Factory reset phantom vision camera

Reaction score
Hello everyone,I am not sure what happened but all of a sudden i turned on my dii vision and the led on the back of the camera stopped working,i figured i would start by trying to rebind the camera to the repeater,i rebinded with no problem but still the led on the back of the camera still doesn't blink or light at all.Prior to this i connected the phantom to the pc to upgraded the software to groundststion 3.02 I read that possible a factory reset on the camera may work but i cannot find any directions on how to do this.Also i can see the phantoms wifi and connect to it with my phone but when i run the app on the phone i get a message its not connected,I checked all power connections to the camera.i can hear the fan spinning but no led indicator working,any ideas ????thank you
PS i wonder if updating the phantom software before updating the firmware in the camera could have caused the camera to stop working?

krsdj1 said:
Hello everyone,I am not sure what happened but all of a sudden i turned on my dii vision and the led on the back of the camera stopped working,i figured i would start by trying to rebind the camera to the repeater,i rebinded with no problem but still the led on the back of the camera still doesn't blink or light at all.Prior to this i connected the phantom to the pc to upgraded the software to groundststion 3.02 I read that possible a factory reset on the camera may work but i cannot find any directions on how to do this.Also i can see the phantoms wifi and connect to it with my phone but when i run the app on the phone i get a message its not connected,I checked all power connections to the camera.i can hear the fan spinning but no led indicator working,any ideas ????thank you
PS i wonder if updating the phantom software before updating the firmware in the camera could have caused the camera to stop working?

Is your current Camera firmware 1.19?

If not, follow this video instruction to update. Your Camera led should be on, as long as your camera has power and you have not fried it by plugging or unplugging power while the Vision is powered on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_euOoNTqIhU

Pull_Up said:
Is there any power to the camera at all - can you hear the fan inside spinning? At any time have you unplugged/replugged the camera whilst the aircraft was on? Did the camera stop working after you tried updating its firmware or before?
Thanks for getting back to me, after I updated the firmware I believe the camera stopped working, I do hear the fan spinning on the camera,the lights not lighting up,I can connect to the camera with my phone and as soon As I open the app I get a message not connected,I tried to unplug and plug in camera while it was running after it stopped working,like I. Said I hear it running, I read dji said it may need a factory reset but they never say how to perform this,any ideas? Or suggestions? Thanks a million

Sorry to say... that is likely the problem... These cameras should never be plugged or unplugged while powered on. There are several threads on this subject.

Its likely your camera is fried. Contact your vendor and see about a replacement.
Hopefully you still have warranty or a good vendor, willing to help.

RCRookie said:
Sorry to say... that is likely the problem... These cameras should never be plugged or unplugged while powered on. There are several threads on this subject.

Its likely your camera is fried. Contact your vendor and see about a replacement.
Hopefully you still have warranty or a good vendor, willing to help.
Wow I cannot believe the camera could be fryed,I sure hope the plug doesn't get loose in the air and burn out the cameras,I wonder why dji talks about factory resetting the camera

I was wondering,can i disconnect my broken camera and plug in another one from another fantom that i know is working? Now if i do this i understand i need to use the other repeater that its binded to but can this screw up this camera as well?

krsdj1 said:
I was wondering,can i disconnect my broken camera and plug in another one from another fantom that i know is working? Now if i do this i understand i need to use the other repeater that its binded to but can this screw up this camera as well?
I guess nobody has any idea,well I'm waiting on DJI for answers as soon as they get back to me

As long as you plug it in or unplug it only when the phantom is powered down. So it don't fry the other camera. Tho it may of also fried the plug inside that that cable plugs in to also or the components next to it on that same circuit.

Im pretty sure that its also designed to do that so as to ensure a lot of needed camera replacements that all would be not covered under warranty. If that plug is also un plugged and touches any thing on the tip and any of the other rings on the plug end it will fry the connecter and stuff on the main board or if it get in a crash and the cable pulls out. esp considering any of the plugs that nothing is hurt if its plugged in or un plugged they all use a flat blade plug that cant do that.

and I know DJI intentionally built in design flaws that force some one to use there very low quality and very expensive battery's that are not as smart as they are named to be. so I cant in any way put it past them to also out went out of there way to ensure putting that plug on the camera virtual ensures frying the camera and or the main board. Even if they just pinned it out so the power was on the top rings it would not be able to short out or burn out the camera if it was plugged in or unplugged while powered.

Id say they need a class action law suit slapped on them for the phantom 2s and visions. Tho that would only make the lawyers rich. and not do much to help any one that got stuck with one of these monstrosity's.

James I appricate your reply, Im not sure what is going on all I know is that I never unplugged the camera while the phantom power was on until it stopped working, maby your correct about how they built these phantoms, I hope to hear something soon from dji, I sent an email a few days ago and still waiting.

J.James said:

and I know DJI intentionally built in design flaws that force some one to use there very low quality and very expensive battery's that are not as smart as they are named to be. so I cant in any way put it past them to also out went out of there way to ensure putting that plug on the camera virtual ensures frying the camera and or the main board. Even if they just pinned it out so the power was on the top rings it would not be able to short out or burn out the camera if it was plugged in or unplugged while powered.

Id say they need a class action law suit slapped on them for the phantom 2s and visions. Tho that would only make the lawyers rich. and not do much to help any one that got stuck with one of these monstrosity's.

Sorry I couldn't let that past... Low quality and not as smart? Show me another battery on the market that has the same power to weight ratio and looks after its own cell balancing? I've got 4 of them, one I've had since October last year, and they've been fine. Expensive? Yes, they are due a price cut. Low quality? Not in my experience. Deliberately mis-manufactured?! I don't know what you've been smoking but if that was the case then everyone's battery would be bad, and everyone would have fried their cameras...

I'm not saying there won't be isolated issues - every mass production line can throw out a lemon now and again - but I've had no issues with either batteries or plugs. Then again I'm old-fashioned and believe in reading documentation... which clearly states not to plug or unplug the camera when the thing is powered up (and actually it's common practice not to plug/unplug anything electronic while the power's on - you wouldn't remove a component in your PC with the power on, would you?).

Sorry to the questioner for going off topic but... (shakes head)

I don't know what you've been smoking but if that was the case then everyone's battery would be bad, and everyone would have fried their cameras...

I guess you haven't seen all the posts here and other places about all the bad battery's. and the false non dji battery error issue
then.

They may have a good power to weight ration. But it does not seem like a good weight to power ratio if one goes in to low battery auto land in 5 minutes of flight. and if a battey is bunk they don't balance the cells. my brand spanking new battery has never taken a full charge right and wont balance one of the cells. It also goes to about 3000mah and says its fully charged and will discharge in a about a minute. and I looked around and I am not at all alone nore is it at all an isolated issue. If it was i don't think dji would of addressed the issue and also redesigned the new battery's like they did. and all the redesign does is address the bad data pin contact issue. They would be worth the extra $ if they worked and could be relayed on. But there not any thing I will ever feel I can depend on now.
my FC40 i have come to know it is pretty rock solid and dont have to many built in flaws and if they do they are flukes and easily ixed. ad even my lowest quality batterys for it are still dependable and give me twice the flight time o what the visions flay battery could. Actually I don't get any flight time out of the vision battery cause its not right and even if it lasted long enough to get in the air as soon as it was up it would be drained and have to come back down. Even just idling it lasts about 5 minutes. before its at 0%

and the plug on the camera even if its always a good idea to never plug or un plug any thing when its powered. If it pulls out on some one in a light crash or gets snagged on some thing and pulls out even just a tiny bit is enough to cause it to short out the camera and fry it and it can also fry parts on the main board. If its not intentionally designed that way. then they at least didn't intentionally design a plug that dont do that. Even if the pin outs were changed so the hot connection was at the top instead of the tip. So that they could not contact any thing else when going in or out and then it would not and could not harm any thing.
Even the pc analogy any thing that can not and should not be connected or disconnected either intentionally or by accident on a computer usually are not things that can even by accident come un plugged and thos that are prone to coming un plugged by accident such as a mouse or other eternal devise usually causes no harm. other then having to turn it off and back on. and not many things I can even think of in a pc that would fry its self or esp not fry other things even if some one plugged or un plugged it. Also there is nothing in a computer other then the main ac line going in that can even touch the amount of amperage that one can get if there is a short in any of the wires or circuits on the phantom which all directly drawn off the battery and even a small 3s lipo can deliver some serious amps. and can even melt a heavy gauge wire in a second. a computers power supply can not and does not supply that kind of amperage and even if shorted out directly trips a heat fuse or an automatic circuit breaker. so as to not damage any thing. That camera only needs a few milliamps to be powered and can even take it if a low amp power supply is even accidentally hooked up wrong with out any damage. But the wire powering from the phantom can deliver 1000's of times more amps then the camera draws and is plenty enough to fry most any thing. Between the camera and the battery or along the path. Some thing most that even know not to ever connect or disconnect that wire when the phantom is powered. DONT know that even if that wire is unplugged and flying with out a camrea if that plug touches any thing conductive its going to have a massive short. Such as if its dangling and the person has any carbon fiber accessory which is conductive that it can touch by accident while flying. Or even lands in some wet grass with some dew on it could cause a burn out. So it would be a good Ideal if for any reason some one is ever flying with that cable un plugged to cover the end or make sure it cant touch any thing and short out.

BTW I design and make electronic devises and have even made design mistakes in the past on things that seemed like a good way to to it. only to find out later was not the best way to do some thing and then change the design so the flaw is no longer an issue or causing constant warranty repair returns. and some times even when some thing is right from time to time there can be the occasional fluke in some thing. usually do to a bad component that will crap out early and cause a problem but when that happens if it only happens once in a great while its just a fluke. If some thing starts happening to many of them. Then its not just a fluke, its a problem.

