Fair price to charge real estate

No, I am saying go do your research. This is what I have found. ...and yet I have applied for my 333. So that should tell you something.

Long time lurker- first time poster. You guys realize that carrying a 333 exemption is not law right? I am finishing my 333 paperwork right now and through my research, and examination of case law there is no legal reason to have a 333. For me it has to do with film unions- Do some homework before waiving the 333 around. The FAA can not "decree" a new federal law into being, that requires an act of congress. The 3 times that the FAA went to court over this they lost. Great resource below-

http://droneu.podomatic.com/entry/2015-08-03T22_09_30-07_00

Undercharging hurts everyone. I work as a DP and as soon as I got out of school older guys were basically telling me to start at a number that showed I was green but didn't screw them over. We fight this in the film industry every day- some kid gets a 4k camera and will go out for $300 a day.
some kid gets a 4k camera and will go out for $300 a day.
It's called capitalism, supply and demand.

No, I am saying go do your research. This is what I have found. ...and yet I have applied for my 333. So that should tell you something.
It tells me you do not believe what you are saying so you shouldn't be encouraging others.

Ok I get it- I'm new, and I have hit a nerve. To work with union actors, I need a 333 and yes, I have licensed pilots ready to go. But I do not believe, after doing my own, and examining others research that I, nor anyone else really needs a 333 as of this day, to fly commercially.

Here is FACT- The 2014 mandate from the FAA (requiring a 333) is an interpretation of a rule trickled down from the reform act of 2012. Key word is "interpretation" not "law". A law is an act of congress, that has not happened yet. Even the National Association of Realtors (strong armed by the FAA to warn their members about hiring non 333 UAV pilots) admit, that though they strongly recommend hiring 333 pilots, not doing so will not violate their code of ethics.Why, because they know that the 333 mandate is not legally binding (yet).

Anyone dim enough to take something that they read on the internet, by a guy they don't know, as sound legal advice- well, right.

Here is some fun reading: http://www.bu.edu/bulawreview/files/2015/02/RULE.pdf

Last edited:
Ok I get it- I'm new, and I have hit a nerve. To work with union actors, I need a 333 and yes, I have licensed pilots ready to go. But I do not believe, after doing my own, and examining others research that I, nor anyone else really needs a 333 as of this day, to fly commercially.

Here is FACT- The 2014 mandate from the FAA (requiring a 333) is an interpretation of a rule trickled down from the reform act of 2012. Key word is "interpretation" not "law". A law is an act of congress, that has not happened yet. Even the National Association of Realtors (strong armed by the FAA to warn their members about hiring non 333 UAV pilots) admit, that though they strongly recommend hiring 333 pilots, not doing so will not violate their code of ethics.

Anyone dim enough to take something that they read on the internet, by a guy they don't know, as sound legal advice- well, right.
"Anyone dim enough to take something that they read on the internet, by a guy they don't know, as sound legal advice- well, right"
There are ignorant, uninformed kids who read these forums and you are being irresponsible.

You win- and we have hijacked this post. Charge a fair price based on market value, have insurance and research what options, legally speaking are right for you boys and girls.

I have amended my original post to state that my opinion is just that, however based on fact.

I'm going to fly now and do something productive. Enjoy trolling around and thanks for the welcome! I see that you're one of the originals, since waaaaay back in June. They will be asking you to moderate any day now.... Thanks for keeping the internet safe!

Too cheap in my opinion- east coast its 150-300 a house based on sq footage/ listing price. You're 100% right about the 333. 3 people have been called on the carpet and the federal judge tossed the cases based on precedent and lack of a clearly defined law barring commercial use. Fly safe, fly insured, but don't fly cheap!

Last edited:
The people that face the first problem with someone not having a 333 is the actual real estate company, they are hiring someone that is not licensed or insured to perform a job involved in the sale of the house. This is why some of the large real estate groups put a halt to all aerial photography.

It will quickly be like hiring any other professional, license and insurance will be necessary to do business

I do it for free. But I'm married to the Realtor... in our area, the Outer Banks of NC, prices start at $100 for a single shot and go to about $500 depending on the skill, equipment, and number of shots.

The biggest mistake I've seen is trying to sell Realtors too much - one guy tried to get around the law by doing the pics and video for free but selling his editing - but no one wants a 5 minute house video. They want single shots primarily for the MLS, and maybe one short, under a minute video to link to the listing.

I do it for free. But I'm married to the Realtor... in our area, the Outer Banks of NC, prices start at $100 for a single shot and go to about $500 depending on the skill, equipment, and number of shots.

The biggest mistake I've seen is trying to sell Realtors too much - one guy tried to get around the law by doing the pics and video for free but selling his editing - but no one wants a 5 minute house video. They want single shots primarily for the MLS, and maybe one short, under a minute video to link to the listing.

His 'way around the law' won't hold up at all,,,does he think the Federal Government is that dumb (ok don't answer that). The FAA has actually mentioned people trying such a scheme,,

His 'way around the law' won't hold up at all,,,does he think the Federal Government is that dumb (ok don't answer that). The FAA has actually mentioned people trying such a scheme,,

Yeah, the best way is to just keep your head down and don't make yourself a target. Right now the only safety is in numbers, and the fact that they've not successfully prosecuted anyone.

I wonder if they'd go after my wife for using my drone shots, or me for giving them to her? Maybe I should not be even asking that question if there's an FAA guy lurking...

I wonder if they'd go after my wife for using my drone shots, or me for giving them to her? Maybe I should not be even asking that question if there's an FAA guy lurking...
Snitch.jpg
just kidding.jpg
;)

Reactions: Vanjo Grale

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31