Failed Compass Calibration - Cannot Fly

Reaction score
I just received a new DJI Phantom Quadcopter on January 17, 2013, purchased from DSLRpros.com. I assembled the aircraft following the instructions. I charged the aircraft battery and installed transmitter batteries. I printed off a copy of the pdf Manual and followed the pre-flying instructions. The compass of my aircraft can be calibrated to the correct solid green LED status in the horizontal plane but will not calibrate in vertical plane to show the LED going off to confirm calibration. The LED flashes red after an attempt at vertical aircraft rotation for compass calibration. The flashing red indicates a failed calibration. I repeatedly tried this numerous times.

The DSLRpros.com web site forum for aerial rigs has a company posting that this has been reported by Phantom customers as a common problem and is a "bug" needing a firmware upgrade.

Who knows when that will be available. IN THE MEANTIME, DSLRpros.com recommends NOT FLYING the quadcopter without proper compass calibration.

Anyone else out there having this problem? :roll:

Having same problem. Had hard crash and it will not calibrate. Connect to Naza software and it says to connect to controler???????

I had a similar problem, but what tipped me off to the Phantom's inability to calibrate the compass was a flashing yellow/red. Just back and forth between yellow and red. According to the manual this meant failure of the compass to calibrate.

Turns out I had blown the compass while assembling the unit using a magnetized screwdriver. While I was troubleshooting I did install the DJI drivers and assistant software, this confirmed my compass problems.

I posted about this in another section of the forums here.

If it is a hardware problem, you're lucky it's the compass, they're only about $15.

diver95 said:
Having same problem. Had hard crash and it will not calibrate. Connect to Naza software and it says to connect to controler???????
Obvious suggestion, but sometimes overlooked in the emotional trauma of a crash (just kidding); but seriously, check all your connections are tight.

Do you know what error code 25 and 26. on DJI NAZAM Assistant 2.00 calibration means? Help needed. :geek:

I also have failed compass calibration but mine failed straight from the box. I have not been able to fly my Phantom since it was delivered. Extremely frustrating to say the least. I also have an additional problem when I try to take off it tips over as soon as I try to move past the 50% throttle point. I checked the rotors and they are properly installed. There is definitely something wrong. anybody have any ideas?

Reactions: Midwestquads
I was informed yesterday by e-mail that the DJI engineers in China are working on this fairly common, out-of-the-box calibration bug and have a repaired test unit which has 50 hours of error-free performance thus far.

It is not uncommon for a new tech product like this to have a "bug" and be in need of firmware updates. What everyone should know, however, is a newly purchased DJI Phantom quadcopter is only "ready-to-fly" if you are lucky enough to have a unit whose GPS/compass will actually calibrate. While a defective unit may fly, its controllability is obviously in doubt until the fix is incorporated into the defective unit.

I have to give credit to DJI for incorporating a USB cable and connector installed inside the battery compartment for such updates to the unit. There is also a USB extension cord to connect the plug to a computer, for updates, with the cord being included inside the shipping box.

A quick hello to all. I've enjoyed reading all the information on this fourm, and thanks for taking the time to post and answer questions. I've been using the Gopros since they came out (mostly underwater) and after watching the phantom videos I was hooked. I've always wanted to get in to RC Flying but couldn't Justify the cost, along with my other hobbies. Now that I can blend two hobbys together I'm floating on clouds, except for my phantom is having the same calibration problems as other. I went to three different parks, hundereds of 360's Hoz always gets the green light, nose down always gets flashing red, then yellow/red. Went back to the hobby shop that I Purchased from. They tried with the same results. They hooked it up to the computer and could find nothing wrong. They said leave it and they will contacT DJI to try and resolve the problem. They said DJI was a top notch company and they would keep me posted. Head down tear in eye I said thank you and walked out. Went home and told my son that he will need to share the "Blade mQX" for a few more days. Glad to hear they know of the problem and are working on it. Again thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience.

Everyone should be aware that this suggestion can do even more damage to your compass. I have seriously doubt that this will work. The Phantom user manuals clearly state that the compass should not be exposed to magnets or magnetic interference! How then can this possibly fix a compass error by directly exposing it to a magnet? I would highly recommend that you do not try this until DJI has publicly confirmed that this is safe to try!!!

I bought a Phantom when first released and had the red & yellow flashing light (compass problem) luckily enough I had bought from DSLRPro via Amazon, so I just returned it (UPS free shipping) I got my second one last Tues......same problem! shipping it back tomorrow, I am going to wait now until this problem is sorted, and will buy from someone who can test it first before shipping!

Just did the following (shown below) with my Phantom at the hobby shop, and everything appears to be working. Two successful flights (approx 10min each), charging batteries to go out again. Picked up a Turnigy 2.2 (20-30c-discharge 2200 mah) 3cell 11.1v. looks and preforms like the original except the cord is a little longer.

Hope this helps out others.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/products ... downloads/

Phantom updates are available now!

Updates in assistant v2.02:
You can read out the compass raw value and the modulus on page "tools". You can fix the compass red-yellow problem according to the raw values and the mod value.

updates in quick start manual 1.3:
Add some instructions about compass and flight safety.

Sorry try this, I didn't realize when I copy and past it changed the link. Should say phantom down loads at the top of the page.

Was able to get another flight in after dinner, everything still working good.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/products ... downloads/

Phantom updates are available now!

Updates in assistant v2.02:
You can read out the compass raw value and the modulus on page "tools". You can fix the compass red-yellow problem according to the raw values and the mod value.

updates in quick start manual 1.3:
Add some instructions about compass and flight safety.

Has anyone tried the latest update for the compass error using the Naza Assistant 2.2? I updated my Phantom today which fixed the compass calibration errors I have been receiving along with better attitude control. However my GPS I think is still not working? I always take-off in ATTI mode as the manual suggests and when I switch to GPS the Phantom comes shooting straight towards me very time? I am hoping this is due to indoor testing. I will try outdoor testing tommorrow and post my results.

Please if you have tried this update post your results. I would also love to know what exactly did this latest Assistant v2.2 update fix?

the suggestions bout the magnet use to fix compass can be viewed through phantomm software its a pop up during advance calibration and it is done if advance calibration fails.

I just received an e-mail reply from DJI. They specifically recommend the circling of a magnet around the compass module as a fix. They also said they are working on a "final solution." That sounds a little ominous (chuckling).

Reactions: Midwestquads
I can not calibrate..... Look at bottom right error code.
Can anyone solve this? I'm still waiting on DJI

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 2,163
diver95 said:
I can not calibrate..... Look at bottom right error code.
Can anyone solve this? I'm still waiting on DJI

Hi,
Same here but after a crash.
Dji suggested I ask for a replacement from dealer, Instead of telling me the problem.
Now I have a phantom as decoration.

Did this happen after a crash?

Hope someone can help here.

Harry

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie