Fail safe altitude

JPG

Reaction score
Is the Failsafe Altitude (distance above ground) I input maintained by the drone relative to ground elevation at the location the Return to Home kicks in (and maintained throughout the return path?) or relative to the elevation of the home point?

It's relative to the elevation above the home point.

For further clarification, the quad's height telemetry is always relative to the home point. if you launch from the edge of a 200 ft cliff and fly 50 ft up and out, it's height will register 50 ft, not 250 ft.

Reactions: EddieG
make sense. So using your example if I have the Fail Safe elevation at 100 ft then if I do a Return to Home the drone (ground elevation=0) will rise to elevation 300 ft (relative to it's location) and maintain that elevation until it gets back home correct?

Likewise if Home Point elevation is at El=0 and I fly my drone up and over the top of a cliff (still within line of sight) at El=200 and my Fail Safe is set at El =100 would it drop to the ground if I hit a Return to Home?

Likewise if Home Point elevation is at El=0 and I fly my drone up and over the top of a cliff (still within line of sight) at El=200 and my Fail Safe is set at El =100 would it drop to the ground if I hit a Return to Home?
Sounds like a bit of RTH reading is required.
There's 2 pages about RTH in the manual and it's very important for Phantom owners to understand if they want to keep flying.

The Phantom will never drop in an RTH situation.
It will only rise to RTH height if below RTH height ...or stay level if already at or above RTH height.

Plus your Phantom has no idea if you fly over a cliff or even fly below the home point.
The only height it knows is home = zero and all other heights are above or below home.

Reactions: EddieG
Perfect! I have read that (pgs 14-15?) and marked it up and was still not completely clear. I was saw where it stops ascending and heads Home immediately but it didn't say it does not descend (unless I missed something again) which was my concern. Maybe that's what Failsafe Illustration 5 RTH is trying to show? Thanks Folks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20