"Fail safe" brain teaser

I here ya on the stick & rudder!
Manual Mode is one reason to hang on to a P2.

Any chance of trying to repeat the flight?

Likely lost GPS as well as remote link . You were not that far so distance not cause of remote signal loss, so.... interference likely did.It likely interfered with GPS and so lost Home Point .
It would then land where it was.

Likely lost GPS as well as remote link . You were not that far so distance not cause of remote signal loss, so.... interference likely did.It likely interfered with GPS and so lost Home Point .
It would then land where it was.

I'll have to return to the site to see - but my first guess would be that it would not be the case.

From what I understand - the remote gives (more or less) off a linear signal - which is why DJI advises to have the unit aimed perpendicularly to the antennas on the remote - and be aware of obstructions (i.e. buildings, people, trees, etc). So with structural interference in the way - I could see why I lost the RC signal.

But with GPS - to go from 15+ satellites to 0 in about 3 secs after loss of RC signal, I would think, is not as likely.

I'll have to return to the site to see - but my first guess would be that it would not be the case.

From what I understand - the remote gives (more or less) off a linear signal - which is why DJI advises to have the unit aimed perpendicularly to the antennas on the remote - and be aware of obstructions (i.e. buildings, people, trees, etc). So with structural interference in the way - I could see why I lost the RC signal.

But with GPS - to go from 15+ satellites to 0 in about 3 secs after loss of RC signal, I would think, is not as likely.
You maybe right, and I realize your looking for "why", so I thinking 2 possiblities. 1/ a fault or 2/ it worked properly
My thinking was eliminate 2/ .... the only reason it wouldn't RTH is if home point was not set or the aircraft was within 20 meters of home point or lost GPS., even if this occurred after your takeoff but before you got to the final landing point. Wasn't clear what the obstruction was so since you know what the obstruction was you would be better judge.
I've flown just near the edge of a bridge and went from 16 satellites to 2 in 2 seconds.
with 2 I lost GPS obviously.
Just a suggestion to consider

You maybe right, and I realize your looking for "why", so I thinking 2 possiblities. 1/ a fault or 2/ it worked properly
My thinking was eliminate 2/ .... the only reason it wouldn't RTH is if home point was not set or the aircraft was within 20 meters of home point or lost GPS., even if this occurred after your takeoff but before you got to the final landing point. Wasn't clear what the obstruction was so since you know what the obstruction was you would be better judge.
I've flown just near the edge of a bridge and went from 16 satellites to 2 in 2 seconds.
with 2 I lost GPS obviously.
Just a suggestion to consider

Very interesting example of GPS quickly degrading. I'll definitely have to check out GPS signal at the site the next time I have a chance.

With only the 1:45 mins of recording from the DJI App - the only way I'll really find out anything concrete would be if there was more than just telemetry from the blackbox. Wish DJI would share it's reader!

I've never used it, but I hear of something called Healthy Drones website.
Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers