Failsafe RTH and No Fly Zone

Reaction score
All,

What will happen with the Failsafe RTH path crosses through a No Fly Zone? (For example, when the outbound flight skirts around it)

I've noticed that when approaching an NFZ, two things happen: I cannot fly further, and it starts to automatically land.

Thanks,
Dave

Yes, that about sums it up! DJI has apparently made it part of their software to automatically land when in or close to a no fly zone. Operator loses all control! Very dangerous if it just decides to land in the middle of a highway or around a bunch of people. There are other posts about this problem. I don't know if DJI has addressed it or not.

Agree. This auto land when hitting a NFZ wall is disturbing given that some NFZs aren't clearly marked or identified, just happen on one and then it lands in a tree, down a mountainside, lake, roof, people's heads, etc. Very bad plan to not be able to back out of it.

With them increasing the NFZ areas, it's gonna get worse until a bad accident occurs where they will be liable, as in case law where "Control was taken from the pilot who could have steered it away from striking baby Jesus."

Reactions: MedicFL1
Dont fly near NFZs end pf problem [ MOST NFZ ] are easy to spot as you see big heavy objects making lots of noise with people looking out of windows as they travel up in the sky and coming down from the sky.............................anyone flying near these places are DICKHEADS :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Garryjohnbradley
Dont fly near NFZs end pf problem [ MOST NFZ ] are easy to spot as you see big heavy objects making lots of noise with people looking out of windows as they travel up in the sky and coming down from the sky.............................anyone flying near these places are DICKHEADS :rolleyes:
Your Daddy really should be more careful about leaving his keyboard unlocked.

Well. Just for the record. I flew my p4p today. Checked several maps and the official U.K. CAA maps for updates and potential hazards and NFZ restrictions.
It showed totally clear.
Then whilst I was putting on my props, 2 very large and very loud Chinook helicopters flew around. They were not even 100m up.

Nothing on the maps at all.

I decided to wait for them to go before taking off.

Airports are NOT the only No Fly Zones - if only they were.
What else might be? Disney World (probably any and all themed parks, in fact, and surrounding areas ... That piece of land that has a lot of trees around it with NO exterior markings.
The Desert. Yes there are areas of the desert that are used for training (also unmarked) like range areas north of Yuma,AZ. The signal range in Malabar,FL.
Then there's declared NFZ's which cities and towns are busy creating ordinances for, like; What will Daytona put into effect for Bike Week and Sturgis,SD too for that matter. These EVENTS are now spread out wider than they have ever been and Drones will be a money maker. reference Orlando's new ordinance and $200-$400 fines.
It should be against the law for any drone to land uncontrolled.

Reactions: KongWerks
I have never flown near a NFZ, how does one even know when nearing one?

I use three apps (for different reasons and features): "No Fly Zone", "Hover", and "UAV Zones".

No Fly Zone is quick, easy, and seems to cover more of the smaller regional airports, but, it only shows a 30 mile range at a time.

Hover is highly detailed, has a cool flight log you can fill out for each flight, has weather readings and shows you at startup whether you are in a NFZ, but it's slower than the others.

UAV Zones' best feature is that you can type in a location to search it, regardless of where you actually are at the time. The rest show the circle around where you are standing.

But you're not wrong... there is no exact science... and the consequences can be frustratingly severe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Your Daddy really should be more careful about leaving his keyboard unlocked.

WHAT A DAFT RESPONSE o_O mind you most forums have fools that reply to post with nonsense were talking about NFLs Theeerrrree Plaaaaccess Weeee SHOOOULD nOT be ......was that easier for you to understand.......................awaiting with baited breath nonsensical reply from you ASAP

Last edited:
All,

What will happen with the Failsafe RTH path crosses through a No Fly Zone? (For example, when the outbound flight skirts around it)

I've noticed that when approaching an NFZ, two things happen: I cannot fly further, and it starts to automatically land.

Thanks,
Dave

This appears to be exactly what caused us to lose a P4. The thread covering the whole saga is here, but this is the short version:

My son was flying and reached the boundary of a flight-restricted area. Although he had previously taken off and flown inside the area (under the altitude limits), on this flight when he approached the boundary from outside, the bird would not fly any further. He commanded RTH (it didn't go failsafe)... he had not skirted or penetrated the boundary, the drone just moved laterally along it. The RTH would have flown in the opposite direction of the NFZ (or whatever the correct term is). For whatever reason, the bird disconnected shortly thereafter and never returned.

We found it three days later, returned it to DJI because we assumed it was faulty, but they called it operator error due to being in proximity to the NFZ. The uncommanded descent (which the on-board flight log showed) was apparently a programmed behavior which we were unaware of. Ignorance is no defense, and they claim it was doing what it was programmed to do (or at least accepted no liability for the damaged battery).​

I know there were some issues with the Android version of Go causing problems recently, but we were using the iOS version and this all happened without inputs from the R/C (after signaling the RTH). It sounds like a programmed behavior connected to the GEO system, but I haven't been able to find any documentation to support that theory. Others on this forum and the DJI forum have offered opinions as such, but I'd really like to see it written into some sort of documentation by DJI.

Airports are NOT the only No Fly Zones - if only they were.
What else might be? Disney World (probably any and all themed parks, in fact, and surrounding areas ... That piece of land that has a lot of trees around it with NO exterior markings.
The Desert. Yes there are areas of the desert that are used for training (also unmarked) like range areas north of Yuma,AZ. The signal range in Malabar,FL.
Then there's declared NFZ's which cities and towns are busy creating ordinances for, like; What will Daytona put into effect for Bike Week and Sturgis,SD too for that matter. These EVENTS are now spread out wider than they have ever been and Drones will be a money maker. reference Orlando's new ordinance and $200-$400 fines.
It should be against the law for any drone to land uncontrolled.
Let's be clear, the area around airports isn't NFZs. At most, they are "controlled airspace". NFZs are areas that for whatever reason, no one flies in. Whether there is something unique, dangerous or that requires some special protecting such as a wildlife preserve. They are on all the time. Areas around stadiums or special events will have TFRs for a short period before, during and after the event. Cities, towns, even states don't have the authority to set either. They, as can anyone, can request that the FAA create one.

Last edited:
WHAT A DAFT RESPONSE o_O mind you most forums have fools that reply to post with nonsense were talking about NFLs Theeerrrree Plaaaaccess Weeee SHOOOULD nOT be ......was that easier for you to understand.......................awaiting with baited breath nonsensical reply from you ASAP
I see pops still hasn't put you to bed yet. Snack time in kindergarten is going to be tough tomorrow.

Would a cookie settle you down?

If your DAFT enough to fly near a NFZ you deserve to lose the aircraft................i fly real aircraft and in my opinion DJI have done the best thing by programming it to land ASAP................. hopefully giving you a long walk to recover it.....................I enjoy my P4 but grow up dont consider flying your TOY in places that interfere with any other type of aviation if its deemed you should not be there...............i love the statements when people complain the aircraft landed automatically and did not return to me....................the last thing a pilot needs is some PILLOCK flying his uav around the NFZ when hes landing or taking off...................

YIPPEE ive got my very own troll.............well you didn't suprise me with your very own eloquent and well thought response...............i better be careful how i respond to you in future as its plain to see im debating with a very sharp and intelligent adversary...............have you ever though about taking the DENSA examination as i feel from your reply's you would do very well in that exam...............oooooooh you clever bugger ya got me really on the rope with that well thought out response :eek: dos it make your head hurt thinking how to put together such intelligent replys ??????????????????.................. i think ive bitten of more than i can chew discussing anything with a man of you fantastic whit and genius

Last edited:
All,

Thanks,
Dave

I live in a neighborhood near an airport. The beige radius is close to my house and a designated NFZ. Although I don't fly near it, I'll fly a quarter mile to half a mile from the radius. So your saying if I flew near it my p4 could just randomly stop and descend? I thought you had to be inside the NFZ. Then when I flew at my park(about 15 miles away from this NFZ ) I get a warning there's an airport LOL

4e4b312ad247c2e0d75c99a249e55c1b.jpg

0cad6605b349d817fedd79b1de376d7a.jpg

Last edited:
Just downloaded the UAV zones app recommended here. Looked at the map and populated several heli pads. Wtf! Does that mean your not allowed to fly within the heli pad zones
48ada55b1ae172899e3e99f4080f8c24.jpg

And according to the other app, I basically am not allowed to fly anywhere lol. This doesn't make any sense. There is only one airport and that's RDU where I live in Raleigh. According to those apps I shouldn't be flying my drone but only in rural areas.
afd4e205d34738da361505a4c68bbb9e.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl