Fatshark 5.8ghz 250mw vs 600mw vTx

Reaction score
Some questions for those of you that fly fpv with Fatshark, started with the kit 250mw tx then upgraded to the 600mw tx:

1. What average additional range are you experiencing?

2. Since the 600 is pulling more power, what has been the impact on flight time (assuming the main battery for the aircraft is supplying tx power)?

3. Any general reduction in interference with additional tx power?

4. Would you recommend the upgrade?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know :)

I have a 25mw fatshark and with the spiro net antennas I went about 175m without a problem, just small hickups.

I get about 7:30 mins flight with 2 axis gimbal, mobius and 9 inch cf props.

I already had the 600mw on order but haven't tried it yet, will need to replace motors first.

But I am intrested in experience of others too...

With the P2, flying h3b+/zen/fatshark 250mw vTx payload at 1600 meters (5300 feet) above sea level at 0 Celsius, I reached 1200 meters distance with mostly clear vTx and total flight time of 17 minutes. I did notice the orientation of the craft relative to my position affected vTx clarity even though the p2 was 30-60 meters above my elevation.

There was a cell tower within 100 meters. The flight was over an open field sparsely populated reducing risk if any wifi frequency interference.

Btw I upgraded to the fatshark circular polarized antennas and love them.

a bit off topic..

I'm about to buy FPV goggles (for a Flip), and Fatshark seems to be the nr1 in FPV I think.

If any of you would buy new FPV goggles, would you by Fatshark again or another brand?
I'm hesitating between a FatShark Attitude (5,8 GHz), GS920 BOSCAM (2,4 GHz / 5,8 GHz) or a Skyzone FPV (5,8 GHz).

Thank you for any info.

Ozon8r said:
With the P2, flying h3b+/zen/fatshark 250mw vTx payload at 1600 meters (5300 feet) above sea level at 0 Celsius, I reached 1200 meters distance with mostly clear vTx and total flight time of 17 minutes. I did notice the orientation of the craft relative to my position affected vTx clarity even though the p2 was 30-60 meters above my elevation.

There was a cell tower within 100 meters. The flight was over an open field sparsely populated reducing risk if any wifi frequency interference.

Btw I upgraded to the fatshark circular polarized antennas and love them.

Impressive. I have a p2 with zen h3b and have a fatshark attitude on the way. Are you using the stock control transmitter? 1200m seems pretty far. At that distance I would be afraid of losing control. Were you relying on failsafe to get it back to you in case of loss of control?

I am using stock controller. I have lost rc control twice at less than 500m while maintaining vTx. Return to home kicked in and worked flawlessly. Once the quad is within rc range, regain control, if this ever happens to you, by switching flying modes (ie gps to atti) with S1 switch. I know the rc is back within range when I can change the gimbal pitch. Both times I was under the hood (fatshark attitude v2 goggles) with my back to quad.

Noël said:
a bit off topic..

I'm about to buy FPV goggles (for a Flip), and Fatshark seems to be the nr1 in FPV I think.

If any of you would buy new FPV goggles, would you by Fatshark again or another brand?
I'm hesitating between a FatShark Attitude (5,8 GHz), GS920 BOSCAM (2,4 GHz / 5,8 GHz) or a Skyzone FPV (5,8 GHz).

Thank you for any info.

Can't comment on other brands, as I am new to fpv. However, a good friend who has a rc business recommended these over other fatshark models and brands. I am very pleased with Attitudes to date.

Having never flown rcs, soldered wires, etc, I found fatsharks easy to wire into P2 with mini iOSD.

I've been quite pleased with my original Fatshark Attitudes w/250mw Tx (w/circular antenna's).
LOVE having the iOSD! (on my F450)

But recently got fed up with having to connect/disconnect my Tx between my Phantom and F450, so I just purchased a 600mw Tx to use exclusively with the f450, so I should find out what kind of improvement it is over the 250mw and will report back this weekend.

Has anyone seen a place where you can buy just the Fatshark Goggles?? I already have a TS832 "600mw" transmitter-and it has 32 channels, some of which will work with the Fatshark Goggles.
I'd like to have the Goggles, but continue to run using my existing TX, and the monitor receiver I have.

Also-which version of the Fatshark goggles is the best, and why do you think that? I don't need head tracking, or Diopter-far vision correction.
I too have the Clover leaf antenna's, and love them. Probably double the distance of the rubber one's. IMHO, they're all about the same-circular polarizing antenna's.

havasuphoto said:
Has anyone seen a place where you can buy just the Fatshark Goggles?? I already have a TS832 "600mw" transmitter-and it has 32 channels, some of which will work with the Fatshark Goggles.
I'd like to have the Goggles, but continue to run using my existing TX, and the monitor receiver I have.

Also-which version of the Fatshark goggles is the best, and why do you think that? I don't need head tracking, or Diopter-far vision correction.
I too have the Clover leaf antenna's, and love them. Probably double the distance of the rubber one's. IMHO, they're all about the same-circular polarizing antenna's.

the Predator and Attitudes have built in Rx, but the Dominotor is probably the one you want to look into, as it comes plain without Tx or Rx. - tho I'm not aware if the Domintor's can take a regular video signal in from an outside Rx.
check out Fatshark.com and click on the comparison button that appears when you look at individual goggles.

Gizmo3000 said:
havasuphoto said:

the Predator and Attitudes have built in Rx, but the Dominotor is probably the one you want to look into, as it comes plain without Tx or Rx. - tho I'm not aware if the Domintor's can take a regular video signal in from an outside Rx.
check out Fatshark.com and click on the comparison button that appears when you look at individual goggles.
Yea, I've done that. What I want, is someone that is doing what I want to do, to report back on their experiences.
Thanks

I looked for an extra set of goggles for co pilot with no need for another package. But no joy.

Probably worth starting a thread just on that question.

havasuphoto said:

I looked for an extra set of goggles for co pilot with no need for another package. But no joy.

Ozon8r said:
havasuphoto said:

There was someone selling a set of Fatshark Base Goggles on another forum, that they purchased just for that reason. Unfortunately, I missed the sale :(....

I've done some research, and basically what I need is just the Goggles...predator, V922?, or whatever. I'm going to use the video out, from my existing set-up(7" monitor w/receiver). Seems that finding some used, at a reasonable price, is going to be a feat.
Also, I'm curious about the quality of the images from the Goggles. I don't want to buy something, put it on, and then say-"this won't work for me".......
Also, I wear 1.5 reading glasses(in older)..but have 20/20 distant vision-so I hope this isn't an issue.

Just a quick update. I upgraded to the irc 600mw tx with a spironet antenna attached and a crosshair antenna on the attitude goggles and easily reached 2000m with stock rc. Much better signal with the crosshair antenna passed 1600m than the spironet antenna on the goggles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoot hoot. I hit 3400m with the stock rc, 600mw vTx, and crosshair antenna on the fatshark attitude goggles. Scary as hell though. I flew out downwind until I lost signal and hit fail safe. Unfortunately, fail safe doesn't work so great flying back up wind. I thought I was going to lose the phantom. But I did get her safely home flying at varied angles.

Video quality was clear with no static out to 3000m. Beyond 3000m, the video started to degrade. At max range of 3400m, video went in and out to full static, about the same point FS kicked in, a very unpleasant feeling settled in quickly.

Some data
Altitude varied from 30-120m above home point relative height.
Temperature was 10deg Celsius
Wind ranged from 20-25 knots

I just upgraded to a futaba 14sgh and am looking forward to achieving similar range while adding functionality for more precise control while filming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers