Falsed Home Point?

DrD

Reaction score
Scenario:

In rtf GPS mode, an a/c flight to the edge of adequate rc xmtr RF signal strength is reached. As the signal rises and falls above the useable level, could that possibly trigger a new home point? (Would that (potentially) be any different than quickly toggling the S1 switch, to reset the home point manually?) If the operator did not react accordingly, with further loss of signal the a/c might then rth to the new (falsed) home point, and land, with all the potential issues at risk. I realize that timing would have to be 'just right' but stranger things have happened ...

As an aside, if the dji vision app included a feature to restore a home point (take off point, or a remote location), recovery from a/c corrupted home point may be a last ditch opportunity to save the day. (This would be a pretty ambitious hack for the vision app). Furthering the idea, recording an 'alternate safe landing zone home point' could then be used if circumstances warranted it.

-Dale-

DrD said:
Scenario:

In rtf GPS mode, an a/c flight to the edge of adequate rc xmtr RF signal strength is reached. As the signal rises and falls above the useable level, could that possibly trigger a new home point? (Would that (potentially) be any different than quickly toggling the S1 switch, to reset the home point manually?) If the operator did not react accordingly, with further loss of signal the a/c might then rth to the new (falsed) home point, and land, with all the potential issues at risk. I realize that timing would have to be 'just right' but stranger things have happened ...

As an aside, if the dji vision app included a feature to restore a home point (take off point, or a remote location), recovery from a/c corrupted home point may be a last ditch opportunity to save the day. (This would be a pretty ambitious hack for the vision app). Furthering the idea, recording an 'alternate safe landing zone home point' could then be used if circumstances warranted it.

-Dale-

Very interesting topic. I also wondered about that many times; not only in that particular case; but also when "another" homelock was triggered to, say, touring a specific spot and setting another "home" by toggling the S2 many times. The responses I got so far was that the bird would always go back to the LAST "home" and there is no feature in the current dji software to "remind" the bird of the initial original "home".

The circumstances you describe are unlikely in most flying scenarios where the higher one goes, the more satellites your bird can see.
It's hard to believe that DJI design engineers would have allowed the home point to update if GPS lock is broken and re-established.
They are smarter than that.

For anyone really concerned about this, it would be a pretty simple matter to test and confirm under controlled conditions.

Meta4 said:
...It's hard to believe that DJI design engineers would have allowed the home point to update if GPS lock is broken and re-established.
They are smarter than that......

Let's not be too hasty here... they did employ Colin (Cell Phone Salesman) Guinn after all ! :lol:

I think I answered my own question ... I mentioned the S1 switch as the home point reset.... it's the S2 switch that does that. So loss of signal from the remote is NOT the same as resetting the home point, which takes a S2 switch toggle.

The Editor said:
Meta4 said:
...It's hard to believe that DJI design engineers would have allowed the home point to update if GPS lock is broken and re-established.
They are smarter than that......

Let's not be too hasty here... they did employ Colin (Cell Phone Salesman) Guinn after all ! :lol:
Well, he did put out many videos that many persons learned from on operation of their quad. He did more for DJI than anyone before or after he left. IMO, I think it is too bad those videos are almost all gone now. They were informative.

DrD said:
I think I answered my own question ... I mentioned the S1 switch as the home point reset.... it's the S2 switch that does that. So loss of signal from the remote is NOT the same as resetting the home point, which takes a S2 switch toggle.

Exactly. It's a TX command signal, rather than a loss or lack of signal, that triggers a home point reset.

And I fly to RTH point about every day and have never had it reset. As said about if is looking for a signal and not lack off.

Would be scary to think that the aircraft did anything but RTH with signal loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20