Failing Phantom 2

Reaction score
Can anyone help please? Flying the P2 today in a stable hover at about 80ft AGL, full compass/GPS lock, full battery, RC all working correctly, S1 & S2 both in up position, been flying for about 8 mins when suddenly, the P2 rotors stopped dead and it fell out of the sky, writing off the Zenmuse H3 2D gimbal and god knows what else damage. At first I thought it had been shot down. Anyone else experienced this and can advise me what may have caused it? I've given the P2 a brief autopsy without opening anything up and there is nothing obvious like missing cables etc. The unit still flies after usual Compass/Gps lock etc. HELP!!! :shock: :?:

Can you plug it into the Assistant software and get the stats on the battery from it? Might give a clue as to whether it was a battery issue. Other than that you might need to open it up and see if there's any broken solder joints (although might have happened due to the crash, rather than be the cause of course), unplugged connectors, etc.

I'd open it up - sounds like another case of bad solder joint. If all 4 rotors stopped - that would be my first guess.

Which firmware are you using? do you know your quad weight?

what happened is something like this?: minute 6

http://youtu.be/ehModXmQErM

Is it just me or does it sound like the engines start in two pairs, slightly apart? (1:10)
Also, that weird interference sound after startup when the engines are idling is something I haven't heard before.

Fyod said:
Is it just me or does it sound like the engines start in two pairs, slightly apart? (1:10)
Also, that weird interference sound after startup when the engines are idling is something I haven't heard before.

I would tend to agree with the pair observation. It really does sound like a minimum of one motor is starting later than the others.

Thank you all for your kind responses, sorry I haven't got back sooner. It would appear that there was a battery connection problem and that I apparently hadn't pushed the battery all the way in (even though it sounded/looked like I did). Maybe there was dirt on the connections?

After careful examination, a safety conscious firmware upgrade and the fitting of a new Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal all seems to be fine at the moment. However, it has made me feel a little nervous of flying and I have my flight test coming up for my PFAW!

Wish me luck :)

We've seen a few under voltage events recently. Sometimes it causes auto-land but I think in extreme cases, the Phantom goes into a brief coma. We need a DVR output during the coma to see how bad it is. Does the OSD show the under voltage? Do we lose bearings? Do we lose OSD? Do we lose vTX?

Even better would be an OSDII log or Pawelsky's Teensy CAN Naza logger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers