Failsafe overfly

Reaction score
Hi all, first post just after an expensive incident.
Was flying p2 Vision + normally everything was showing ok on the app.
Had calibrated ok
Just upgraded to Naza and wanted to test the functions.
Turned failsafe on from about 30 meters, p2 went up as normal and then flew towards me, but before I could react it flew right over me and the home point and crashed into the top of a tall tree
It then came crashing down, landed with engines at full throttle which kept going for about 3-4 minutes
and then stopped by themselves.
Result, P2 was undamaged, recalibrated and flown cautiously, all ok.
However, one destroyed camera and gimbal, cost in Oz around $800!!!
I can get almost new p2 vision + with accessories for a bit more
What do you guys think about second hand p2, and any comments about the flyover
Regards, Brian

Buy phantom 3 advanced for $799

Edit: and sorry for your loss, keep the p2 for fun flights and use the p3A otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You need to be sure that you've reset your home point by switching S1 (right side) up and down at least 5 or more times. When the flashing yellow LEDs turn to flashing green, you're done. And as Markmnd stated, be sure that you have RTH height set above any potential obstacles.

P3a is the only way to go at this point. Lot a drone for the money. I feel like DJI has written off the P2 series.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, the new P4 should be out in a month or two, but I'd wait for the P5 due out in the early Summer, or the P6 before the Fall. The P7 and P8's will likely be available just in time for the Christmas shopping season. All previous versions will be relegated to the same support status as the P1. Good luck. I'll stick with my P2's as parts and peer support are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Last edited:
My guess is either home point was not set or you took off with the minimum sats locked and lost one during your FailSafe test - causing it to drop into ATT mode and overshoot the home point without GPS. Just a guess.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I tend to agree that I may have accidentally switched off failsafe.
I have been checking replacement cameras and they were all around au $700 +. Another $150 for a p3 standard so I bought one!
Thanks to everyone and I have ordered a camera protector and taller landing gear !!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20