FAA vs. Pirker decision... Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Hey everyone... Total newb to this site, and to flying UAV's as well, but a TV news photojournalist for over 20 years.

Haven't seen anyone post regarding this recent court decision, If it was posted already, my apologies.

I've been monitoring news regarding the use of UAV's for commercial use which I would want to use it for to gather news events as Im sure every other news station in America would like to do as well. I know there's plenty of other people that fly their drones for photography and video purposes that are obviously for commercial use and question the FAA's ability to police and or enforce any laws. So, I'm curious as to what others think of this recent decision. Obviously it seems it'll help model aircraft enthusiast, but do you think someone could/would/will push the limits? or whatever? Just curious is all...

Thanks...

The freedom the decision grants is only temporary, once the FAA has their ducks in a row with the new regulations it'll change all over again.

This is a great source for input and legal perspective on that ruling and other uav-related legal matters: http://dronelawjournal.com/

Check out the entries there from March 6th and 7th.

I think hop in your car and go observe a busy intersection controlled by traffic lights. You will see folks stopped at a red light, folks rushing through on yellows and folks running red lights. The vast majority will stop on red, some will rush through on yellows and one or two will run a red. So with flying multi rotors. Some will follow, let say, conservative AMA guidelines, some will fly moderately and others will fly with total abandon regarding safety. Whether the FAA has control of model aircraft below 400 feet or not or whether they can control for-profit flight of model aircraft or not, you'll get at least three groups of people, like those at an intersection controlled by traffic lights.

Buk said:
I think hop in your car and go observe a busy intersection controlled by traffic lights. You will see folks stopped at a red light, folks rushing through on yellows and folks running red lights. The vast majority will stop on red, some will rush through on yellows and one or two will run a red. So with flying multi rotors. Some will follow, let say, conservative AMA guidelines, some will fly moderately and others will fly with total abandon regarding safety. Whether the FAA has control of model aircraft below 400 feet or not or whether they can control for-profit flight of model aircraft or not, you'll get at least three groups of people, like those at an intersection controlled by traffic lights.

Good analogy, and good point.

OI Photography said:
Good analogy, and good point.

Thanks, weather is crap. Can't fly, trying to catch up on reading and writing....oh and melting credit card with online shopping...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31