False accusations of voyeurism, from a cop caught shinning my drone with laser !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The
“Do’s and don’ts” for flying your drone" are not law, they are basic advises by transport canada and have no force of law...

But you are at a serious disadvantage as a result of them 'rules' regardless.

Your losing support here as your M.O. indicates some 'attitude' at work here.

But you are at a serious disadvantage as a result of them 'rules' regardless.
The M.O is from a copy paste from Transport Canada and i didnt change the fonts ;)
Your losing support here as your M.O. indicates some 'attitude' at work here.
Those are not rules, else they would be enforceable they are advises, and they are aimed obviously for starter pilots. Also consider the risks of a crash in a populated area such as here, if we calculate the weight of the aircraft, the fall range, and potential energy on impact, as well as the chances of an actual mechanical failure and then the chance to hit a car or person, the damage on a roof would be really low, and probably none, if really unlucky a car could get hit(as you can see there s not many cars in that area), would probably bounce off the roof and scratch the paint, maybe making a small bumb, and the chances to impact a human, are 0 because there was nobody in the street, so the risk of damage are actually way lower then if it was an actual full sized aircraft...

Anyway this thread was not about flying over populated area(and its not like im an idiot who fly over crowds or places with risks of big damage to persons or property), its about informing peoples that this did happen, and to be careful (most of us fly in city areas). Please stop trying to change the focus by saying we should only be allowed to fly over trees, mountains and lakes... You might as well start to say that it was justified to shoot a drone with a laser, and make stuff up to cover this fact, while you guys are at it ;)...

Last edited:
Reactions: qrandle
Not changing the focus. You do realize all contributing factors will likely be considered in the disposition? No one is 100% right or wrong, it will be somewhere in between. You ignoring the rules for 'starter pilots' does not help you nor does it excuse the laser incident. Period.

M.O. = modus operandi is someone's habits of working, particularly in the context of business or criminal investigations.

Not changing the focus. You do realize all contributing factors will likely be considered in the disposition? No one is 100% right or wrong, it will be somewhere in between. You ignoring the rules for 'starter pilots' does not help you nor does it excuse the laser incident. Period.

M.O. = modus operandi is someone's habits of working, particularly in the context of business or criminal investigations.
I agree with you but they are not rules ;) because rules are enforceable. Also notice that they dropped all the charges, after learning about the video evidence of the laser incident...

Edit : and they also said the cop is now under investigation, had a nice chat with the master sergent and even him said he likes my videos and pictures, and that i do this safely...

Last edited:
There is no way to win a general public popularity contest on this one so I don't know if I'd go to the press (is that what you inferred when you mentioned the radio interview?).

The judge will espouse the testimony the officer and his witness will serve up.
He identified himself as an officer of the law but you feared for your life.

1) I would go the Hospital to produce evidence of your physical injuries if you haven't yet.

2) Look for lawyers to take this case on.
If you take this on, remembering what happened will cause you to relive the same emotions you went through at the time. It's a form of mental torture and the reason why punitive damages can be so high in some cases.
Evidence you collected is smart. It also shows you flying towards it.

or

3) decide to accept which will liberate you to do nothing and move on with your life.
Times heals the wounds and the mind too.

Very sad you had to live through this.
Well said and way to lay out the choices. I agree in all. Sad, Truly. I only wish it was more surprising than it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: isopro
If you ever get into a situation like this in the future, use your cell phone for instance (if it is legal in your area) in a front shirt pocket to record video/audio before, during, and after the encounter. Create a shortcut to start recording easily if you are typically affected by adrenaline in these circumstances.

If it was a fairly fresh battery, keeping the bird in the air with the subject in view over an area it can auto-land safely when the battery runs out would be nice too.

Best would be not to engage, pack up, and not fly in the area again. Notify authorities if you so choose.

I understand your actions with the drone may have been technically legal, but as you discovered, plenty of people are batsh!t crazy... And the whole one life thing is important to keep in your mind.

BTW, in the states, it is typical to charge you with as much as they can in the hopes that something will stick or you will settle or plea to the one they actually wanted to stick if they dismiss the others...
Best advice is learn a lesson and move on... It's tough to mess with people that get paid to mess with people for a living... Even if you are perfectly in the right...

I'm not sure if you're aware but resisting arrest is not a felony if the arresting officer falsely arrests you. (50 people googling that right now trying to prove it wrong lol)

Say that once to the judge and the charge will be gone. I promise. When there is no reasonable grounds to arrest, you are being assaulted... it just happens to be by a cop.

Yeah, I would think they should know better too.

I think you carried yourself well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're aware but resisting arrest is not a felony if the arresting officer falsely arrests you. (50 people googling that right now trying to prove it wrong lol)

Say that once to the judge and the charge will be gone. I promise. When there is no reasonable grounds to arrest, you are being assaulted... it just happens to be by a cop.

