Failsafe mode altitude question.

Reaction score
I'm starting to experiment with letting the Phantom2 Vision+ go out of my sight in my backyard field (no houses there and I know the area very well), going over the far tree-line at 25m alt and dropping to 10m on the other side past the trees to get closer footage of a water catch basin on the other side. I'm curious how fail safe mode would work if I should happen to lose signal due to a wet forest, etc. if I lose contact, would it rise 20m (up from 10m to 30m) and come back home, safely clearing the trees?

I see 20m on the fail safe mode diagram, but am not sure if this is what is meant.

It will rise 20 meters from point of takeoff... not point of lost signal...

If you want a higher return height...

Takeoff and gain some altitude... say 30ft for example
Flip the S2 switch rapidly while looking at the lights under the Phantom
When you see a burst of rapid green flashes your new home altitude and position is marked
Now it will raise up to 20 meters plus the 30 feet you marked as home point...
When it comes for landing it will descend all the way to the ground until it senses no more downward movement and kill the motors.

That's a great idea! I read about setting a new home point on the fly, haven't tested that yet. I'll re-set one in the air straight up after take-off!

Cheers.

Failsafe has never brought any of my quads home. I hate to confuse you from what DBS told you. I have some cool video showing my quad enter failsafe, and slowly descend, and land. I also had used phantom mode controller option up until a few weeks ago. Now I use NAZA, and basically limit it to only using the S1 side of NAZA. I wish I would have used NAZA a hell of a lot sooner. My feeling of security went from 55% when using the Phantom option to around 85% with NAZA. I read people that have issues when switching from one to the other, but I'm sure they are those that don't take the time to learn what they need to do, correctly.

Btw, I believe failsafe reacts different in phantom mode then in naza. In phantom you have RTH. In naza it's failsafe. and works like it should. Sorry for the confusion.

I saw some recommendations about NAZA. I will check that out.. I am not sure of the diff yet, gotta watch some vids.

flyNfrank said:
Failsafe has never brought any of my quads home. I hate to confuse you from what DBS told you. I have some cool video showing my quad enter failsafe, and slowly descend, and land. I also had used phantom mode controller option up until a few weeks ago. Now I use NAZA, and basically limit it to only using the S1 side of NAZA. I wish I would have used NAZA a hell of a lot sooner. My feeling of security went from 55% when using the Phantom option to around 85% with NAZA. I read people that have issues when switching from one to the other, but I'm sure they are those that don't take the time to learn what they need to do, correctly.

Btw, I believe failsafe reacts different in phantom mode then in naza. In phantom you have RTH. In naza it's failsafe. and works like it should. Sorry for the confusion.

It all depends how you set it up in the Phantom assistant software... failsafe will either , land where it is , or RTH ... depending on which option you select.

flyNfrank said:

Just like DBS writes. Its selectable in the assistant.
When RTH is initiated you have the option, land there or go back to HP.

DBS said:
It will rise 20 meters from point of takeoff... not point of lost signal...

If you want a higher return height...

Takeoff and gain some altitude... say 30ft for example
Flip the S2 switch rapidly while looking at the lights under the Phantom...

My understanding and experience is that it will rise to 20 meters (if it's currently under that height) from the point of signal loss and RTH initiation. It will then take the shortest path to home while maintaining that height. It will then hover for 15 seconds at home point and then land. If you are at an altitude above 20 meters when RTH is initiated, it will maintain whatever altitude that is while taking the shortest path to home and hover for 15 seconds and then land. I understand what DBS is saying, but I think it could be misinterpreted.. which is why described it the way I did.

Also, I believe to properly reset the home point, you flip S2 between the middle (IOC) and downmost position (home lock) 5 times. Resetting IOC orientation is accomplished by flipping S2 bettwen the topmost position and middle position 5 times. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I don't perform this.. it's just what I've read in the forum... This is all in NAZA mode of course..

srandall25 said:
My understanding and experience is that it will rise to 20 meters (if it's currently under that height) from the point of signal loss

That is incorrect... it will not rise to 20 meters from the point of signal loss...

It will only rise to 20 meters from the point of takeoff where the home position has been set... :ugeek:

DBS said:
srandall25 said:
My understanding and experience is that it will rise to 20 meters (if it's currently under that height) from the point of signal loss

That is incorrect... it will not rise to 20 meters from the point of signal loss...

It will only rise to 20 meters from the point of takeoff where the home position has been set... :ugeek:

From the point of signal loss, it will rise to 20 meters... (not 20 additional meters.. just 20 meters) if already under 20 meters altitude. It will rise to this altitude from the point in which it lost the signal... that's why i stated the context slightly different... apparently still not clear enough though...

I could say it's impossible to rise from the point of takeoff when RTH initiates since it's no longer at the point of takeoff... see what I mean...? Was just trying to word it a little different for purpose of clarity...

Your wording still isn't clear. From what I understand, when home point is established, altitude is zero. If you fly someplace below the altitude zero (certainly possible if you are on the top of a hill or a building) and RTH is initialized, the Phantom will rise to 20 meters above the home point which could be MORE than 20 meters from where the Phantom actually is. Your wording makes it sound as if it will only rise 20 meters (period) when RTH is initialized. Also, if you set the new zero point while in the air at say, 10 meters, when RTH is initialized, the Phantom will rise to 30 meters above the point from where you took off. I'm sure you understand this, it just didn't appear to come out that way in your words...

