV so I can see miles not feet. I tried to do as much reading as I could but I hate to make a bad purchase, thanks for the help.

2. midknightskie

3. Gizmo3000

Good antenna's are a must for long distance.
    you might also want to consider a higher power Tx, the 600mw is a viable option (around $80)

But getting good distance can be tricky, depends on the area you fly in as well.
    I can usually fly only a few blocks until things break up.
    (heard that the higher up you go, the further out you can go as well)

4. Raymondkerr

I'm not sure if you will acheive "miles" with a 5.8ghz system. You might be better considering 2.4ghz for your video but that does mean changing your control setup to something like EzUHF from immersionRC. You can buy a pair of fatshark dominators and get a 2.4ghz video module.

I currently run 5.8ghz using an ImmersionRC 600mW tx with fatshark attitudes using spiroNET antennas and struggle to get anywhere close to a mile distance, I am still learning though and it could just be my setup.

5. midknightskie

6. Raymondkerr

I think the most important item to look at are the antenna's, I bought the SpiroNET fatshark circular polerized antennas because I was told that these were the best, going on the results I've had so far, I'm not sure if that is the case. I am researching just now if there are better antennas out there for 5.8Ghz. Buying a more powerful (milliwatts) TX won't automatically give you more range, I think it is more important to get the right antennas. My mate runs a fatshark 250mW TX the standard one that came with his predator googles and I run the ImmersionRC 600mW, I don't get any further range than he does both using the same SpiroNET antennas.

7. midknightskie

Thanks for the replies guys, i got a fatshark pred and some upgraded antennas to start with.

8. GhostMaster

Why immersionRC?

9. wkf94025

See my post yesterday regarding range with Fat shark and ImmersionRC 250mW transmitter. Using a $20 patch antenna on my goggles, and Spironet with 2" extension on P2, I went 3,780 meters with usable video all the way out and back (between 100 and 200 meters altitude). Key is the receiving antenna, and the $20 patch I use rocks. Search my posts for details.

Kelly