Failsafe/Go Home warnings appear after reaching 800 meters

Reaction score
Took the 550 out to test the distance of my FPV system. My 550 rig has the iOSD mini, and while flying for distance yesterday a 'FS / Go Home' message appeared when I reached the 800 meter distance. I quickly turned the craft around and headed for home. I had about a 10 mph headwind so it wasn't difficult for me to get back (I did this intentionally). Anyhow, I'm a relative noob to this hobby, but I don't recall in any of my research about this particular thing happening. When I landed I had about 35% battery left so I doubt it had anything to do with the battery. Hopefully someone here can offer up an explanation. The limits that are set up in the Naza F/S tab are the default (2000m altitude, 2000m radius). Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Failsafe/Go Home warnings appear after reaching 800 mete

FangsCPO said:
Wow!! I've never heard of that happening but it could be their latest and greatest update. If you haven't read, the most recent firmware update limits your altitude when you are close to airports and designated runways. Do you live close to an airport or runway?

http://www.dji.com/info/releases/dj...-mark-ii-and-new-firmware-v1-06-for-iosd-mini

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154030

Fangs,
I was miles away from an airport, so I don't think that was it. I went ahead and changed the radius amount to 3000m in the F/S tab and I'm going to disable the voltage settings for auto-landing. I'll do a test later today and report back.

On a different note: I see you reside in Chula Vista. I went to school at SDSU and spent a decade there before returning home (Guam). I'll be in the area (Spring Valley) in June and will likely bring my Phantom. Any suggestions of where to fly? Thank you.

ericty said:
Fangs,
I was miles away from an airport, so I don't think that was it. I went ahead and changed the radius amount to 3000m in the F/S tab and I'm going to disable the voltage settings for auto-landing. I'll do a test later today and report back.

On a different note: I see you reside in Chula Vista. I went to school at SDSU and spent a decade there before returning home (Guam). I'll be in the area (Spring Valley) in June and will likely bring my Phantom. Any suggestions of where to fly? Thank you.

I would recommend the "Sleep Train Amphitheatre" area, it use to be called Coors Amphitheatre and later Cricket Amphitheatre. It's right next door to the former "Knott's Soak City", it's now called Aquatica. Get off on the Main St. exit off of the I-805. There is a huge lot there and as long as there are no events going on, it's a great place to go and fly around. There's lots of open land and there's also the Heritage R/C Park there also. If you go there on a Wednesday thru Friday you'll see the off-road RC running and if it's a Saturday you may catch some RC Racing.

Lots of open land out there, pretty safe area to have a blast flying around.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZFEkHUD7EE[/youtube]

The Naza-m doesn't have the no-fly zones that are in the phantom Naza firmware.

Reading the account, I may have missed something, but this strikes me as a standard FS situation. Your quad may have gotten a bit out of range, or you were unmoving on the sticks and triggered RAP, which also failsafes.

The iOSD says "FS" and then "GoHome" when it is in RTH mode, that's normal. I can't tell if you overrode it or had it come home on its own in RTH. But it wasn't telling you that "you must go home now", it was letting you know it was entering RTH and would go home on its own.

ElGuano said:
The Naza-m doesn't have the no-fly zones that are in the phantom Naza firmware. Reading the account, I may have missed something, but this strikes me as a standard FS situation. Your quad may have gotten a bit out of range, or you were unmoving on the sticks and triggered RAP, which also failsafes. The iOSD says "FS" and then "GoHome" when it is in RTH mode, that's normal. I can't tell if you overrode it or had it come home on its own in RTH. But it wasn't telling you that "you must go home now", it was letting you know it was entering RTH and would go home on its own.

In another forum there were suggestions that It was merely a matter of the Tx losing contact with the Rx triggering the F/S messages. At this point,that seems very logical...but I'm absorbing all comments right now. Thanks ElGuano.

ElGuano said:

Reading the account, I may have missed something, but this strikes me as a standard FS situation. Your quad may have gotten a bit out of range, or you were unmoving on the sticks and triggered RAP, which also failsafes.

The iOSD says "FS" and then "GoHome" when it is in RTH mode, that's normal. I can't tell if you overrode it or had it come home on its own in RTH. But it wasn't telling you that "you must go home now", it was letting you know it was entering RTH and would go home on its own.

i am not familiar with "RAP". would you mind enlightening me? also, what circumstances would result in LAND in the lower left corner of iOSD? is that battery below 15%? i am using stock settings on low battery levels and actions.

kelly

wkf94025 said:
ElGuano said:

i am not familiar with "RAP". would you mind enlightening me? also, what circumstances would result in LAND in the lower left corner of iOSD? is that battery below 15%? i am using stock settings on low battery levels and actions.

kelly

I had that happen to me once also when I first had my F550. I was still using the DEVO7 radio and all of the sudden I saw on my screen the word "LAND" in the low left hand side the the F550 was coming back without me controlling it. It just happend for no reason and that's when I when I changed out the DEVO7 for the DX7s. I had only been up in the air for maybe 4-5 minutes and my voltage was showing as 11.4 which is well above my safety settings.

wkf94025 said:
ElGuano said:

kelly

Receiver advanced protection is a bit of code that tries to determine if your tx signal has been swamped by a rouge RF source. the assistant has more info on it, but if your sticks are not centered AND unmoving for 30 seconds, it assumes the signal is not coming from human hands (which would have some bit of movement at all times) and initiates fail safe.

I have not seen "LAND" in iOsd, but it makes sense that it's part of fail safe. If you set FS to "go home and landing" it will say "go home" when flying back and "land" when descending. If you set failsafe to "landing only" it makes no sense for iOsd to ever say "go home" so it just says "land" as it auto descends. That's my guess :)

I had problems flying farther than 800-900 meters myself with my 550. It was simply a matter of losing contact between the radio and the transmitter. Found that if I climbed to a higher altitude my distance increased also. I can now get out to 1400 meters before FS/RTH kicks in. I'm using a Futaba 8FGHS. It's king of funny my FPV works at longer distances than my radio does...

U.M.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.