Fatshark antenna placement on Phantom

Reaction score
So I have everything setup, except sticking the TX onto the phantom.
My question is simple.

When I position it, the anteanna hangs down near the compass

very much akin to this here

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItonYXRkBM[/youtube]

I have seen many setups the same way.
Before I place this 3M sticky tape on my bird, should I swap it to the other side?

Mine points out the back on the opposite side of the compass. It ends up about 8"s from the compass and 2"s out from the rear of the left leg. I used a 90 degree connector pointing at 45 degrees to the left. It put the head at the same level as the standard legs.

I just have mine sticking straight out the back, the edge of the transmitter board lined up with the clip of the battery...do you not have enough space underneath to do that?

I have mine mounted on some thicker foam though, so it gives a bit more space to work the battery than the Velcro you're using might. Maybe add something flat as a spacer between the Velcro and the shell to let the Tx hang a bit lower.

ah ok. I will place it like that then.
I need to open it up to make sure the osd is updated anyway (forgot to do that the first time), so while im in there, I will give myself more slack in the wire

Well here's my setup. :lol:

Photo%20Aug%2016%2C%2010%2036%2025%20AM.jpg

My antenna used to point backwards, but I always had so much trouble pulling the battery out (lost surface area to grip on).

UrAwFuL said:
Well here's my setup. :lol:

Photo%20Aug%2016%2C%2010%2036%2025%20AM.jpg

My antenna used to point backwards, but I always had so much trouble pulling the battery out (lost surface area to grip on).

broken image :(

anyway, I just finished it up.
I did things a bit different.

For starters, It kept on annoying me that the side I had to stick to the phantom was not flat.
So I had some doublesided, thick sticky tape.
I cut a few pieces up into little squares and kept layering them in the crevices to make it as even as possible to the highest point.

The idea was to get the surface as level as possible.

It kind of worked.
So then I put on some heavy duty 3M velcro that could hold up to 10lbs.
yeah... that puppy is on there! In fact, I'm able to lift the phantom up from the immersion itself! lol

Attachments

• IMG_20140816_142058.jpg
    IMG_20140816_142058.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 509
dragonash said:
I cut a few pieces up into little squares and kept layering them in the crevices to make it as even as possible to the highest point.

The idea was to get the surface as level as possible.

It kind of worked.

That's exactly the solution I used for the vTx mounting bracket on my 550. I was able to get away with one layer because I could use the ziptie too, but on a Phantom I would do it just like you did (and I have).
Fwp4v4yl.jpg

I started off with mine sticking straight out from the back but have noticed much less loss in signal flying fpv with the antenna now facing directly to the one side. (Opposite of compass) This is only what I have personally found to be optimal while flying fpv.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408217720104.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408217720104.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 422
Whoops! Sorry. Thought I could get away with a dropbox link from my phone.

10rld83.jpg

Fixed image. :lol:

I did a rebuild the other day and got all the plugs out to come out from one hole for a cleaner front look and a somewhat more organized wiring under. All held together with mounting tape. :lol:

phantom7 said:
I started off with mine sticking straight out from the back but have noticed much less loss in signal flying fpv with the antenna now facing directly to the one side. (Opposite of compass) This is only what I have personally found to be optimal while flying fpv.

I just did a test flight and I noticed the loss as I would turn around.

I might turn it around as well.

BTW, im using the blackpearl and have my fatshark antenna on the right side.
Is this correct?

I have mine sticking out the side. Same side as the compass and haven't had any issues.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408251671.415704.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408251671.415704.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 370

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj