Failsafe keeps kicking in

Reaction score
My Phantom had been flying really well... but for the last day it's as if the transmitter range has been halved. When it gets 100 or 150 metres away, the failsafe kicks in and brings it home. I can switch out of failsafe once it's nearly home by switching from GPS mode (which I always fly in) to ATTI and re-take control but it doesn't seem to want to go very far. On a couple of occasions it's also felt unresponsive to a bit of forward movement on the pitch stick when it's 100 metres or so away - doing nothing at first and then suddenly responding to what I'm doing with the controls... as if there's some sort of loose connection.
Here's what I've done;
- taken the transmitter apart and checked the aerial connections
- taken the Phantom apart and checked the receiver/aerial connections
- done a full calibration of the Phantom & transmitter controls through Naza Assistant (I'm on v3.14 and I was quite happy with it!)
- calibrated the transmitter itself as per the Phantom advanced manual instructions
- tried switching "Receiver Advanced Protection" on/off within Naza Assistant
- changed the batteries in the transmitter

None of the above has changed my situation. The Phantom is flying and responding absolutely normally when it's close by - it just keeps switching into failsafe/return to home if it goes more than 100 or 150 metres away.
I'm flying in open countryside, miles from anywhere and have never had any problems with range before. It least it isn't flying away! :)

Any ideas?

Its a strange one have you added anything to your setups such as FPV? Are you using a gopro with WiFi on? As either of these may cause signal interference and so reduce range.

Possibly the radio antenna may have been damaged in some way if it snagged on something but otherwise just contact DJI as range should be much better then that and easily go beyond 300m in a good area. I assume you are maintaining LOS as 2.4ghz doesn't go through object too great but you said this was in open countryside.

Hi - thanks for the check-list. No, nothing has changed that I can think of from when I was able to fly with much greater range. Certainly no GoPro wi-fi issues - I know of the problems that can cause! I'll take another look at all connections before contacting my dealer.

Couple other things to try make sure your transmitter batteries are good, dont use rechargable batteries the have lower voltage then standard batteries,, also check the battery prongs in the transmitter make sure batteries are making good connnection, heard that some of them get loose,, also make sure your reciever antennae wire is soldered good on reciever and and taped to a leg on the phantom, good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20