Yeah, I would think they should know better too.

I think you carried yourself well.
Anybody with even a semi-legal mind knows this.

In reality, an officer is NOT ALLOWED to ask you for your ID unless they have "probable cause" to think something is up. Granted, the bar is low on "probable cause". At a concert, I was saw this "Hey Bob, I just saw him throw his cigarette on the ground, that's good enough to search his car" and then arrested him for marijuana possession. I told the cop that he was the biggest piece of manure I had ever seen and saw the whole thing and dared him to arrest me.

However, what I did was stupid. Best idea is usually just to be respectful, assume (however unlikely) that you have a good officer and not a bad cop and just avoid situations like this. You went looking for it. Don't mess with cops is my general rule of thumb. They have the power to destroy your life.

They have the power to destroy your life.

See I don't think it's as common as you think. A lot of people won't open their mouths because they don't want to rock whatever boat that is.

In reality, an officer is NOT ALLOWED to ask you for your ID unless they have "probable cause" to think something is up. Granted, the bar is low on "probable cause". At a concert, I was saw this "Hey Bob, I just saw him throw his cigarette on the ground, that's good enough to search his car" and then arrested him for marijuana possession. I told the cop that he was the biggest piece of manure I had ever seen and saw the whole thing and dared him to arrest me.

However, what I did was stupid. Best idea is usually just to be respectful, assume (however unlikely) that you have a good officer and not a bad cop and just avoid situations like this. You went looking for it. Don't mess with cops is my general rule of thumb. They have the power to destroy your life.
A Police officer can ask for ID any time they choose. YOU don't have to oblige him, but he can ask. It's up to the officer how far he wants to take it from there. I'm sure you did call them manure, you have called me that and you don't even know me. There is a big difference between asking someone for their ID, and asking someone to search their car. I would explan this to you but I'm sure it's above your pay grade
As for the op.. SUE THEM.. Sorry but I don't believe a word of this. But if it's true, sue the dept.. Enjoy your money.. If some cop is dumb enough to shine a laser at a drone, you track them down to their home, and they arrest you, SUE them. I'm calling BS on this story.. But in 28 years of being a cop I have seen some dumb cops along the way so who knows..

Last edited:
A Police officer can ask for ID any time they choose. YOU don't have to oblige him, but he can ask. It's up to the officer how far he wants to take it from there. I'm sure you did call them manure, you have called me that and you don't even know me.
As for the op.. SUE THEM.. Sorry but I don't believe a word of this. But if it's true, sue the dept.. Enjoy your money.. If some cop is dumb enough to shine a laser at a drone, you track them down to their home, and they arrest you, SUE them. I'm calling BS on this story.. But in 28 years of being a cop I have seen some dumb cops along the way so who knows..
Im telling you on my son and 2 daughters head, this is the true story, i've two withness of those events, i tried to get the reports from the police station today, and they refuse to give me a copy, they refuse to tell me the name of the officer who started that ********, they are trying to force me to fill a freedom of information act request...I spoke for 1 hour with the master sergent, head of the police station...Were you a Canadian police officer ?

They won't even give you a copy of the arrest and charges?! That's very strange indeed.

Im telling you on my son and 2 daughters head, this is the true story, i've two withness of those events, i tried to get the reports from the police station today, and they refuse to give me a copy, they refuse to tell me the name of the officer who started that ********, they are trying to force me to fill a freedom of information act request...I spoke for 1 hour with the master sergent, head of the police station...Were you a Canadian police officer ?
No.. And i can't say how things are done in Canadian.. You sound sincere.. And if I'm wrong then you have my apology.. That said.. AGAIN I SAY SUE THEM!! Every person arrested gets a booking slip.. It has all info on it. Time booked.. Arresting officer.. Property book.. Everything.. If your telling the truth.. Walk away from this form, contact a blood sucking lawyer.. And SUE them.. If I read this correctly then you have falsifying a police report, and false arrest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy
No.. And i can't say how things are done in Canadian.. You sound sincere.. And if I'm wrong then you have my apology.. That said.. AGAIN I SAY SUE THEM!! Every person arrested gets a booking slip.. It has all info on it. Time booked.. Arresting officer.. Property book.. Everything.. If your telling the truth.. Walk away from this form, contact a blood sucking lawyer.. And SUE them..
Does the booking slip include the original charges, and what other officer is involved (like the office who was claiming to be the victim (the one who was shinning the laser), and do you think they will let me get access to this file, easily or i will really need a lawyer, also do you think they can destroy files to cover up, or they cannot do so ? I will send you a private message...with some info i dont want to make public here...

A Police officer can ask for ID any time they choose. YOU don't have to oblige him, but he can ask. It's up to the officer how far he wants to take it from there. I'm sure you did call them manure, you have called me that and you don't even know me. There is a big difference between asking someone for their ID, and asking someone to search their car. I would explan this to you but I'm sure it's above your pay grade
Sounds like you're one of the good ones and the officers who are I respect, defend and appreciate as much or more than our troops so everything here is said with all due respect for your position, your service and your knowledge and I defer to it.

I was a criminal justice major at UF so I learned a thing or two about law and plus a lot of lawyers in my family.

Also, yes I called that cop (I say cop when no respect is due) because I saw him throw the rights that my ancestors, my grandfathers, uncles and aunts faught for and throw them in the trash right in front of me. What's wrong with calling someone that does that a piece of dung. Whatever was in the past with you and I back and forth may have lead you to think that I would throw that around to anyone but not the case. I respect you, especially now and thank you for your service. I do not lump you in with the bad ones that you yourself have said you've encountered. I've had enough bad cops that I always give respect but I truly give it once earned.

It would seem to me that asking me without probably cause for my ID is unconstitutional by way of the 4th amendment. With a little googling I found the following. Again, I defer to your knowledge on this if it's wrong.

***EDIT: As stated on a post below I read your post wrong and thought you were saying that a person HAS to give ID when asked. I see you said that an officer can ask any time he wants which of course is true. Sorry for the confusion.

So when can police ask for ID?

Carrying an ID is generally required if you’re driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline. These requirements have been upheld on the slippery premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.

From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to reveal their identity when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as “stop-and-identify” statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.

The below is also copy and pasted but I'm on my phone be and quoting it is difficult so...

“It has long been established that the loss of constitutional freedoms, “for even minimal periods of time, unquestionably constitutes irreparable injury.” Elrod v. Burns, 427 U.S. 347, 373 (1976) (plurality opinion) (citing New York Times Co. v. United States, 403 U.S. 713 (1971)).” — CANEISHA MILLS, ET AL., v. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, No. 08-7127, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, July 10, 2009

Are You Required To Show ID or Answer Questions To Police and Other Government Agents Upon Demand?

For showing an ID: The answer is NO, except ONLY under extremely limited circumstances (detention with “reasonable, articulable suspicion” during a Terry stop” OR when being detained under “probable cause” for the commission of a crime.

For answering questions: Absolutely NO, NEVER! You are NOT required to answer any questions or to speak at all. (Further, you are NOT required to take any “tests” – such as a so-called “field sobriety test” re: alcohol consumption or an “alcohol breath analyzer test.” Further, you can NOT be punished for your refusal. However, the U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that you are required to clearly and explicitly state that you “invoke your right to remain silent”, your “5th Amendment guarantee against self-incrimination, or words to that effect.

Below are some U.S. Supreme Court decisions which affirm your right to NOT show an ID (or otherwise identify yourself) or answer any questions.

”Texas may not criminalize by statute or practice conduct that is Constitutionally protected. — Coates v. Cincinnati, 402 U.S. 611, 616 (1971)

21. Papachristou v. City of Jacksonville, 405 U.S. 156 (1972) “a statute which serves as “merely the cloak” for arrests which would not otherwise be lawful is a pernicious affront to the Fourth Amendment and cannot be upheld”

“Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them.” Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Thus: All State, county, city or town STATUTES (regulations, ordinances, procedure/practice, etc), that “criminalize” a Constitutionally-protected right, are VOID and of NO LEGAL FORCE !!!!!!

I could go on and on but how is it legal to ask for my ID without infringing on my 4th amendment rights and probably some others to not be harassed without probable cause or at least something. Can't just randomly ask people for their ID. I mean you can but if it turns out that the officer can't prove there was cause, he is guilty of civil liberty infringement.

Of course I understand that this is all theoretical and in reality the cop is always right but as a matter of the black letter, I don't think from what I've read that you have to give an officer your ID if asked for no reason and be guilty of anything.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
See I don't think it's as common as you think. A lot of people won't open their mouths because they don't want to rock whatever boat that is.

Not opening your mouth and just letting a bad cop do his thing and feel good about himself, you should do. Stroke his ego, say "yes sir, no sir, thank you sir" and move on. Do NOT try to make a stand against a cop who wants to mess with you because even though you've seen a YouTube video that might show a cop doing bad get his, the majority of the time, doesn't work that way.

I swear on everything I hold holy that I know TWO in just my life of a cop molesting a woman. My wife, then friend, was felt up by two cops in Plantation, FL when she was 17 and another friend of mine had a similar experience. It all happened while "searching them". For the first one I'm telling you about, I was pulled over because I had an out of date (by 3 months) tag and he didnt even search me even though I was the one with the DLSR and she was searched and not me and they felt her EVERYWHERE. You think if I tried to do something about it, I would come out ahead? Hell no.

Learn this

Reactions: SGs and isopro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20