Fat Shark Predator V2 question

Reaction score
I've had my Predator V2 for a few week now, and I can't get a decent picture no matter what I do!
I'm going from a Hero 2 to 250w trans. to gogs...... Terrible picture.
If I go from the gogs to my SmallHD monitor the picture looks pretty good.
The quality of the googles is so poor that I'm afraid to fly with them. Is it the "nature of the beast" or am I doing something wrong.
Appreciate any help!

Slugger

did you make sure your goggle and TX are on the same channel? also, like your monitor, your goggle has brightness, contrast, and such. however, the goggle can only display low resolution video, so even if your camera is set at 1080, you will loose resolution. even on an external monitor, i loose resolution because my monitor is only at 800 resolution max. the goggles are great when i am not worried about sharing what i see, but flying with the monitor helps since i don't have to rip off the goggles every time i need to see the phantom.

+1 for the above.

Was about to ask if you've adjusted the settings using the small thumbstick on the top of the goggles? I can't see it being a channel issue as the output of the monitor would suffer the same fate (in theory).

The fact it works on the ext monitor suggests its not the camera, GP cable or the TX so it may be something interal that is the issue. If you've tried the settings with the thumbstick and its still bad maybe worth calling the place you got them. Also worth asking someone else to try them incase it is your eyesight as I've heard near/far sightedness can make FPV googles uncomfortably blurry.

I've had my V2's for a week or so now and was never wowed by the internal image but it should be more than acceptable to fly with.

Thanks auck and Dewey.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much from under $300! It's just that the resolution is so poor that I just don't know how some of this pilots are weaving all round and thru tree etc., without better vision?

they just get used to it.

take your time, and have someone you trust spot you when you are wearing the goggles.

once you get the hang of it, it's great fun :)

Slugger - Your source is relatively low definition. The composite video out of the Hero 2 is essentially standard definition. Remember VHS tape players with the composite out? That's what you are starting with. Granted it is a pretty good composite video signal but still limited to 300ish lines of resolution by the nature of the signal/cable. Then it goes through the transmitter which probably doesn't do it any favors given the low cost. The analog signal from transmitter gets converted back to digital by your FatShark Predators for the VGA resolution (640x480) LCDs in it. Your external monitor may actually have better circuitry in it for handling the transmitted signal. Being larger may also help perceived resolution.

I would hope it would be pretty close however and as Dewey said, if you can't get acceptable quality out of the goggles I would talk to the vendor.

I am still getting used to mine. Barely had any flying time with them on but I can already see it will take time to get really detailed work. You also need to be careful with the wide angle mode on a GoPro. It can be quite misleading in terms of distance.
Don't forget you have two eyes to judge distance (via triangulation) and you only have one camera. That is where your mind plays tricks because you are using two eyes to see what the brain sees as normal (Especially tricked by the fact you are wearing goggles).

If you can I'd highly recommend seeking out someone close to you with a set of V2's (local RC meeting places) or find a RC shop that will let you test a pair (you don't have to tell them that you've got some already but they'd probably be ok with it).

Pwright is 'spot on' about the spotter. Have someone near you to let you know how close 'close' really is (ideally not on a 100 foot building!). Think of it like driving a new car... you soon learn where the front end is with practice! :D

I have the same setup as you. Monkey around with the goggle settings a bit...mine had the contrast and brightness so wonky that I could barely see anything. Also, the cable from the GoPro to the tx had the worst soldering I have ever seen...once I resoldered them the pic quality was much better. At the end of the day though the previous comments are correct...it takes getting used to. Hope this helps.

...i don't have to rip off the goggles every time i need to see the phantom.

On my first non-practice outing, the day was bright and sunny. My eyes adjusted to inside of the dark goggles and taking them off to check the Phantom's position, I was blinded for a bit by the bright sun. Thank goodness for GPS control and hovering!!

I have same problem. Got the predator V2 and diopter set. I wear glasses. Tried the diopters but image got more blurred. Need to sort this out as am not comfortable with the image.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl