Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

False battery temp reading and fast discharge

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by dragon16, Sep 16, 2016.

1. dragon16

Hi all,

I'm new to the Phantom, having only had mine for a week or so, and hoping that I'm just missing something obvious here. I've spent a good amount of time and effort searching here and elsewhere for evidence that someone else has had this issue, but to no avail.

Here's the situation:
    I have about 6 successful flights under my belt since getting my P3S a week ago, without so much as a rough landing. On Monday, I went for a quick lunch-hour flight in a nearby park. The flight went just fine for 10 minutes or so. Then I noticed a warning of Battery Discharge Low Temperature. At this point, I also noticed that my remaining battery capacity was dropping off at an alarming rate. I initiated a return-to-home immediately, and got it safely on the ground before anything unfortunate happened.

Since then, I've done a bit of investigating. After fully charging the battery, the app still reports a low battery temperature alarm, and displays a constant temp value of -58. Not sure at the moment if that's in C or F, but I don't expect it matters much. Air temperatures on the day of the last flight were around 80F. Charging was done in my air conditioned home, kept at 76F. I was planning to perform a hover test, just to get a baseline for flight time on this battery (my only one so far). However, I am now unable to even start the rotors due to the battery temp alarm.

If anyone has some insight as to what might be causing the issue, your input will be greatly appreciated! I will happily provide any specific details needed.

Also, here is the flight log on healthydrones: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thanks in advance!

2. Techcop50

Welcome to the forum!
    Sounds like a defective battery to me...but I'm no expert.

3. WetDog

Sounds like some sort of sensor failure, either in the battery or the AC. Do you have another battery?

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 08.47.04 AM.png
    Either that or you had one hell of cold front hit your place.....

4. dragon16

Thanks for the replies, guys. The idea that it was a defective battery did cross my mind. I should also point out that I did buy the drone second-hand. The battery was also used, but purchased separately on Amazon. Thus, I still have a couple weeks to return it if it does indeed turn out to be the culprit. I have a second battery arriving on Tuesday. This one is brand new. I'll pop it in and see if the problem follows the battery or the drone.

I appreciate the input. I'm just a bit surprised that a pretty thorough search hasn't turned up another instance of this type of failure. It always stinks being the innovator in this type of situation.

5. Philltayl

Is the battery a DJI one or a 3rd party one?

6. dragon16

It's a DJI.

7. WetDog

When you get your new battery, be sure to post the results here.

We're always interested in new failure modes....

8. dragon16

I absolutely will. Should be Tues or Wed.

9. RodPad

So are you done? Meaning it won't fly at all now.

10. dragon16

That seems to be the case. The low temp warning is persistent, and it won't allow me to even start the rotors while that warning exists. It says "warm battery to above 15C and try again."

11. WilliamM

So it looks to be the AC. Since you bought a used one hope you get your money back.

#11 WilliamM, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  12. RodPad

He hasn't tried a second battery yet, hope that's it.

Rod

13. dragon16

I definitely wouldn't say that just yet, since I haven't yet tried the new battery. And since I'm pretty capable in the field of electronics (it's my career), I'd be more likely to attempt a diagnosis and repair than to try to return it.

14. WilliamM

Misunderstood, thought you got a new battery in that past post. Hope it works.

15. dragon16

No worries. The new battery is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Should be able to post back with results shortly after. Thanks!

16. dragon16

Good news, guys: The new battery works flawlessly!

And after testing out the new battery, I reinstalled the old one, just to confirm that it still has the same issue. While I was able to get it off the ground before the low temp alarm showed up, it failed again shortly after takeoff. I've initiated a return request on Amazon. I'm well within the allotted 30 days, so it should be fine.

Thanks to all who replied for the insight. I appreciate it greatly!

Techcop50 likes this.
  17. RodPad

18. Techcop50

Great news! Thanks for the post, very informative.