Fatshark Dominator HD & P3 HDMI output module

Reaction score
OK, I'm a newbie to the FPV goggle arena and I bought a pair of Fatshark Dominator HD goggles at the same time I bought the newly released HDMI output module for my Phantom 3 Pro. I installed the HDMI output module, which was extremely easy, and tested the output by connecting the HDMI output it to several devices and it works perfectly. I then connected it to the Dominators and cycled to the HDMI 2D input and all it does is flash 3 times and then nothing - just white screen. Note that I can't get anything on these brand new goggles by connecting to other input sources either so I might have a defective pair of goggles right out of the box. I would sell them but I don't want to sell a pair of defective goggles to anyone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like defective glasses. Dominators are known to work w/ the P3.

I've been in contact with a guy at Quadquestions, the seller, and they have been extremely quick and extremely supportive. They agree that there appears to be a problem with the unit and I'm sending them back to them for a warranty repair. I read on another forum of someone having an identical problem that he called "the white screen of death" and it was able to be repaired rather easily and quickly through Fatshark. It sounds like these guys really stand behind their products!

I can't wait to try them when they get back! We also spoke of the Dominator V3 which will be available for pre-order the 15th of this month.

According to the rep,

"The Dominator V3 focuses on HDMI connectivity with 720p support through a robust mini HDMI port and 16:9 format WVGA image. An improved DVR can swap between NTSC and PAL format as well as power backup to write files should the power be disconnected while recording. The Dominator V3 has modular bays to support 1G3, 2G4 and 5G8 band receivers and ability to add the Trinity head tracker."

Includes:
3m AV cable
HDMI cable with mini to micro and mini to standard adapters
1800 mAh battery with LED indicator
charge cable adapter
Zipper carry case
DC DIY cable
Manual

Yes the new Dominator V3s are more designed for digital FPV like the Phantom3. There will also be the new Dominator HD V2 which is also much better suited for the P3 compared to the original Dominator HD. What concerns me about the whole situation and thats why i wont buy a fatshark or any other FPV goggle now is the fact that 2016 will be the year of virtual reality goggles which means a bunch of manufactors releasing their goggles/masks in early 2016 like HTC, Sony Morpheus, Oculus, Avegant etc.. Those things are all in a different league to fatsharks and they all offer HDMI ports but the price will be the same or even cheaper than fatshark HD. So in my opinion those fatshark models make only sense if you own analog video TX as well. If you have just an P3, Inspire, 3DR solo etc.. it makes no sense to invest money in the inferior product. The fatshark stuff is cheaply made and the image qualtiy isnt great. I still have a normal Dominator but i will sell it now because i will sell my P2 5.8GHZ FPV as well. I only have a P3 left and im sure i wont buy a multicopter with analog FPV in the future anymore.

Reactions: RiverHound
Daninho, excellent appraisal of the situation. I may follow your path once I've played with my Dominator for a while to see if I like goggles at all.

Daninho, excellent appraisal of the situation. I may follow your path once I've played with my Dominator for a while to see if I like goggles at all.
I have the fatshark dominator V1 since some years and its really not a great product from material and design perspective. It collects dust like hell and the screen is fogging and i had tons of particles from factory inside the lens. I had to tear it down and clean everything but it isnt sealed at all. It will collect particles when you are on the field. Everything looks cheap and when a company like sony, HTC, Samsung or Microsoft is behind a product you can be sure its designed properly and has the right material quality etc.. It will also hold its worth better and you can use it for your PC, Playstation or movies as well because they are designed for that. Those goggles are designed for different head shapes and for 4 hour gaming sessions. Many product designers and engineers working for them, i doubt the smaller company fatshark can do all this.

Dominator HD V2 is designed for 4:3 format whereas Dominator V3 is designed for 16:9 format and is suited for P3A/P. Only issue seems to be low resolution compared to whats received on HDMI port. Some one has to confirm that this resolution is good enough in the field. Good about Dominator V3 is that it works for 2D as well 3D modes so one can use it to view 3D files too_Other limitation is that it supports only 720p and will not be useful in future when P3 comes out with 1080P

This is Anthony From QuadQuestions.com,

Lot's of people tend have HDMI Connectivity issues with their Fatshark Goggles when the input resolution isn't set correctly. River Hound's issue above ended up being a resolution issue, and when we set the resolution to 800x600 we were able to get them to work properly.

Many times some simple troubleshooting can fix common issues such as no video or white screens.

The FatShark Dominator V3 goggles are purpose built for the 16:9 DJI aspect ratio, and should work well with the Phantom Professional.

When troubleshooting, I recommend trying these things:

First, Make sure that you are selecting the hdmi input on the goggles. You can do so by toggling the left black toggle (left if the goggles are on. The Goggles will boot up in 2D analog. Vertical press of the contrast/brightness button scrolls through the following modes: Analog 2D/3D/ HDMI 2D/3D

If using an HDMI input, you should select the HDMI mode.

The goggles are very picky about their input resolution and if it doesn't match, they will not work.

Make sure on your phantom that you have the correct resolution selected.

The HDMI port can be connected to HDMI devices via the HDMI mini port. We recommend to first connect to the HDMI device then apply the power from the battery (allow the HDMI device to initiate using power supplied through the cable by the host device before powering goggles). Disconnect battery when switching between devices to clear the settings.

Note (1): Most HDMI connectivity issues are due to either incorrect monitor settings or faulty HDMI cable. Before assuming the HDMI is defective, try with alternative HDMI sources and alternative cables. HDMI cables may fracture over time at connector flex points.

Note (2): Receiver needs to be powered off in HDMI mode to prevent conflicting signals being sent to the display.
In other words, It is also important when using the HDMI input to disable the internal Receiver module by flipping the black switch on the bottom of the goggles.

Hopefully this helps most people that are having problems. The Latest version of Fatshark goggles (V3s and HDV2s) are a superb product and we have yet to receive any from the factory that don't work out of the box. When returns happen, its usually an error that we cannot replicate in the shop, and this usually points to user error. For more useful info, check us out at quadquestions.com.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20