GRWeldon said:
Your wording still isn't clear. From what I understand, when home point is established, altitude is zero. If you fly someplace below the altitude zero (certainly possible if you are on the top of a hill or a building) and RTH is initialized, the Phantom will rise to 20 meters above the home point which could be MORE than 20 meters from where the Phantom actually is. Your wording makes it sound as if it will only rise 20 meters (period) when RTH is initialized. Also, if you set the new zero point while in the air at say, 10 meters, when RTH is initialized, the Phantom will rise to 30 meters above the point from where you took off. I'm sure you understand this, it just didn't appear to come out that way in your words...
Good point. My statement above assumes altitude of zero at ground level and no home point reset after launch. I should have said it will rise to 20 meters in height above whatever home point altitude was recorded either at the time of motor start or at the time of home point reset.

I think resetting home point once you are in the air is a very useful function. Say you are in the air and notice some smoke stacks that's approximately 70+ feet high. If you would go into failsafe mode on the far side of the smoke stacks and you are lined up to hit one of them, the phantom would hit the it on its way back to home point.

But if are in the air then notice the smoke stacks are higher than your normal failsafe height of 20m (65+ feet) you can increase the height of which your phantom will go up to by resetting home point. If you are at 20 ft when you reset your home point and if you go into failsafe your phantom will raise to a total of 75 ft (20 ft + 65 ft) prior to traveling to its home point.

I think resetting home point once you are in the air is a very useful function. Say you are in the air and notice some smoke stacks that's approximately 70+ feet high. If you would go into failsafe mode on the far side of the smoke stacks and you are lined up to hit one of them, the phantom would hit the it on its way back to home point.

But if are in the air then notice the smoke stacks are higher than your normal failsafe height of 20m (65+ feet) you can increase the height of which your phantom will go up to by resetting home point. If you are at 20 ft when you reset your home point and if you go into failsafe your phantom will raise to a total of 75 ft (20 ft + 65 ft) prior to traveling to its home point.

It should also be noted that if you are flying above the RTH level when signal is lost, it will stay at that last altitude and then RTH. A good reason to fly high in a unknown area.

I'm very new to Phantoms, but wanted to mention what mine did yesterday.

I was flying much higher than a rookie had any business doing, probably 100'. I lost the ability to see which end was front, and the video was hard to see in the sun. It was 100' up and maybe 200' feet away. I panicked, tried turning and moving forward to see which way to head back. I was over the opposite side of a river and approaching a bluff, maybe 75' above me. I raised it up to avoid trees on that bluff and it went up and away, out of sight. I cursed, turned off the transmitter, tried to get a bead on where it was going and ran to the car. As I was getting in I heard a familiar buzzing sound and realized it was coming to papa. The relief I felt can not be described in words.

My reason for mentioning, is that in newbie mode, I assume Phantom vs Nuzo(sp), it did not drop to 60' above home, if it did it would have hit the trees on the bluff. It maintained the much higher altitude, came home, lowered to around 60' and then slowly descended landing softly. Looking at the video, it's return flight was far smoother than any I've done in my first week. It landed within 5 feet of where I started that day.

Saved me $1300.

Love this site, can't wait to read more.

Bob in SE Wisconsin

schatz said:
I'm very new to Phantoms, but wanted to mention what mine did yesterday.

I was flying much higher than a rookie had any business doing, probably 100'. I lost the ability to see which end was front, and the video was hard to see in the sun. It was 100' up and maybe 200' feet away. I panicked, tried turning and moving forward to see which way to head back. I was over the opposite side of a river and approaching a bluff, maybe 75' above me. I raised it up to avoid trees on that bluff and it went up and away, out of sight. I cursed, turned off the transmitter, tried to get a bead on where it was going and ran to the car. As I was getting in I heard a familiar buzzing sound and realized it was coming to papa. The relief I felt can not be described in words.

My reason for mentioning, is that in newbie mode, I assume Phantom vs Nuzo(sp), it did not drop to 60' above home, if it did it would have hit the trees on the bluff. It maintained the much higher altitude, came home, lowered to around 60' and then slowly descended landing softly. Looking at the video, it's return flight was far smoother than any I've done in my first week. It landed within 5 feet of where I started that day.

Nicely done. That sense of relief is very... well, relieving. In reference to your height, I was at 180' feet for the first time today (I live near an airport; that's my height ceiling from the app) and that'll make you nervous, too.

Just as an FYI (and not necessarily a suggestion at this point), Naza mode may actually help in these situations. In Naza mode, switching S2 to the middle will allow you to fly in a grid in absolute directions against 'home'. So if you're still standing the same way you launched the quad, left will always make it move to your left, no matter which way it's actually facing.

Further, pushing S2 all the way down will make forward/back in a circle relative to home. So if you're facing north, and the Phantom is south-east (i.e. behind you), pulling 'back' will move it directly towards you. Subtle difference, but can be a life/quad-saver.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20