Fat Phantom!

It's got a FAT shipping price too...

whats its purpose?? other than allowing bigger batteries to fit inside a P1?. and do the stock length wires fit or is that the purpose of the big green PCB??

Rumor has it that DJI is contemplating a "Super Phantom" similar to that size. (you didn't hear that from me)

EMCSQUAR said:
Rumor has it that DJI is contemplating a "Super Phantom" similar to that size. (you didn't hear that from me)

a super phantom would be nice, with 2.4ghz control and 5.8ghz FPV, full 360 rotation gimbal that is stronger and retracting UC, better camera ( well lens anyway, none of the fisheye crap ) and conventional batteries, no DJI only stuff. and dropsafe please. :)

locoworks said:
whats its purpose?? other than allowing bigger batteries to fit inside a P1?. and do the stock length wires fit or is that the purpose of the big green PCB??
Larger diameter should give more stable video and allows larger props. Also the addition room inside would allow internal installation of more goodies such as FPV transmitter, GPS locator etc.

locoworks said:
Bigger arms means bigger props. And bigger props COULD mean bigger payload. Though not necessarily. Certainly more stable.

But, really, the "purpose" would more likely come down to, simply, "I want a bigger bird".

The green piece looks more like a green piece of plastic (ie - a fake PCB... just to show what you can mount in the shell) rather than anything really useful... but who knows. I would imagine some rewiring would be required, and some leads would need to be lengthened to reach.

It would seem to me it is a DC (Batt.) distribution board for the ESCs.

Not likely a fake anything.

ProfessorStein said:
locoworks said:
Bigger arms means bigger props. And bigger props COULD mean bigger payload. Though not necessarily. Certainly more stable.

But, really, the "purpose" would more likely come down to, simply, "I want a bigger bird".

The green piece looks more like a green piece of plastic (ie - a fake PCB... just to show what you can mount in the shell) rather than anything really useful... but who knows. I would imagine some rewiring would be required, and some leads would need to be lengthened to reach.

so more weight to carry with stock phantom motors then??? same for the bigger prop benefit?? a lighter shell would be an improvement

locoworks said:
so more weight to carry with stock phantom motors then??? same for the bigger prop benefit?? a lighter shell would be an improvement

They are suggesting the Tarot 2214/920KV motors as compatible.
Are these bigger than Phantom motors or the same?
It would be nice to carry the Sony Nex5 camera but not on a fixed mount as shown.
Will probably need a considerably bigger bird to fly this camera properly.

If I were flying a better camera I'd want a hex, not a quad, for the increased reliability. A hex can lose a motor in flight and land under control; a quad will just fall out of the sky.

HarryT said:
If I were flying a better camera I'd want a hex, not a quad, for the increased reliability. A hex can lose a motor in flight and land under control; a quad will just fall out of the sky.

Keep in mind however that your flight controller must support that on a hex. Not all do. I know the Pixhawk/Arducopter firmware does now from my reading. Which is why I'm likely to purchase a Pixhawk for the hex build I'm doing now.

BigTulsa said:
HarryT said:

Keep in mind however that your flight controller must support that on a hex. Not all do. I know the Pixhawk/Arducopter firmware does now from my reading. Which is why I'm likely to purchase a Pixhawk for the hex build I'm doing now.

Sounds like from OI Photo's experience with an F550, they can handle loss of a motor/prop:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24229#p223762

Doesn't than mean the DJI NAZA, in general, "supports" it?

ProfessorStein said:
BigTulsa said:
HarryT said:

Sounds like from OI Photo's experience with an F550, they can handle loss of a motor/prop:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24229#p223762

Doesn't than mean the DJI NAZA, in general, "supports" it?
That would appear to be the case.

ProfessorStein said:
This is a power distribution board which allows you to fit the Phantom guts into the larger shell without extending the wires going to the ESC's. You would unsolder the ESC power wires from the Phantom main board and solder them to this board. You would also connect the Phantom Plus and Minus wires to this board. Otherwise, you could eliminate this board and just use longer wires on the ECS's.

Anyone actually built one? Wondering what the quality is like and how's the weight compare against the original?

Anyone actually built one? Wondering what the quality is like and how's the weight compare against the original?

It's actually quite heavy for a 400 size quad, don't count on breaking any endurance flight records.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic