Failsafe

Reaction score
I am happy to report that my fail-safe works great!! took it up tonight to see if I could catch some footage of fireworks. shot it straight up and realized after a while i had no control of it any more. came back down within 10 feet of where it left. PHEW!!!! :D

Hello,

indeed breathtaking when it works but sometimes the DJI Phantom is WAY off its start position or keeps drifting on the ground. At least in my tests.

I have a question about failsafe.

I understand how it works whilst in GPS mode but I have also set the S1 switch to GPS, ATTI, Failsafe via the assistant software.

I thought that if I flick S1 to Failsafe, whilst flying, that it would return home. It doesnt.

Maybe I've misunderstood this concept.

Could someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

mpjubb said:
I have a question about failsafe.

I understand how it works whilst in GPS mode but I have also set the S1 switch to GPS, ATTI, Failsafe via the assistant software.

I thought that if I flick S1 to Failsafe, whilst flying, that it would return home. It doesnt.

hmmm,. are you sure that you switched it on while the Phantom was connected to the NAZA?
whiled connected, if you flip the S1 to Failsafe,. does it indicate it's gone into Failsafe in the NAZA software as well?

what does it do?

(is should hold in place for few seconds, fly up to 60ft (or remain at an altitude higher), then fly home, hover and land.

Hi Gizmo,

I'll check this again this evening to confirm. I did set it to failsafe, via the assistant, and I did flip the switch to its 3 positions and saw this represented in the assistant software.

I may have been a bit hasty with the test though. I plugged the battery in and then moved the drone about 20 feet away whilst it was still warming up. Maybe that has "confused" it somewhat?

Maybe I'm just a bonehead, but I just realized that you need to go to the Basic, then R/C page, and then enable Failsafe for S1 from the pulldown menu, not just what kind of FS you want from the Advanced page. No wonder it just sat there!

Curt

Curtster said:
Maybe I'm just a bonehead, but I just realized that you need to go to the Basic, then R/C page, and then enable Failsafe for S1 from the pulldown menu, not just what kind of FS you want from the Advanced page. No wonder it just sat there!

Curt

I also set the FS mode for the right hand switch via pull down menu . I tested it, with the quad hovering about 20 meters away, and it did not do anything. In fact, I could still control it with the sticks.
Is there a LED light mode that indicates it is in fail safe mode?
I'm too chicken to try the 'transmitter turn off' test.
Has anyone got that switch to initiate a return to home ?

The RTH function will only work if your Phantom has successfully recorded the home position:

1. About 30 seconds after you connect the battery, you will see rapid GREEN indicating that the home point is recorded.

If not:

2. Manually set the home point ( especially if you move your Phantom after you connect the battery):
2.1 heading direction: flip the switch between OFF & CL 4-5 times, you will see rapid GREEN to confirm.
2.2 home position: flip the switch between CL & HL 4-5 times, you will see rapid GREEN confirm, then switch back to OFF.
You can even do 2.1 and 2.2 in flight.
CL requires just the compass to work but HL requires GPS with 6 or more satellites.
Now it is a good habit to test BOTH CL & HL function by flying out 10 meters or more.
Rotate your Phantom side way, flip from OFF to either CL or HL,
(GREEN/YELLOW flash) then pull the "RIGHT" stick back; your Phantom should come back to you (no matter how its orientation).

If and only if you completed the steps above, you can then be sure that the FS or RTH function will work when you flip to FS position.

I'm very careful to let it sit until I get only the green single flash mode, indicating an optimal GPS lock.
I'll test again today paying more attention to the rapid greens. I believe last time I tried FS , the home lock mode *was* working as expected, indication a good home position.

Have you tested the Fail Safe activation from the right hand switch all the way down ?
Anybody have that work as expected ( climb up, then come home ? )

lesdit, I've used the failsafe switch for a safe RTH at least 4 times. In every case it did exactly what DJI said it would -- and now I don't hesitate to enable it if I've lost my sense of orientation and feel that the Phantom is at risk. (I'm learning to fly and don't have the best vision.)

lesdit said:
I'm very careful to let it sit until I get only the green single flash mode, indicating an optimal GPS lock.
I'll test again today paying more attention to the rapid greens. I believe last time I tried FS , the home lock mode *was* working as expected, indication a good home position.

Have you tested the Fail Safe activation from the right hand switch all the way down ?
Anybody have that work as expected ( climb up, then come home ? )

Several members from the other forum reported successfully FS switch function with joy.
For some reason my first Phantom never recorded the home position after connected the battery for 30 seconds but I never used either CL, HL or RTH but when it was sent back because the usb connection failed, my new Phantom works fine with that rapid GREEN after 30 seconds every time.

It is also possible that if a Phantom lost satellites (less than 6 locked in) just before or after entering into the RTH function, it will not come home. :( Wind, cloud, hazy days are not good for GPS.

tanasit said:
It is also possible that if a Phantom lost satellites (less than 6 locked in) just before or after entering into the RTH function, it will not come home. :( Wind, cloud, hazy days are not good for GPS.

Good question.

I coulda sworn that the past few flights my Phantom has recorded home position with fewer than 6 satellites.
(but I always wait until there's no red blinks )

I imagine upon RTH, the Phantom will use as many satellites as possible to RTH, even if fewer than 6 are available

lesdit said:
Curtster said:

Curt

I also set the FS mode for the right hand switch via pull down menu . I tested it, with the quad hovering about 20 meters away, and it did not do anything. In fact, I could still control it with the sticks.
Is there a LED light mode that indicates it is in fail safe mode?
I'm too chicken to try the 'transmitter turn off' test.
Has anyone got that switch to initiate a return to home ?

Exactly the same with me. I'm using a Futaba T8FG Tx and it's set to Failsafe (rather than Atti) on the flight mode switch bottom position. When I flip it to Failsafe during flight, absolutely nothing happens - so what exactly does this mode do? In the same vein, turning OFF the Tx causes the Phantom to return to home as described in the manual. I'm completely confused. BTW, I've tried this many times and the Naza has full GPS locks etc, etc.

Meteoroz said:
Exactly the same with me. I'm using a Futaba T8FG Tx and it's set to Failsafe (rather than Atti) on the flight mode switch bottom position. When I flip it to Failsafe during flight, absolutely nothing happens - so what exactly does this mode do? In the same vein, turning OFF the Tx causes the Phantom to return to home as described in the manual. I'm completely confused. BTW, I've tried this many times and the Naza has full GPS locks etc, etc.

You might not have set up the T8FG properly with end points and such.

Connect to the NAZA software and see what occurs when you do toggle the switch.. it should indicate that it's in failsafe (in the same area were you can choose between ATTi/Manual or Failsafe in the pulldown).
You might need to adjust your Tx so that when the switch is in failsafe it will provide the correct signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik