FAIL: Black goo of death (epoxy)

Reaction score
I thought I'd report another failure trying to remove the black epoxy on the Phantom 2+ 5.4 GHz board. I destroyed one of the connectors. I'm convinced it would have been impossible to successfully remove the epoxy. Just as an FYI, I am a very experienced technician/engineer with exactly the correct tools for the job. I work almost daily with surface mount parts and even have a reflow oven and SMT microscope. I carefully used a new #11 Xacto blade to slowly scrape away the epoxy. It had completely penetrated the compression fitting on the male connector. The shield on the connector separated from the board.

In any case I had already purchased a replacement 5.4 GHz board with the epoxy removed on eBay. I put the new board in and all is working fine now. Guess that was a $75 experiment. I'm convinced for most people that you'll end up replacing the board if you try to remove the epoxy.

Mack

W4AX said:
I thought I'd report another failure trying to remove the black epoxy on the Phantom 2+ 5.4 GHz board. I destroyed one of the connectors. I'm convinced it would have been impossible to successfully remove the epoxy. Just as an FYI, I am a very experienced technician/engineer with exactly the correct tools for the job. I work almost daily with surface mount parts and even have a reflow oven and SMT microscope. I carefully used a new #11 Xacto blade to slowly scrape away the epoxy. It had completely penetrated the compression fitting on the male connector. The shield on the connector separated from the board.

In any case I had already purchased a replacement 5.4 GHz board with the epoxy removed on eBay. I put the new board in and all is working fine now. Guess that was a $75 experiment. I'm convinced for most people that you'll end up replacing the board if you try to remove the epoxy.

Mack

Hi Mack,
yes you are correct, the hard glue is hard to remove and it takes some skills, with acetone and a fine blade, and lots of time, about 30 minutes to scrape it away layer by layer. Then when it gets really thin.
I grab a pair of needle nose pliers, soak the connector again with acetone, and start wiggling left and right as to rotate the u.fl connector in the socket. After about 10 times using little force, the connector finally breaks loose and starts swiveling around. After that you pull on the connector dead on, and Voila'! it's done.

You are right, if the proper technique is not used you'll most likely end up replacing the receiver board.

That is also why I recommend people start with stage 2 mod which cannot cause any harm, and gets you started with long range flying.

Tony.

W4AX said:

Mack
what mod requires this? thanks

Mine was so full of that black crap I think DJI slopped it on the connection then snapped on the wire. That crap was inside the micro ring of that U.fl. What a bummer getting that stuff off.

If you are upgrading the 5.8GHZ receiver card and don't want to risk breaking the card you can purchase a brand new 5.8 ghz receiver card at http://www.ebay.com/itm/261593675668.

Many spend hours attempting to remove the black putty epoxy glue and many times the delicate circuit card will still break. We have the experience and technique to remove the epoxy and we guarantee our work.

This is a custom product that has the 2 stock antennas/ cables removed. Includes a new receiver card (DJI Spare Part No 16), a $30 value, and detached cable/ antennas. It is compatible with Phantom Vision 2 and Phantom Vision 2 Plus.

I can certainly vouch for Randy's RXs. Totally worth it, IMO. Ordered from eBay and got it like 2 days later and it works like champ. Also took the opportunity to buy one of the new DJI TXs with the gimbal control, and of course it paired up just fine.

randywf said:
If you are upgrading the 5.8GHZ receiver card and don't want to risk breaking the card you can purchase a brand new 5.8 ghz receiver card at http://www.ebay.com/itm/261593675668.

Many spend hours attempting to remove the black putty epoxy glue and many times the delicate circuit card will still break. We have the experience and technique to remove the epoxy and we guarantee our work.

This is a custom product that has the 2 stock antennas/ cables removed. Includes a new receiver card (DJI Spare Part No 16), a $30 value, and detached cable/ antennas. It is compatible with Phantom Vision 2 and Phantom Vision 2 Plus.

Are there any more cards available since I visited the link and it shows they are not available?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1