Btw also sorry for going off topic to.

But as far as the original ? about the factory reset I have yet to find any thing showing or saying how that is done if it is even possible.. just other devises a factory reset is just an unpublished way to use a combination of buttons to reset some thing or has a button some place that needs to be pressed to reset it.

as far as I can tell there is no suck button on the fC200 being the only button is the button on the out side and there is no button inside. So if there is a factory reset its either got to be some thing done with soft ware or needs to be done at the factory some how. Because there are test contacts on the camera inside that can be use to test stuff on a pin board some times called a bed of nails. It may be possible they have a way of programing it threw a bed of nails. Which are what the tiny gold dots on a circuit board touch when its set on the bed of nails to test the circuits and some time are also how stuff is programed when its on the factory line. If thats the case with the camera then its not going to be any thing someone can do them selves at home. But if I had to guess its more then likely would be done threw software on an sd card that is self bootable. like how the firmware is updated.

about that power to weight ratio I just weighed the phantom battery at 363 grams and two of my 2700mah battery i have for my fc40 and with there big heavy plugs and the long 8 gauge heavy duty wires came in at 409 all together. And the plugs and wires are adding 15 grams to the weight of each battery. so if they were trimmed off were talking about 380 grams for 5200mah so still a lil bit heavier for the same power but not a huge difference. Even if I could only get 22 minutes of flight out of them that would be way more time then zero minutes out of a bad "dji smart battery. and people that have modded there phantom 2s by putting all phantom 1 or fc40s parts inside are getting 23 minuets flight time out of duel 2700's and even using the smart battery's with out issue being they don't have to worry about the 2 data contact points losing contact and triggering a false non dji battery fault.

Tho that contact issue can be easily fixed on the phantom 2's just by extending the 2 pins so they have more then the 1/64th to 1/32 of a inch contact clearance from the time they first touch to when the battery is fully inserted which puts hardly any compression on the springs. But if a tiny fine silver or even gold cap is soldered on to either the pis or the battery's contacts or even better both of them it will never lose contact. Due to the added thickness causing better compression and the better electrical quality of gold or silver and there anti corrosion property's compared to plane brass. DJi could even start plating them in gold and it would not even raise the cost to produce them by more then a fraction of a penny even with the price of gold or silver as high as it is being it would take such a small amount.They already are using gold traces in some of the circuit boards as it is. which is much better then copper clad boards.

Pull_Up said:
and actually it's common practice not to plug/unplug anything electronic while the power's on - you wouldn't remove a component in your PC with the power on, would you?

Well... I'm assuming, when you say "in your PC", you're talking about internal components.
But, even as an IT professional, I'm constantly plugging/unplugging external components (keyboards, external drives, ... ummmm... cameras). That is common practice. And I would consider the FC200 to be more akin to an external component than an internal.

I'm not an IT pro, but I just naturally wanted to be cautious with something that handled the whole WiFi side of the outfit... And had a noisy, whirry fan in it! But you're right, people don't read manuals and will pull and push stuff so there could have been a better design - but to accuse them of doing it deliberately to sell more units?! That's the bit that got my goat. I could agree if the manual said "unplug this whenever you like"! Anyway yet more off topic, sorry again.

I'm not an IT pro, but I just naturally wanted to be cautious with something that handled the whole WiFi side of the outfit... And had a noisy, whirry fan in it! But you're right, people don't read manuals and will pull and push stuff so there could have been a better design - but to accuse them of doing it deliberately to sell more units?! That's the bit that got my goat. I could agree if the manual said "unplug this whenever you like"! Anyway yet more off topic, sorry again.

Even if someone reads all the manuals to the point that they are blue in the face and can even have them memorized and know it forward and back. Still can even have an accident that could cause that plug to pull out some. Like if it get snagged on some thing. accidents do happen. But if it was still the way it is and the manual said "unplug this whenever you like" and it was causing cameras and or the main board to fry. I would think that if that was the case dji would be having to replace quite a lot of them under warranty. Being they could not then say some one didn't follow what it said in the manual.

And sorry if any thing I said got your goat for saying it seems as if they either designed it to fail or went out of there way to not change the design of that plug. But how ever they derived that idea it is a bad idea. esp considering its the ONLY plug in the whole system that any thing can be damaged by plugging or un plugging while powered on and its the only plug like that in the whole system and also happens to be for a part that happens to be the part that makes the phantom 2 vision be a vision aka flying camera. It costs almost 1/2 the price of the whole set up to replace the camera if it frys.

The person that I got my phantom vision from not only ended up frying the camera from the wire pulling out in a crash when the thing was still brand new. But the crash its self even was caused by the battery not reading right and the non dji battery error and it flipped out and didn't just auto land it actually flipped out and crashed. Causing the wire to pull out. So it was a double whammy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1