Failed Release?

This is my first Phantom product but not my first RC aircraft and I'm wondering is this a failed, poorly executed release....

Based on all the issues with the Phantom 3 release is this normal for DJI?

I mean there has been lots of issues and rumors with this release. Backpack with P3P, iOS app not working, shipping delays etc.

Is this normal for a highly anticipated DJI product release? Was this the same deal for the Inspire?

As a first time buyer it's kind of crazy to think that an issue like the iOS app not working would even exist. You would think that is something that is as important and promoted would work well before units started shipping.

I am still waiting for my P3A and after hearing about the iOS delays I wish I would of waited longer. I am afraid a rushed app may have bugs or other issues that may cause a crash.

So do you think this is a failed poorly executed release? Or is this usual business for DJI?

Your correct, once again DJI F@*&% up. Not only is the iOS delayed the "Extra" batteries are delayed also. And yes I do own DJI products

Your correct, once again DJI F@*&% up. Not only is the iOS delayed the "Extra" batteries are delayed also. And yes I do own DJI products
Everyone on the planet besides you knew spare batteries wouldn't be available until mid May, it seems.

Reactions: Jerdel
This is why preordering is bad practice.
1) impulse buying
2) lack of information
3) high expectation
4) receiver of the money isn't encouraged to release a ready product without faults

A prime example is how many kickstarters have failed to accomplish their goals. The same goes for the PC/console gaming industry.

Even worse when the company isn't able to offer sufficient customer support and just keeps trying to patch everything so that a small amount of products are actually returned.

Agreed, and I really hope that there aren't any bugs in either the aircraft or the control mechanism. A faulty iPhone is an inconvenience, an out of control Phantom is much more dangerous and any incidents will affect the whole market not just DJI.

There has been a lot of talk about the legislation of end users flying. I for one would like to see legislation compelling any rc aircraft maker to investigate all instances of out of control models as a matter of course.

I can't believe that the logs in the Phantom 3 are stored on the Phantom itself rather than in the remote control, not to mention that so much emphasis has been put on long range none-los flight.

Dji were not specific with dates... Start shipping end of April, early May, middle of May. Which so far they have stuck to, they didn't state every pre order globally will be shipped on the same day, I should imagine logistically that would be impossible.

With regard to the battery as bbfpv pointed out it has always been shipping in mid May, which again is not an exact date or to a specific geographical location.

The only criticism I have is with the IOS app, but there's not a lot I can do about that, my P3A is coming Tuesday and I may not be able to fly it.... I'm sure I'll survive and have enough other stuff happening in my life to distract me until I can finally get my bird into the air.

It looks like once you get your hands on one of these P3s that goes much further, with more precision and shoots much better for a price no other maker can match, that you are unlikely to talk about DJI failing.
It's early but there aren't many complaints coming in from all the new owners yet.
This just might be DJI's best yet.

All of DJI's problems are a direct cause of them trying to get the product out as quickly as possible to meet IMEDIATE market demands.

1. They don't have the resources to keep up with the growing userbase (That will get better)
2. They rushed out the P3 to get it in the hands of the impulse buyers before they have any competition (Smart Business Decision)
3. When they do have competition, the P3 will be further evolved. (Competition between manufacturers is good for the consumer. It drives progress)

Financially, they made a good decision and are reaping the benefits.. (You as consumers are helping to make it possible for advanced growth)

Because of the above, it looks like initial releases of their products will follow this template and you should expect a few bumps..

But overall it wasn't a failed release from their standpoint... And not a failed release from a consumers standpoint, just a bit bumpy.

Last edited:
You are not a troll. I think you asked a serious question. My opinion is that initial products released by any corporation are loaded with flaws and problems. They are rushed out the door. The workers tell them lies about being ready so they wont loose their jobs. Middle management lies to upper management to save their jobs. To not have an app ready with the release of the product is beyond belief.

It is all about DJI getting your money in their pockets. Their customer support stinks, which tells you how much money they want to invest in helping customers. I would send it back for a refund, and wait for everything to settle down, or buy from another company.

Funnyshin... I wouldn't be that dramatic... The product is still at the top of the market right now.. Who knows what will happen in the future.

The battery was no screw up, everyone knew this before hand.. Only thing that is missing is the ios app. Bummer but it is coming.

The p3 is outstanding and an excellent value.

Agreed, and I really hope that there aren't any bugs in either the aircraft or the control mechanism. A faulty iPhone is an inconvenience, an out of control Phantom is much more dangerous and any incidents will affect the whole market not just DJI.

There has been a lot of talk about the legislation of end users flying. I for one would like to see legislation compelling any rc aircraft maker to investigate all instances of out of control models as a matter of course.

I can't believe that the logs in the Phantom 3 are stored on the Phantom itself rather than in the remote control, not to mention that so much emphasis has been put on long range none-los flight.

People really need to stop posting such crap. There are logs stored on the tablet as well. Even shows stick moments for the entire flight.

The battery was no screw up, everyone knew this before hand.. Only thing that is missing is the ios app. Bummer but it is coming.

And DJI has taken responsibility for this and apologized (not here but in the RC Groups forum). Hey, if I ran iOS I'd be upset as well. It was a screw up, no question.

DJI certainly felt the need to rush out the P3. They would have wanted to beat the Solo and Q500+/camera upgrade to the market.

With the current legislation, trust me, Liability is DJI's biggest concern.. From what I have seen, the flight control system is very safe. They have implemented a very smart design and move further every software and hardware update. I would guess that most flyaways are a result of operator error, poor or no flight planning, and or the lack of complete operator understanding of the flight control modes... Storing the logs on the vehicle itself is the most logical decision.

I for one would like to see legislation compelling any rc aircraft maker to investigate all instances of out of control models as a matter of course.

I for one don't think my tax dollars need to be spent to make sure a toy manufacture determines what went wrong with someone's purchase. o_O

It's a civil matter... and a very small one at that.

IT'S A RADIO CONTROLLED TOY. We don't need laws to find out why they did not return to the owner.

Reactions: Buzz313th
I for one don't think my tax dollars need to be spent to make sure a toy manufacture determines what went wrong with someone's purchase. o_O

It's a civil matter... and a very small one at that.

IT'S A RADIO CONTROLLED TOY. We don't need laws to find out why they did not return to the owner.
LOL, we also need responsible operators, who if they want to be called "Drone Pilots", need to take a bit more responsibility and put more effort into flying safely and professionally..

I believe it's inevitable (considering all of the dumb operator errors and poor decisions being made by some) that the FAA/NTSB and other aviation administrations are going to implement some very strict regulations governing both commercial operation and enthusiast operations.. And mostly for the simple reason that a drone flown with disregard is pretty dangerous..

To address the posts on the first page, I believe the OP asked a serious question.

The posts with the sole purpose of calling the OP a "troll" have been removed. Not everyone has been dealing with DJI for years and knows how they work. This was a question that needed to be asked and lets give our opinions in a non-derogatory way. Thanks!

To address the posts on the first page, I believe the OP asked a serious question.

The posts with the sole purpose of calling the OP a "troll" have been removed. Not everyone has been dealing with DJI for years and knows how they work. This was a question that needed to be asked and lets give our opinions in a non-derogatory way. Thanks!
Thank You Jacob.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj