Fatshark Dominator v3 - FPV goggles - Review

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this here for anyone on the fence or curious about these new goggles. This is nothing fancy just a quick bit of information and I am also willing to answer any questions about them.

Quick information about the goggles:

800x480 resolution
16:9 (more like 15:9 but close enough)
30 degree fov
mini hdmi input (comes with mini hdmi to mini hdmi cable, which works perfectly with the phantom hdmi out)
adjustable ipd sliders (helps line them up to your particular face/eyes).
$350 price tag

My thoughts:

The screen is wide and beautiful. It feels like you are sitting in the middle of a movie theater so it feels further away from your eyes but I think this works perfectly and is a great experience. Even though the picture isn't true HD (>720p) it still looks great. I could read everything on the screen and had no issues with the goggles. The included fan on the faceplate also eliminates the fogging issues that plagued earlier fatshark goggles and it worked great when I tried it. They are also very comfortable compared to the old eye cup design and very lightweight. The battery feels heavier than the goggles themselves but since the battery sits in the strap (very snug fit I might add) you don't notice the battery's weight. Overall I love these goggles and would recommend them to anyone who might be in the market for fpv goggles with hdmi for your phantom 3.

Side note: I wear contacts and see everything crystal clear, some people who wear glasses may need the optional diopters to see a clear picture so keep that in mind.

Here is a short video of me aiming a camera at the eye hole in the goggles while it is plugged into my phantom 3. This was taken in my office so pardon the mess. The blurriness is caused by the camera not being lined up to the screen correctly (very hard to do by yourself). There is a moment in the video that it is lined up properly and that is how they look when you actually wear the goggles and your eyes line up.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will gladly answer them!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Please tell me where can i get this
You can get them from several different vendors online. Most are out of stock/back ordered right now since only the initial batch has shipped so far. Keep an eye on getfpv.com for them

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I think if i would invest in goggles i would buy some with higher resolution this time. 800x600 is just a bit low and you would waste resolution with the 720P light bridge.

I think if i would invest in goggles i would buy some with higher resolution this time. 800x600 is just a bit low and you would waste resolution with the 720P light bridge.

Understandable. There just isn't much out there that give you true hd and with the screens in these you really don't notice that they aren't using the full 720p. It's still a great picture for the price in my opinion. Head play are cheaper but are way bigger and it's a giant screen inside. Zeiss cinemizers are another option but expensive (700) and are discontinued now. And the last option I can think of is the Sony ones. Again higher price but if I had found a cheap pair of those I would have tried them. So really not much out there with true hd and you definitely end up paying for it.

Understandable. There just isn't much out there that give you true hd and with the screens in these you really don't notice that they aren't using the full 720p. It's still a great picture for the price in my opinion. Head play are cheaper but are way bigger and it's a giant screen inside. Zeiss cinemizers are another option but expensive (700) and are discontinued now. And the last option I can think of is the Sony ones. Again higher price but if I had found a cheap pair of those I would have tried them. So really not much out there with true hd and you definitely end up paying for it.
Yes but remember that in early 2016 you will have new generation of goggles like the oculus rift etc.. so maybe you can use them as well. Or my personal favourite the avegant glyph. In the meantime i think i would buy the headplays but the fatshark V3s are indeed a good solution if you have a P3 or Inspire. In Europe those goggles are priced 450 Euro

If you have iPhone, FPV Goggles (FPV Camera) app could be a low cost solution.
FPV Goggles App... Low Cost Goggles Solution? | DJI Phantom Forum

Yes this works but then you also have to deal with the lag of the usb connection and phone itself. The hdmi out is much more reliable. Plus strapping your phone to your face you lose the extra app controls, with goggles you can just slide them up and mess with settings and put them back on IF you need to.

Wouldn't the HDMI be lagged as well? Without Lightbride you'd have no picture coming from the HDMI out.

You are correct about having no video signal you wouldn't have video in either, but that isn't what I was talking about when I said 'lag'.

My understanding is that the app lags because you are piping more than just video to the phone and then into the app. HDMI is only video and that's it. People have also experienced app crashes and other things and with HDMI that isn't an issue either. That was all I meant by my comment.

Yes this works but then you also have to deal with the lag of the usb connection and phone itself. The hdmi out is much more reliable. Plus strapping your phone to your face you lose the extra app controls, with goggles you can just slide them up and mess with settings and put them back on IF you need to.
The FPV Goggles app latency is about the same as DJI GO app, which is within 5ms comparing to HDMI per our testing. That being said, if the latency of HDMI is 200ms, then the goggles app is about 205ms.

If you want to mess around the camera settings, you can do it within the goggles app instead of sliding up the goggles by a creative Touchless UI. It also provides navigation map, all telemetry and warning messages.

11873473_614960525273424_3166049014405082105_n.jpg

The FPV Goggles app latency is about the same as DJI GO app, which is within 5ms comparing to HDMI per our testing. That being said, if the latency of HDMI is 200ms, then the goggles app is about 205ms.

If you want to mess around the camera settings, you can do it within the goggles app instead of sliding up the goggles by a creative Touchless UI. It also provides navigation map, all telemetry and warning messages.

11873473_614960525273424_3166049014405082105_n.jpg

Good information but I wasn't referring to the latency either, I was referring to the random times where the video is just lagged. Signal is perfect but video stops briefly or stutters. I have seen it on my ipad air 2 a few times so far.

Good information but I wasn't referring to the latency either, I was referring to the random times where the video is just lagged. Signal is perfect but video stops briefly or stutters. I have seen it on my ipad air 2 a few times so far.

Using the Sony HMZ-T3Ws the only time I see what you are talking about is when I lose signal with the bird due to obstacles or distance. BTW, the T3Ws are fantastic.

Using the Sony HMZ-T3Ws the only time I see what you are talking about is when I lose signal with the bird due to obstacles or distance. BTW, the T3Ws are fantastic.

right, cause you are using the hdmi for them. That is what I was saying.... hdmi out won't have the issue like usb to phone/tablet does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan