FAA to go live at 11:45AM EST Monday 8/29/16 on Part 107.

Reaction score
Looking at the FAA website, they will have a live telecast on Youtube Monday, August 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM EST regarding the new rules and part 107.

Here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Looks like they may provide waivers for operating outside the prior rules: i.e. Night flying, outside of VLOS, above 400 feet, operation from moving vehicle, flying over people, etc. if you read some of the updates in the link. I see they also mention a "Waiver might take 90 days" too.

Sounds like they are opening up a bit (Surprisingly!) and should be informative.

Mack

This can be good for us, especially if you need to fly over people commercially sometimes, filming, and/or sport events. I guess this means insurance will have to catch up, probably higher rates.

Just found this @ FAA website as well. Search showed you already posted about it. Nice!

The new ATC Portal should go live tomorrow as well (supposed to make it easier for ATC and pilots to make flight notifications. Not sure if it's commercial only or include recreational flights within 5 miles of classified airspace)

I'm a private pilot, already took and passed my Part 107 exam. I've got an appointment in a few days at the local FAA office to present my paperwork and receive my commercial UAS pilot's license. I'm looking forward to next week!

Reactions: Archerusa
Anyone see CBS TV news this AM about this? It showed a black DJI Matrice drone and the local news reporter (reader) here said, "New FAA rules require a license for all drone operators, no night flying, and under 400 feet."

This ought to be interesting, but I have a feeling everyone will walk away with their own interpretation just like the news reporter 'thinks' the new rules/regulations/laws say. Bad part is they are feeding the public at large too which likely will lead to more harassment to drone fliers by the uninformed.

Also, we have a lot of forest fires going on around here and they grounded the aerial fire fighting planes due to some drone flier in their airspace. So a few houses burned down in the meantime.

I watched it on YouTube. Department of Transportation and FAA representative gave introduction and very brief overview with short q & a. No surprises. However the section on waivers for flying after dark, flying over people and out of site flying was interesting. I will apply for waiver.

Anyone see CBS TV news this AM about this? It showed a black DJI Matrice drone and the local news reporter (reader) here said, "New FAA rules require a license for all drone operators, no night flying, and under 400 feet."

This ought to be interesting, but I have a feeling everyone will walk away with their own interpretation just like the news reporter 'thinks' the new rules/regulations/laws say. Bad part is they are feeding the public at large too which likely will lead to more harassment to drone fliers by the uninformed.

Also, we have a lot of forest fires going on around here and they grounded the aerial fire fighting planes due to some drone flier in their airspace. So a few houses burned down in the meantime.

Yeah I heard on the radio this morning in my area that fire fighting got haulted because of some idiot was flying around the fires. People like this are what gives the hobby a bad rep....I mean seriously.

Was there any mention of the FPV flying? Was there a change where you could not fly with a monitor (phone/tablet)?

Totally this. Its enough we already have people like that now, the media will just create more.

The FAA Administrator didn't help. He stated that Part 107 will allow flights "over sparsely populated areas". If THAT gets circulated around the media, we gonna have a lot of 'splainin' to do. :(

However, he also said that proposals were in the works to allow flights over people and beyond VLOS; he expects those to be out by the end of the year.

So, in reality has anything really changed yet regarding rules for those of us who are not flying for any commercial reasons?

So, in reality has anything really changed yet regarding rules for those of us who are not flying for any commercial reasons?

Naw, it just means the public will tattle on you for flying over their heads, flying at night, etc. more. Gives the po-po more to do as well: "Better go see if he has a license."

Even the radio is reporting it as "All drone operator's need a license" so no doubt the police will be called on you more often since they mention the "Over their heads, night, over 400 feet, etc." "Hey Ethel, call the po-po as a drone flew over more than visual sight range and over our heads too!"

I can't see how the FAA cannot make a distinction between an unlicensed and licensed flier as the public thinks with the news feeds. Somehow they will have to tie the hobbyist and commercial flier together, much like a cop sees you with a large camera in CA and determines you are automatically in violation for not having a commercial permit as your gear "Looks professional, "Can't have a tripod (Professional = Commercial use.)," nor can they separate video from still since cameras do both now and video is a heftier fine and permit. Given an option, they'll go for the higher priced one for permits here. Thank you Hollywood.

I can't see how the FAA cannot make a distinction between an unlicensed and licensed flier as the public thinks with the news feeds.

To be fair, they did indeed say that these rules (Part 107) concerned commercial flights and that there was a larger community of hobby fliers - though he didn't say explicitly that there were other rules for them.

To be fair, they did indeed say that these rules (Part 107) concerned commercial flights and that there was a larger community of hobby fliers - though he didn't say explicitly that there were other rules for them.

He did say the "Hobbyist rules would appear later in the year." Work in progress. I could see them allowing waivers for those with a license, and no waivers for hobbyists with no license. He also said the night flying and over people waivers were given to CNN News too. Individuals he didn't say.

How the policing of all this will be interesting, and could be a reason the FAA is doing this as they can argue for even more money to police drones in general since general aviation here has shrunk to being a tarmac of storage carports for RV vehicles at our local airport where former plane tie-downs once were. Tough to find a small plane among all the RVs there now paying storage fees.

Our pilot testing center is in a mostly vacated California Aeronautical Training University. They have dorm rooms and basketball courts, but no students that I saw today. They used to run a lot of Japanese pilots through there, but it seems deserted now. Only three secretaries that I counted that run the FAA testing computers (CATS).

So from what I can gather, seems nothing really has been changed since the initial ruling? Basically you need a certificat to fly commericially and hobbyists just need to follow rules. I see nothing specific to FPV mainly tablet and phones.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Anytime I have been at an event where the TV news folks were present - the report of events they gave was completely inaccurate.

Registered for my commercial license today. Lets see how this goes. I use my P3A for mapping and 3D models of construction projects. I know rules and regulations need to be made to keep up with new technologies. Having said that, It just seems like everyday it is becoming harder and harder for people that actually follow the rules. Whilst people that could care less keep making bad choices and making us all look bad. So the world thinks all UAS pilots are idiots who fly over fires and land on the White House Lawn. While people like me have to reschedule all of my jobs for this week until I get my certificate now.

Sorry for the rant.

Naw, it just means the public will tattle on you for flying over their heads, flying at night, etc. more. Gives the po-po more to do as well: "Better go see if he has a license."

Even the radio is reporting it as "All drone operator's need a license" so no doubt the police will be called on you more often since they mention the "Over their heads, night, over 400 feet, etc." "Hey Ethel, call the po-po as a drone flew over more than visual sight range and over our heads too!"

I can't see how the FAA cannot make a distinction between an unlicensed and licensed flier as the public thinks with the news feeds. Somehow they will have to tie the hobbyist and commercial flier together, much like a cop sees you with a large camera in CA and determines you are automatically in violation for not having a commercial permit as your gear "Looks professional, "Can't have a tripod (Professional = Commercial use.)," nor can they separate video from still since cameras do both now and video is a heftier fine and permit. Given an option, they'll go for the higher priced one for permits here. Thank you Hollywood.
Which probably means even more pilots getting hassled now. When I was into RC trucks I could go out and drive it around with no worries of getting hassled at all. I just wish I had the same feeling with drones.

Since the FAA is putting Part 107 out there for UAV's, does that also fall under RC
Lanes and copters ans such? If not they should to be fair.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers