FAA Task Force Recommends New UAS Registration Process

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The Department of Transportation (DOT) created a registration task force (RTF) in October to submit recommendations to the FAA on the registration requirements for small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).

Here are the key points from the report:​
  • All UAS weighing more than 250 grams (~½ pound) must be registered prior to flight. Most UAS, including Skycatch UAS, exceed 250 grams.​
  • The proposed registration process will be a free, electronic or app-based system, which will provide the registrant with an electronic certificate of registration and a universal registration number that can be applied to all UAS owned by the registrant.​
  • Moving forward, commercial UAS operators should be permitted to use either the existing FAA registration system or the new, electronic/app-based system.​
It’s important to note the FAA must still review the recommendations, then draft and issue a final ruling before the new registration requirements will take effect.

FAA REPORT

Last edited:
The Department of Transportation (DOT) created a registration task force (RTF) in October to submit recommendations to the FAA on the registration requirements for small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).

Here are the key points from the report:​
  • All UAS weighing more than 250 grams (~½ pound) must be registered prior to flight. Most UAS, including Skycatch UAS, exceed 250 grams.​
  • The proposed registration process will be a free, electronic or app-based system, which will provide the registrant with an electronic certificate of registration and a universal registration number that can be applied to all UAS owned by the registrant.​
  • Moving forward, commercial UAS operators should be permitted to use either the existing FAA registration system or the new, electronic/app-based system.​
It’s important to note the FAA must still review the recommendations, then draft and issue a final ruling before the new registration requirements will take effect.

FAA REPORT
hopefully they drop the really dumb requirement for commercial use of having to get a sports pilots license - awaiting 333 approval - been on docket since 11/2

hopefully they drop the really dumb requirement for commercial use of having to get a sports pilots license - awaiting 333 approval - been on docket since 11/2
I agree. I hope they allow training or a certification vs. an actual full scale pilots license.

We can't know for sure until it's made law, but it seems from what we're hearing, they're going in the direction of the "minimum" of things they might have done.

Pardon my ignorance but what does FPV mean? Never mind, I forgot there was a acronym forum -
Yeah, first person view. :) It's actually a pretty cool craft. If it were a bit cheaper I would get one for fun.

It's a toy, so it should be priced as such. It's $29.99 at the most. Exactly how far do they think you can go on Bluetooth to justify that price tag?:rolleyes:

It's a toy, so it should be priced as such. It's $29.99 at the most. Exactly how far do they think you can go on Bluetooth to justify that price tag?:rolleyes:
The Carbon flyer? They claim 240' range. It's a pimped out paper airplane... Good for kids. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub