Fan Issues

Reaction score
Tonight while idling my drone I heard the fan motor sound like it was intermittently revving up and down until it went quiet all together.

After trying two restarts the fan began to whine again at a steady pace...has anyone had this issue? If the fan stops running what are the risks to the drone?

Reactions: Chris@OKF
I think that is prudent to do not take the risk in wait the fan to stop by itself. It's better to replace it, since it's cooling down important components that are grouped too tight and need to be cooled in order to don't burn out.

Well I assuming this will have to go back to DJI and they will send me who knows what under the DJI Care program...

Is it thermostatically controlled? I don't know but that would explain it if so. Other things that are running off batteries such as laptops do not run their fans constantly and will speed up/slow down as needed.

If this is new or different behavior then I'd definitely take a closer look. Keep us posted!

Is it thermostatically controlled? I don't know but that would explain it if so. Other things that are running off batteries such as laptops do not run their fans constantly and will speed up/slow down as needed.

If this is new or different behavior then I'd definitely take a closer look. Keep us posted!
No it always should be running or at least for me it's always been running and like I said it started to sound like it was struggling winding up then winding down then winding up and then it stopped whining all together and now it's back down to normal. From what I can see the fan comes as part of the gimbal camera assembly and the fan isn't sold separately so I don't know how to go about dealing with that I've sent a message to support. I think I'd rather have a colonoscopy then send this into dji for repair. I fly everyday and would be waiting for weeks I suspect

No it always should be running or at least for me it's always been running and like I said it started to sound like it was struggling winding up then winding down then winding up and then it stopped whining all together and now it's back down to normal. From what I can see the fan comes as part of the gimbal camera assembly and the fan isn't sold separately so I don't know how to go about dealing with that I've sent a message to support. I think I'd rather have a colonoscopy then send this into dji for repair. I fly everyday and would be waiting for weeks I suspect
I know it's rough, but i would just send it in.. It could be something more serious than the fan (voltage controllers - etc).. You are right, on the P4P the fan is always on.. On the P4, it only came on when the craft would warm up..

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Mine runs constantly at a steady speed, I would think you have premature fan failure or a voltage issue, I would send it in for repair. As a point of reference, when I sent mine in for Care Refresh they turned it around in about a week (got there on a Thursday and left the next Friday), but I made sure to follow all DJI's directions to put Refresh number on outside of box, put a copy of RMA inside etc., so that it was handled promptly. That seems to work well and puts you ahead of others without Refresh. Having to send mine in was the main reason I decided to by a little race quad to hone my flying skills, learn to fly FPV, and learn acrobatics. Now I fly that one more than my p4p.

Reactions: SteveNPhx
I know it's rough, but i would just send it in.. It could be something more serious than the fan (voltage controllers - etc).. You are right, on the P4P the fan is always on.. On the P4, it only came on when the craft would warm up..
You are right! I had 2 P4's and the fan would come on at start up and stay on for a very short time. But the P4P stays on all the time. Mine is very loud compared to my buddies P4P that he just got a couple of months ago. So I'm prob gonna send mine back eventually to get a quieter gimble fan!

Well I spent the time last night emailing dji to report problem with the fan. Serial number proof of purchase and today I get their standard email can I send a video of the problem. Wtf. How does one get service there?

I've noticed that the fan can create all kinds of acoustic resonances in the shell and these can vary seemingly based on even how you are looking at the thing :) ... I would make sure that the fan speed is actually changing, it may be that it sounds like it is changing but it is actually the same and only the noise you hear is varying. If that's the case you can try slightly tightening or even loosening the tiny screws on the bottom of the unit which can drastically change the sound.

I've noticed that the fan can create all kinds of acoustic resonances in the shell and these can vary seemingly based on even how you are looking at the thing :) ... I would make sure that the fan speed is actually changing, it may be that it sounds like it is changing but it is actually the same and only the noise you hear is varying. If that's the case you can try slightly tightening or even loosening the tiny screws on the bottom of the unit which can drastically change the sound.
It stopped running altogether and bottom got real hot just sitting on table with props still...but it's now working...

So check this out, DJI telling me the fan is not sold separately and I would need the entire gimbal camera assembly for $699.99 - unreal

If they want you to pay $699 for a single motor issue, must be smoking a lot of wee there.

I would try to do some investigation and find out who makes the fan and just order it if possible. Maybe even hit up some electronic forums. You may be able to find someone out there that is obsessed with fans and will help out.

I wonder if you get a new camera/gimbal set just because it was making this noise or because it stopped to work?

Aren't you under a 1 year warranty man?
Yes and I have DJI care..I was just hoping to replace the fan myself rather then go through the nightmare of dealing with DJI. On initial contact I told them the problem they responded with their canned send a video please.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20