Fall crack

Reaction score
I have been enjoying my Phantom since I received it about a month ago. I found several threads about stress cracks on the Phantom 3. Unfortunately my issue is my own doing. I hit a branch and my P3 Advanced turned sideways and dropped about 20ft. Fortunately my guards prevented total disaster, but I do have a crack near one of the motors. Everything powers on and appears to work, but I am not sure what to do next. And I hope the answer isn't to spent another $999 :(

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 431
Can't really tell from the pic if the lower shell is cracked as well as the upper, but at a minimum you will want to replace the upper shell. That an easy repair.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been enjoying my Phantom since I received it about a month ago. I found several threads about stress cracks on the Phantom 3. Unfortunately my issue is my own doing. I hit a branch and my P3 Advanced turned sideways and dropped about 20ft. Fortunately my guards prevented total disaster, but I do have a crack near one of the motors. Everything powers on and appears to work, but I am not sure what to do next. And I hope the answer isn't to spent another $999 :(
You could probably fix it, but if it were me I would just buy a new shell.

If that is your only damage that is an easy repair. You won't even have to disassemble the shell. Just get some 5 minute epoxy, mix it up, spread the crack enough to apply a bit to the crack with a toothpick or cotton swap cut in half, and hold in in place until it sets. Take care not to use an excessive amount of epoxy or get it on the motor. Epoxy is very strong & the 5 minute type sets in..well...5 minutes! Have a paper towel handy wetted with alcohol to wipe away any excess that beads up on the outside of the shell. You will hardly even know it ever happened.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Maybe I'll try the epoxy for the moment, but also buy a new shell to have on hand as I have a feeling more accidents may be in my future :) I had tried to purchase a square trade but they said they don't cover these. That's another topic entirely.

As for the new shell, I assume it would be one of these http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Original-...7943&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+3+advanced+shell? I don't see any markings on it, looks generic.

Definitely try the epoxy first. For that repair with a bit of care you should have excellent results and will hardly know it ever happened. A full re-shelling takes a bit of time as you have to completely strip the electronics & install into the replacement shell. If you purchase a new shell get one of the newer ones that have been modified to reduce the risk of shell cracks. You might also want to watch a video on how to open the shell as besides the screws you have to deal with tab locks on all four arms.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Maybe I'll try the epoxy for the moment, but also buy a new shell to have on hand as I have a feeling more accidents may be in my future :) I had tried to purchase a square trade but they said they don't cover these. That's another topic entirely.

As for the new shell, I assume it would be one of these http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Original-...7943&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+3+advanced+shell? I don't see any markings on it, looks generic.

As for the new shell, I assume it would be one of these Amazon.com: DJI Original Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced Quadcopter Shell Body Top and Bottom Cover Spare Part No.30: Camera & Photo? I don't see any markings on it, looks generic.
don't use epoxy, use Plast-Aid. It forms a chemical and physical bond with the plastic and will never crack or come lose from flex or stress on the arm.

After being tipped off by someone on this forum, I will never be without this in my house.

don't use epoxy, use Plast-Aid. It forms a chemical and physical bond with the plastic and will never crack or come lose from flex or stress on the arm.

After being tipped off by someone on this forum, I will never be without this in my house.

Yep, that is an even better solution if he can find it easily. The JB Weld "PlasticWeld" is pretty much the same thing and can be found at most big box and auto parts stores if he is looking for instant self gratification. :)

I bought my Plast-Aid on Amazon but you can find local dealers on this website (assuming he is in the USA)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20