Failsafe mode altitude question.

Morgon said:
schatz said:
I'm very new to Phantoms, but wanted to mention what mine did yesterday.

I was flying much higher than a rookie had any business doing, probably 100'. I lost the ability to see which end was front, and the video was hard to see in the sun. It was 100' up and maybe 200' feet away. I panicked, tried turning and moving forward to see which way to head back. I was over the opposite side of a river and approaching a bluff, maybe 75' above me. I raised it up to avoid trees on that bluff and it went up and away, out of sight. I cursed, turned off the transmitter, tried to get a bead on where it was going and ran to the car. As I was getting in I heard a familiar buzzing sound and realized it was coming to papa. The relief I felt can not be described in words.

My reason for mentioning, is that in newbie mode, I assume Phantom vs Nuzo(sp), it did not drop to 60' above home, if it did it would have hit the trees on the bluff. It maintained the much higher altitude, came home, lowered to around 60' and then slowly descended landing softly. Looking at the video, it's return flight was far smoother than any I've done in my first week. It landed within 5 feet of where I started that day.

Nicely done. That sense of relief is very... well, relieving. In reference to your height, I was at 180' feet for the first time today (I live near an airport; that's my height ceiling from the app) and that'll make you nervous, too.

Just as an FYI (and not necessarily a suggestion at this point), Naza mode may actually help in these situations. In Naza mode, switching S1 to the middle will allow you to fly in a grid in absolute directions against 'home'. So if you're still standing the same way you launched the quad, left will always make it move to your left, no matter which way it's actually facing.

Further, pushing S1 all the way down will make forward/back in a circle relative to home. So if you're facing north, and the Phantom is south-east (i.e. behind you), pulling 'back' will move it directly towards you. Subtle difference, but can be a life/quad-saver.
I think you meant S2. S2 to middle position is course lock. S2 all the way down is home lock.

Thanks Morgon and Srandall. I will check into Naza mode. Much to learn and too little time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.